What is your Mac Pro sitting on?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chrono1081, Aug 22, 2010.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what you all sit your mac pro on if its not on your desk.

Mine should be here tomorrow *crosses fingers* and the carpet in my room is too spongy to sit it on (and I don't like it to be on the floor anyway. I thought finding a small stand or something that would let it fit under my desk would be easy but boy was I wrong! (And i'm not skilled enough to make one)

So what is your mac pro sitting on? Does anyone know where I can find something like this? (Sorry for the quality. I'm in a hurry haha)

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The carpet and I hate that. Dust magnet that I clean often.

3. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I have a carpet in my den, so I use one of these

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...-EC81-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

They work great.

4. eponym macrumors 6502

You can make something like that VERY easily.

1) Go buy a board/shelf for the base piece
    2) Buy 4 short legs that would be used for a standalone cabinet or vanity (I know Ikea sells some nice, cheap ones)
    3) Attach feet to board/shelf

:D

[My MP sits on my desk, by the way—but it's 7 feet wide]

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If I had an extra 100 to blow on making my MP look cool it would be hanging from this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

But I just have it sideways on one of these, an 8 dollar black/brown lack end table from Ikea:
    [​IMG]

6. -SD- macrumors 6502

Mine's sat inside a Vika Annefors trestle, so it's at least raised up off the floor a little.

:apple:

7. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My old one sat on the floor - my new one is going to sit on the desk for now - too much dust.

D

9. davelanger macrumors 6502a

10. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Well is there any additional stress put on the top two handles? Causing them to break or bend

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not a Mac Pro, but my old MDD G4 sits next to the cat box and it sucks in a lot of cat fur and little dust. I've resorted to taping dryer sheets to the back to trap it all. I've actually noticed a decrease in dust after I've started keeping it on all night and all day.

12. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

What do you mean by "spongy"?

The Mac Pro is around 50 pounds or more depending on how you have it configured it's not going to move much once you have it in place. If you are worried about it falling over.

As for dust that can be a problem but it does sit about 2 to 3 inches off the ground with the feet.

A simple and cheap solution would be to go to the local lumber yard and get them to cut you a piece of plywood. 2 foot long and 1 foot wide would be more than enough. Then just lay that on the floor and set the Mac Pro on top of it. Not the prettiest but it would be cheap.

14. iVoid macrumors 65816

I had my G5 and then MacPro sitting on top of some glass cinder blocks. Really made an inexpensive glass stand for it.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Spongy as in shag carpet or carpet with long/thick weave.

16. Vylen macrumors 65816

Oh, that gives me an idea... I have a left over Acrylic sheet from an old project... I can put my Mac Pro on top of it (and something under the sheet... haven't thought of what yet).. since currently it's just sitting on the carpet :p

17. wally21 macrumors member

Here's my setup. I've had it this way for a while now with no visible signs of stress on the case. These things just look like they were meant to hang.

Attached Files:

18. Vylen macrumors 65816

I would love to do that but the underside of my desk is currently occupied by powerboards and cables which I am re-orgranising right now with ;)

But a note on the handles... it would take more than the machines own weight to bend 2.93mm thick (i was bored and measured it with calipers) aluminium.. especially since stuff like (yacht) masts can be made of this stuff

19. wally21 macrumors member

I agree about the strength of the case. I'm actually more worried about my table giving out (it's only ikea) than any direct stress on the mac pro.

20. sboerup macrumors 6502

Exactly . . . this is why the "UPS WARNING" thread is so shocking. That must have been one heck of a drop to make that happen.

21. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Haha, that's amazing! Too bad you can't take it higher off the ground, though. I like the roof, too.

22. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about going with those Lack tables. Does it feel pretty sturdy on one of those? You have it laying on its side?

23. seek3r macrumors 6502

Mine sits on the floor under my desk, I prop my feet up on it :)

24. glassbathroom macrumors 6502

This is a Sonnet Maccuff I think. I always fancied one of these since my original G5, but never got round to buying one. Has anyone used one? How is it?

They are a bit pricy. I thought by now there would be similar cheaper options.