What is your opinion on Apple's obsession with thinness?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 9, 2011.

?

How thin should Apple make the iPad 3 and beyond?

1. I wouldn't mind making it a bit thicker (like original iPad) to add superior features

73 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. The iPad 2 is juuuuust right! :) Now just add as many features for this size

77 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Thinner! Lets just see how thin it can go!

125 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Apple loves thin products. The iPad 2 is now 33% thinner than the original!! YAY!! :D But realize, somethings gotta give. Sure Apple claims they were able to keep the same 10 hr battery life.. but what if they had kept it the same size. Maybe they use a bigger battery to increase bat life to 12 hours. and also by saving money on slightly bigger parts they would have added a 5mp camera and hd facetime cam on the front. Maybe they also would have been able to make a 128gb model or add an SD slot... but instead they made it a few mm thinner.. Was it thin enough already? is it thin enough now? Would you like apple to continue to decrease the size on each revision as long as they are able to keep decent specs?

2. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Replace the word "Apple" with "Steve" in your post. If you watch the original iPod release Steve will mention that the 1 inch thick iPod is incredibly thin with a great battery life.

3. sam2428 macrumors 6502

I dont think it is just Apple's obsession...i think its more of a consumer obsession.

We want portable products without the bulk but still the functionality. (at least thats what I am looking for with most my mobile gadgets). :D

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

5. Star-fire macrumors 6502

I think it's plenty thin now, of course I haven't held one but it's thinner then my iphone 4 so I don't see how it can get much thinner, from this point on I'd rather see weight reduction, under 1lb would be awesome!

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I, like most others, love things to be as thin and light as possible.

But, unlike perhaps some I don't make this my No.1 priority.

I think iMac's are too thin as the design compromises what Apple can fit in them, so they are at a stage or form over function.

Funnily enough I did think this with the iPad. Are Apple going to shoot themselves in the foot here once again?

Perhaps it won't happen, but I would hate Apple not to be able to offer the same high speed hardware as others in years to come as they put thinness above all else, and can they now make a future iPad thicker than iPad2 will be, or have they set themselves a goal that may not be possible as years go on?

7. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

No I don't want a thicker iPad so they can add a 10MP camera to the back so someone can use the thing on vacation at Disneyland as their primary camera.

8. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

Part of it is Apple responding to consumers and reports.

Thinness does not always equal lighter, but there is a strong relationship there.

How many times over the last year have we heard, "Geez, this iPad is so wonderful and great, but man oh man isn't it just too heavy? It's almost so heavy I cannot read with it!"

So they addressed it.

As for me, 33% means little when you realize that it's only 4mm. That's it. 4mm. I cannot think of a case in the world where 4mm would matter that much, and I'll always have mine in some sort of case because just putting something on the screen doesn't protect it from shock.

Personally, I want to see them increase it's usefulness through the iOS updates, screen resolution, and the device's overall computing power. If it gets 5mm thicker, I don't care.

9. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Interesting point. If there is some absolute must have feature in the future that would require a thicker frame, would Apple be able to give in and go thicker or just not use that till the feature is thin enough to fit in the 3mm iPad 7?

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

That's is my exact concern.

Will they say, when planning, making a later model thicker than the previous model, it just out of the question, totally?

Hopefully it won't be an issue, but you could paint yourself into a corner, say in time, things get a bit hotter due to Mhz/Ghz, and your thinness started getting in the way of advancing the technical side of it.

I hope this will never happen as of course, faster, thinner and lighter it always great if you can have all three.

11. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The thinness is awesome.

I'm still waiting for Apple to make the Mac Pro 1" thick.

12. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

I like it, but thin sometimes gets too thin. The current iPod Touches are to thin for my liking, especially for a handheld for games. iPhone 4 is pretty perfect for me. iPad seemed to heavy and think, so iPad 2 should be great. Cant wait to get one friday.

13. bossxii macrumors 68000

When I call fold/roll up my tablet device, which unfolds/rolls into a nice 12 to 15" screen that is a full functioning computer with no restrictions, has a battery that lasts for a week/month etc...

Bottom line technology will continue to get smaller/faster etc.. it has been on this path for what 50 or 60 years since the first room filling IBM vacuum tube computer.

If the iPad were 1/4 lb vs 1.5lbs think how much easier it would be to hold and use, lighter while maintaining function and battery life will always be the goal. Why would I want a laptop that weights 12lb when they can now pack that same amount or more power and tech into a laptop that weights 2 or 3lbs.

14. stev3n macrumors 6502

I think the thinness is good. Who wants to carry around bulky devices?

15. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

16. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Valid points, but I don't think we're at the "okay this is thin enough" stage yet. There is a limit though right? I mean, if they made it as thin as a piece of paper, I'd say that's too thin. So, there is a point at which it's too thin...just not yet. IMO.

17. PCClone macrumors 6502a

18. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

If apple released a product which wasn't thiner, faster, lighter people would buy other products. It's their innovation (well that's debatable) but there consist changing and updating that keeps people buying. No one buys other tablets not because they have better specs but because they are bulky, heavy and ugly. Apple work on the most important aspect of tablet computers - the aesthetics.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

It showcases their engineering prowess and their "what shouldn't be there shouldn't be there" mantra. It has obviously served them well.

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Yeah, but they both have to be useful irrespective of size :D

21. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

It is a very valid point on "what if" in order to make the iPad 3 with retina display last 10 hours and have 30 hours of standby that they need a bit more battery and it won't fit the iPad 2 thickness. Then what? They do love to make things thinner and thinner and thinner....

22. zenio macrumors 6502

It depends on the product. A distinction that's beyond Apple's limited common sense.

The MBP's thin body plus sloppy thermal paste application equals the quality of a barebones junk laptop, and runs hot to prove it.

Apple is better than this. Sadly, they don't care.

23. kmanmx macrumors 6502

Limited common sense ? See that is where you are wrong.Common sense says there products are selling extremely well, so don't go do anything to change that. And they don't. And it works. People forget Apple are a business.

As to the question, the iPad 2 looks like a great size. I wouldn't want it as 'fat' as the old ipad, or much thinner than the new one. Too thin compromises structural integrity and a sense of quality, it also makes it harder to hold.

24. al1cre macrumors member

In the case of phones, a phone can be too thin or too small to hold confortably for any length of time.

Also, many people put cases around their devices, so if a device is a fraction of an inch smaller but you need or use a case to protect the device (which may or may not be more fragile by being thinner), then I couldn't care less.

25. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

If these things get any thinner, they'll snap in half when you bend over to pick up a dime. I think the iPad2 and iPhone 4 are thin enough. If the iPhone get's any thinner, it's going to be hard to hold onto.