Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I just quarter or either cabbage heads and do a traditional ferment. I have some every so often for its bacterial benefits. I never had luck with cucumbers, but I believe you have to use pickling salt to keep their crispness.
Nope.
Just use either a couple fresh Oak or Vine leaves.
If not available a bay leaf or so will work. As will a fat pinch black tea.
It is the tannins that do the crispness…

Never had a soggy pickle yet. :)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I find a small amount of turmeric rounds out the flavor of lamb, especially fatty cuts. Pork is a fairly bland meat. It can be prepared in so many ways. The possibilities are endless.

Reactions: arkitect

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Thank you.

I have tahini. Our only difference is the cumin and the amount of tahini. I’ve made it with and without cumin.
(The baking soda was unnecessary because I used canned chickpeas.)
3T lemon felt like too much.

Mine:
16 oz garbanzo beans (drained if canned)
3-4 T lemon juice
1/4 c of the garbanzo bean liquid
2T tahini
2 cloves garlic
1/2 t salt (to taste)
2T olive oil

Add ingredients (except olive oil) to the blender and mix on low 3-4 minutes until smooth.

Plate
Score a shallow furrow/groove across the surface and fill with olive oil
Garnish with parsley or cilantro

You really have to use dried chickpeas. The canned ones just do not have the same flavour. And they're usually overcooked and not half as tasty. It will make a world of difference for your recipe!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You really have to use dried chickpeas. The canned ones just do not have the same flavour. And they're usually overcooked and not half as tasty. It will make a world of difference for your recipe!

Hm: I'm with @Gutwrench on this: Canned chickpeas (good quality Italian ones), cannellini beans, and borlotti beans tend to be my solution, as well.
[doublepost=1548089556][/doublepost]The onions and garlic have been added to the dish, and the sausages and sweet potato turned and returned to the oven.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'll use canned cannellini but not chickpeas, because I like to control how cooked the chickpeas get up front, and with how much salt near the end, depending on what I'm going to do with them later on. Cannellini I generally use only in a soup (or sometimes a chili) that has tomatoes in it and some high seasoning so they're not as prominent in the dish as say in a hummus.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll use canned cannellini but not chickpeas, because I like to control how cooked the chickpeas get up front, and with how much salt near the end, depending on what I'm going to do with them later on. Cannellini I generally use only in a soup (or sometimes a chili) that has tomatoes in it and some high seasoning so they're not as prominent in the dish as say in a hummus.

I find cannellini lovely in a soothing pasta dish (garlic and onions and pancetta feature prominently, too); sometimes, I will add roasted tomatoes to that mix, sometimes, not.

And also, they will go well - or work well - in a sort of artisan sausage (with Toulouse sausage, chorizo sausage, or simple spicy sausage) dish - again, with garlic, onion, perhaps pancetta, and certainly tomato (roasted), plus a good stock.

Reactions: LizKat

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Oh. Easy. Have multiple vines. Is it a compound in the leaves and it goes in with the pickles?
I just put one vine leaf at the bottom of the jar and one on top of the pickles. Then press it down below the brine with a sterilised and pierced plastic lid.
Some pics below:

IMG_6021.jpeg
IMG_6019.jpeg

[doublepost=1548091593][/doublepost]
Filthy evening and a nice, soothing, warming, comforting dinner is in the oven.
Sounds lovely. :)
Luckily most the of bad weather will pass over us tonight.
Much prefer it that way.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I just put one vine leaf at the bottom of the jar and one on top of the pickles. Then press it down below the brine with a sterilised and pierced plastic lid.
Some pics below:

View attachment 816792 View attachment 816793
[doublepost=1548091593][/doublepost]
Sounds lovely. :)
Luckily most the of bad weather will pass over us tonight.
Much prefer it that way.

And I must say I absolutely adore those jars; I tend to keep my various coffees in French jars of that sort.

Dinner (roasted Toulouse sausages, spicy Mexican sausages, sweet potato, onions, and garlic) is almost ready; the carer is preparing rice for herself as well.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Family recipe there? Can't say I've seen fennel seed instead of dill seed. Or cloves in a long time. Allspice fell out of favor decades ago it seems. For the pepper, if I may, I'd recommend getting your hands on habaneros. Fresh ones. They do a much better service to pickled veg than those dry or fresh Thai and or birdseye chilis. They have an almost citrus-fruit like flavor before the warm heat washes in.

I began using them about four or five years ago because of a post I'd seen on egullet. Much better flavor overall.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
And if there's someone at your work whom you dislike, make a special jar with some ghost chilis and give that to them.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Family recipe there? Can't say I've seen fennel seed instead of dill seed. Or cloves in a long time. Allspice fell out of favor decades ago it seems. For the pepper, if I may, I'd recommend getting your hands on habaneros. Fresh ones. They do a much better service to pickled veg than those dry or fresh Thai and or birdseye chilis. They have an almost citrus-fruit like flavor before the warm heat washes in.
Not a family recipe. I just go by taste and what I feel like on the day. :) A half a handful of this and a pinch of that…

I shall try the Habaneros next time.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Goats cheese, acorn squash, fresh thyme and rosemary from the garden, and some frozen vacuum packed duck confit from the last time I made cassoulet. Usually don't use meat in freshly made ravioli when utilizing a squash and cheese, but the flavor combination may be interesting. I've seen mortadella once used in Italy...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Oh, yum.

I adore Pad Thai.

It also brings back the memory - well over a decade ago, perhaps shortly before, or shortly after, my father's death, Decent Brother and I had taken Mother out to a Thai restaurant and she was tucking into Pad Thai with pure gluttony and uninhibited greed, and a clear and determined focus. She did love her food.

My brother looked at her, at how her head was bent at an angle over her plate, and observed (actually accurately) that she reminded him of those bears you see in nature documentaries fishing for salmon. She lifted her head, and burst out laughing, and we did too. But it was true.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.