Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I do have a convection oven. So no advantage to a countertop unit?
Not that I’m aware of, I think the small form factor is more a hinderance than anything. I tried one at the in-laws’ and it was a bit of a pain to make enough potatoes for everyone to snack on. Perhaps someone who has used one more extensively can offer additional advice.

Reactions: samcraig

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not that I’m aware of, I think the small form factor is more a hinderance than anything. I tried one at the in-laws’ and it was a bit of a pain to make enough potatoes for everyone to snack on. Perhaps someone who has used one more extensively can offer additional advice.

Yes, for potatoes, one needs a decent sized oven if appetites (and I don't know anyone who doesn't like roasted potatoes) are to be satisfied.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
One advantage of the Actifry for me is that the chips, roast potatoes aren’t burnt on or stuck to the container as they’ve been constantly stirred during cooking. In an oven you either have to coat them in fat to stop them sticking or remove and flip at various points. The Actifry will cook with a teaspoon of oil and with very little mess. I put all the removable parts in the dishwasher at the end too and to be fair it’s an easy appliance to clean. I got it free about 4 years ago and use it a couple of times a month I’d say.

Reactions: SDColorado

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Ok - have to ask this crowd. Air fryers. Worth it or not? If so - which one?
Well, I don't own one and really cannot see myself getting one. If I want to fry something, then I fry it the old fashioned way. Fried food, done properly, does not absorb a great deal of fat. And what fat it does absorb lends itself to flavour. That said here are some recommendations from Consumer Reports (they have a great Facebook page where people are always asking these questions and they have many answers).

https://www.consumerreports.org/air-fryers/best-air-fryers-of-the-year/

Reactions: samcraig

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I don't own one and really cannot see myself getting one. If I want to fry something, then I fry it the old fashioned way. Fried food, done properly, does not absorb a great deal of fat. And what fat it does absorb lends itself to flavour. That said here are some recommendations from Consumer Reports (they have a great Facebook page where people are always asking these questions and they have many answers).

https://www.consumerreports.org/air-fryers/best-air-fryers-of-the-year/

Frying is terrific for some foods, but root vegetables thrive on roasting in a hot oven (with plenty of olive oil).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And I read a version of one of my favourite recipes this evening: Tagliatelle with gorgonzola and walnuts. Yum.

Yes, I prepare this for myself; yes, I love it. But, yes, I can still read about it and drool, and salivate ceaselessly.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Chicken tagine with the olives and preserved lemon. Couscous made with a mixture of chicken and lamb broth. Roasted vegetables. Was going to be snapper with the preserved lemon in a salsa/relish but the fish monger didn't have any snapper. Unfortunately.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Instant Pot cooked Beef stew and dumplings.
15b9e96afce22b8ef3a475362e6e679d.jpg

Triple tier Victoria Sponge cake for my wife’s birthday to follow!
ca99868cafa5ee879fa9fe2d09e0a29e.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed this particular restaurant is rather rare in Geneva, good Chinese cuisine and value for money. Lots of Asian clients, always a good sign as well.

Ah, when the ethnic group the restaurant is designed to showcase eats there as well, that is an excellent sign.

Whenever they travelled abroad on holiday, my parents knew to look for an understated restaurant where the locals were to be found tucking in, and were rarely disappointed.

Reactions: decafjava

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Like Real Deal, I am also having a beef stew from the Instant Pot. Sans dumplings. I'll also be making a skillet full of cornbread to go with it.

Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.