All iPads What is Your real purpose of buying a new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Oct 25, 2013.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiosity. I would like to pose a question to everyone that reads these boards.

What is it you are hoping to obtain from purchasing the newest iPad mini retina or Air?

Is there a certain game you are expecting to come out that will play better on these new iPads?

Is there professional software that you are hoping to work better with the new iPad?

Do you plan on using it for school?

Do you just need to have the newest, fastest iPad?

2. TAI182 macrumors regular

TAI182

Mostly for reading. I have a two-hour round trip commute on the train every day for work, and reading on my iPhone isn't as enjoyable.

3. kingoftherolex macrumors member

I'm getting mine primarily for school and to help me study for the MCAT by loading all my books and exams on it and then just writing on them right there. Being able to carry all my different books without all the weight and size they'd take up is really convenient.
    Oh, and I just think that it'll be fun to game on and watch the occasional movie on the go

4. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

5. sjperformance macrumors 6502

Surf the web. Read and post on forums. Let my son play games on it. Use it while I chill and watch TV in bed. Use the NBA app and follow stats and games while I watch my home team the Miami Heat go for the 3 peat. My iPad mostly stays at home. Its only for home use. Everything is better on a bigger screen when at home :) My wife uses it. I use it. My son uses. I do a lot of emailing viewing from it to. Order stuff. Use it for work related purposes to show my customers pictures. I'm a general contractor.

6. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

I am buying because my neighbor has it. He said anything created by Apple is great and good for social status.

7. Macalway, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

Macalway macrumors 68000

It does everything. It's replaced all my computers. I really never saw that coming. As a matter of fact, I was pretty sure these were a gimmick and wouldn't last. It's just that iOS works for me

BTW, what's with all the wacky answers? It seems like a legitimate inquiry, although redundant

There's quite a bit of redundancy in forums, which is fine. You can't police them, and if you try your a dick

Macalway

8. Peloton macrumors newbie

My iPad 1 just isn't cutting it any more. Apps won't / can't update, runs slow, safari and apps keep crashing.

Looking forward to Nov and a new one.

9. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on using it for apps, videos, music, surfing the web, and school work. I love my iPhone, but I want a bigger screen, so I'm going to get an iPad Air. I already have a Nexus 7, but I can't stand it, so I don't use it, and I'm looking to replace it with something better that I'll actually use.

10. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Ditto for me. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my iPad 1st gen but it has become more frustrating with how slow it is and web browser crashes.

I generally use my iPad now for web browsing/checking email, reading books.

My iPad 1 will be relegated for musical performances using a set list app.

11. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

12. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

My reason is that I have almost completely transitioned from a laptop to an iPad for my work computer. (It can be done for certain jobs) While I loved my iPad 4 but coming from the iPad 2 it was heavy. Noticibly heavy.

I'm upgrading for lightness.

13. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

My ipad is one of my most used tools on a daily basis. Work, education and play.

I buy each version of the ipad because I want to. I have purchased the 1,2,3, and 4. Usually I give my wife the one year old model I'm using and sell her ipad. She is fine with this arrangement. So in say 3 1/2 years, I have spent about $2,460 in iPads. I've sold 3 of them for about $1,200 total so my actual cost has been around $1300, give or take. Over 42 months that works out to about $30/month or $15/month each for my wife and I to have iPads.

Holding onto one for one extra year would mean it would lose value and my monthly "usage" cost wouldn't decrease substantiallly to justify holding on to them. I'll gladly part with 50 cents/day and have the most recent device.

Each month, I have an automatic transfer from my main bank account to my "Apple" account. This allows me to purchase new iPhones and iPads every year and a new MacBook every other year. It hurts a lot less when you fund it along the way instead of all at once.

14. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I currently own an iPad 2, so the speed bump will be nice. Plus, I have recently started getting into reading, so the retina would be great for that.

15. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I am buying my first iPad for gaming. I will buy a 64Gb iPad Air.

And the types of games I play are the likes of the following;

-Deus Ex: The Fall
    -Minecraft PE
    -Asphalt 8
    -GTA III
    -GTA Vice City
    -Modern Combat 3,4,5
    -Dead Space
    -XCOM
    -The Walking Dead
    -Real Racing 3 (might not get it on my iPad though as I heared there was an update that made thje fermium model worse)
    -Dead Trigger 2
    -Dead Effect
    And so on...

Games I look froward to in 2014 are Deus Ex the Fall Part 2, Modern Combat 5 and GTA San Andreas :)

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Just upgrading my wife's iPad so I can take over the one she's currently using.

17. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I recently, somewhat reluctantly traded my macbook pro 15 from 2011 for a lenovo y510p, because I play more games than anticipated and the mbp is just not adequate. This lenovo feels less than sturdy and instead of bringing it to work week after week risking its health I thought Id bring an iPad mini for watching series and movies with Netflix and VLC, as well as browsing and some games too perhaps.

18. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Web surfing, watching videos, reading, games, and lots of FaceTime (when you have kids you do lots of FaceTime).
    My iPad3 is just too awkward to hold for long periods of time, especially with one hand, I'm looking forward to the much lighter model.

And since the iPad Air will support AirDrop, that'll make it much easier to record videos on my iPhone and then transfer them to the iPad for editing in Avid.

19. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Smart man;)

20. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

I love my iPad 3 and mainly use it for surfing the Internet, but ever since I bought the kids an iPad mini, I've fallen in love with the smaller form factor & portability & the only reason I've held on to my iPad 3 is the beautiful retina screen. So now that the mini has gotten one too I want the best of both worlds.

21. Aucun Express macrumors regular

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The major "feature" that appeals to me enough to ditch my 3 is weight. The 3 has always been a bit hefty IMHO.

23. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

24. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Our iPad 2 had issues running iOS 7. I sold it yesterday for $300 and will get my wife a Retina Mini. I'm undecided on the Air or the Retina Mini, but hope to be able to run future creative software. For instance, Adobe is working on Lightroom for iPad which is supposed to have some pretty advanced editing capabilities for RAW files and desktop synchronization.

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater