What is your gender and iPhone color?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bollweevil, Sep 15, 2012.

?

What is your gender and what color is your iPhone?

1. Male, black iPhone

57.5%
  2. Female, black iPhone

7.5%
  3. Male, white iPhone

27.6%
  4. Female, white iPhone

6.0%
  5. I don't have an iPhone

1.3%
  1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

After looking at the usernames from my other poll, I think females might like white iPhones more, and males might prefer black iPhones. Let's test this hypothesis!

Please answer the poll.

Edit: I am male and all my iPhones have been black.

2. kamran9558 macrumors regular

3. taedouni macrumors 65816

Gender is irrelevant to the color of a phone. I had a black iPhone 4, white iPhone 4S and now a black iPhone 5. I get what looks to be the best looking color. In my opinion, white was the best looking color for the 4/4S

4. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I like the white iPhone, mainly because it looks cleaner, as it doesn't show fingerprints and stuff as much as black ones. (after the coating wears off of course)

5. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I know what you're getting that

I'm a male with a black iPhone and will probably pick up the black iPhone 5 this Friday. That said, I was a HUGE believer in the white iPhone back when the 4 launched and was beyond disappointed when the white version was delayed for month and months on end. I think it's sexy but eventually settled for the black iPhone 4 a few months into waiting (looking back I'm pissed as hell I held out for so long). This time around I think I'll also go with the black again but I'm not entirely sure. I love the look of the white and will spend a few minutes in the store looking at each and making a decision. Although I am leaning black at the moment.

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The black iPhone 5 looks very sleek and stealthy, but two of my favorite colors are white and silver, so I went with that.

7. renesandy macrumors regular

renesandy

I had a black 4, then a white 4 when it came out. I just didn't like it. Went ahead to a black 4S and now going to a black 5.

8. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Statistical analysis update

There is not enough data in this thread yet, so I looked at my prior thread. I classified usernames as "male", "female", or "unknown". There were only 27 usernames with clear gender. I was very conservative about assigning genders to usernames: I only did it if the username contained an unambiguously gender-specific first name or a term like "dude". If a username ended in "-ina" but was not clearly a human first name, then I left it "unknown".

The result of a 2x2 Fisher's exact test with n=27? Marginally significant! It is actually the first statistically significant result to come from that poll.

I am very curious what this poll shows.

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Male. I had a black 3GS and white 4. I went with black this time since it looks a lot sleeker and the colors blend together really well. The white just seems to plain and like they could have done something else to the aluminum or maybe the white glass bands to make it look better.

10. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Why we need a poll to reaffirm that MacRumors is a sausage party, I don't know ;)

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I got reamed for making a thread like this. I really think you are retard if you cannot logically think more people with white iphones are females vs male. Does that mean males don't have or like white phones...NO! It just means there is clearly more females with white iphones.

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Female, black iphone. You won't get me getting a white smartphone in general (at least on purpose). Black is the perfect color for framing a screen that is changing the image because it is neutral and colors pop more on it (some colors may do fine on a light screen but in general black does better for making colors pop).

Besides, I like black, it looks sleek and more aggressive. White says to me boring and bland honestly. I really don't get apple fans obsession with white :confused:.

13. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

The black / white ratio in this thread is significantly different than the black / white ratio in my other thread.

Yeah, statistics are not always right. I am the first one to admit this. I really cannot think of a legitimate cause for this latest finding.

----------

I performed a 2x2 Fisher's exact test on the data from this poll.

p = 21.6%, not significant.

If these proportions hold for future data, we need about 15 times as many women to respond before the difference reaches statistical significance.

14. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

15. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

With 90 votes:

p = 35%, by Fisher's exact test, one-tailed. No statistically significant difference between male and female preference.

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I'm female, and all of my iPhones have been black.

17. HighFlyers macrumors member

HighFlyers

It's personal preference, to me the black is boring and bland :p

18. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

This poll is completely discriminatory against intersex individuals.

:p

19. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

20. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

21. kevink2 macrumors 65816

White/Male. I like to alternate. If Apple had provided a decent 3rd color, I may have done that. White 3G, black 4, white 5.

Though since I've ordered a case, I'm not sure how much of the white will show.

22. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Male and I have had both colors but feel white is a bit more effeminate color. Had one of the female nurses I work with say the same thing when she saw my white i..... I came in the next day with one of my daughters hello kitty cases the.... she loved it!

I typically go black, my wife got a white one for the first time this go around.