What is/was for dinner?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gutwrench, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Enjoyed a superlative goulash in a genuine Hungarian restaurant in the Hungarian region of western Ukraine.

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I do like a good goulash. Back in the day when I was a young Special Forces trainee, one of my mates was from Ukraine. His mother made a great goulash and made sure I ate plenty of it when we visited. He is now retired from the Army and is back in Ukraine doing medical work.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Sounds delightful.

4. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I also managed to lay hands on (thanks to some of the interpreters who were able to source it for me) some seriously good (i.e. authentic) Hungarian paprika.

5. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Actually, this was so authentic that the menu described a dish called "gulyas".

6. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Yesterday evening (or night, to be more precise), I thoroughly enjoyed and tucked into a very tasty meal (frankfurters, potato salad, sauerkraut, mustard) in Frankfurt airport.

Served with a large beer, of course.

7. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

The carer's friend turned up with a delicious homemade noodle dish (entirely unexpected and wholly welcome). Yum.

8. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Sushi (purchased in the farmers' market) with raspberries (also purchased in the farmers' market), organic brown sugar (a little) and raw organic double cream to follow.

9. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Butter chicken. Its butter.... its chicken... its gooood!

10. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

9EEE0794-1CE9-496F-914B-3CCD2B60F704.jpeg

11. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

12. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

I pulled it off at 6:00 am. It isn’t as dry as it looks. It would have been perfect if sliced at 8-ish. I let it cool too much.

It has a nice tender beefy flavor and the bark is probably the best.
    (1/2 c of 50/50 course salt & pepper.)

3AB400C3-3912-4E71-80CB-285C18761F98.jpeg 280DE262-6BA8-4205-B5F1-B4130E3CCE82.jpeg

13. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Looks delicious.

Do enjoy.

I held off preparing the Hungarian fish goulash (spicy soup) that I had planned, and will attempt it tomorrow.

14. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

15. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Organic, free range, eggs: Simply scrambled. Very tasty.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I was going to have steak and chips last night until I sliced my hand open after sharpening a knife!! Cooking injuries are the worst as you usually do them whilst very hungry!
    [​IMG]
    10 hours in A&E and minor surgery later with 10 stitches I still didn’t get my steak and chips!! :(

17. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Nasty.

That tells me that the knife was seriously sharp.

The worst injuries I have had from sharpened knives were the ones I didn't even feel at first, until my eyes - with growing, appalled disbelief - informed me of what was happening, an unwelcome something which was happening in a vivid shade of violent red.

18. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

Good lord man! What happened in surgery? I was about to say on the bright side it wasn’t in the wrist or on the inside of the knuckles where tendons could be involved.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 29, 2019 ---
    Yeah, but most dangerous knives are usually the dull ones.

19. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Perhaps, but any cuts, or injuries I have received have been from not paying attention - letting my mind wander - while cutting, slicing, chopping (or washing up) with a really sharp knife.

And you should see me with a sharp German scissors when addressing fingers or toes. Not a happy history, especially - again - when I allow my mind to wander.

20. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I feel your pain! While I've never managed to seriously slice myself to the point of needing stitches, I have more than a few scars and lost a bit of finger tip in a salad I was prepping in the restaurant once many years ago. Did it again a couple of years ago at home and the doctors just super glued it back on. Had my executive chef slice off a goodly portion of the heel of his palm at work once, while using a mandolin. Yeesh. I still get the willies using them. Hope you get healed up soon and finally get your steak!

Gutwrench, you are absolutely right. The worst cuts I have sustained in my life have been from dull knives. They hurt the worse and do more damage. Mainly, because you are applying more force trying to cut.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Ouch man!!!
    The only semi-serious cooking injury I had was due to idiocy (of mine). I just grabbed, and I mean grabbed at full strength and no protection, the handle of a 13.25" Lodge Cast Iron Skillet that had been on the fire for a good 15 minutes. Oh my, the pain. The continuous, unrelenting pain that lasted for hours...

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Cheers peeps, I slipped whilst putting a freshly sharpened knife back in the block after washing it. I rammed it in like a fool and slid my hand off the handle and down the blade as my hand was still wet. Ended up with a 45mm long slice through my palm. I knew it was bad when I opened my hand and realised I had half a cup of blood running through my fingers and all over the kitchen floor lol. I rinsed it under the tap and I could see the tendons in my hand, ouch!

I prefer cooking with really sharp knives as they are safer (usually) as they limit slips like when chopping tomatoes and potatoes etc. Think I need more care going forward though! Luckily I didn’t damage any tendons in the end. Thought I’d share anyway lol :)

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Definitely a good news! Give me a five! oops.... (too soon? :p )

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Haha, I went to work for an hour this afternoon and was called ‘Keith Lemon’ by everyone lol. Might not be known in the US but he’s a comedy character with a hand bandage :)