Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djnardu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
What makes it worse is knowing people who are going to Pirate it and how easy it would be for them just to hand me the .iso

hotshotharry

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Well its because yes compared to windows its very reasonable. But for a college student like myself 120 dollars is not something that very easy for me to hand over.

If it was the summer and I was working it would be different

lol i was a college student for 2 years, i have a family, didn't make SFA and i still bought a new MBP, i dont suppose you go out drinking every weekend? or have some other habits? granted students dont have alot of money! but they have enough to buy this software! What its like 4 24's of beer? (in canada) all you will have left after you drink all that beer is like 10.60 worht of empties. sell your old 10.4 disks for 10.60 !!! :)

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Yes they will. I don't know where you live but in California they take student IDs all over the state.

Students pay software fees which are included in the tuition and fees. That is why you get a discount on software in the school bookstores. Now how would you be able to get a discount at a school that you're not enrolled at? You're not paying them the fees.

djnardu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I actually dont party at all and everything that I need ive payed for already. The ammount of money I have left is just the extra that I had after paying my tuition.

Having to use my "emergency" money for things other then gas and...emergencies is hard.

Retired
May 16, 2006
What makes it worse is knowing people who are going to Pirate it and how easy it would be for them just to hand me the .iso
The problem for me is that I think it would be easier to pirate than to buy, without downsides except guilt...

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Honesty. Most Mac Users are honest and the price is so low why would you want to steal it anyway? After all the millions of dollars Apple has spent making it you think you can sleep at night knowing you stole it? :rolleyes:There is no increased educational price. All the University and College bookstores are selling it for the same old $69.
Hi Multimedia.

Even though you might be able to afford the new Harpertown Stoakley-Seaburg Mac Pro (whatever the heck that might be, given that nobody even uses these code names to refer to what you're referring to..except yourself, that is), and you might have a valid education ID student or staff...college students are usually broke as hell, and something like $50 is enough for a LOT of food.

I'm not condoning the stealing of Leopard. It is just that $70 compared to $130 is $60 off, and education price outside of campus stores is only $15 off. I'd love to see you walk into any university campus store near you to buy this without a valid ID from that particular university. You can't. Because you have to prove you are a student there. Not at a university 10 miles away, but there.

Sure, this might cut down on those people cheating Apple through the online education store, but if it's such a big deal, they should have changed their online store policy of auditing instead of jacking up the price so many students can't buy this with their valid edu ID in retail stores or other university bookstores.

edit: Also the bit about California...I'm going to walk into UCLA's apple campus store to buy Leopard at $69 with a USC student ID. Will that fly? Hell no. Where the heck do you think you are that you can walk into any university of your choice with ANOTHER university's ID to buy software from that other university's bookstore? I should totally go and see if I can buy Leopard in person at UCLA instead. Cause they are obviously going to accept my non-UCLA student ID. Uh huh.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Janey You Are Mistaken. I Have Experience Buying Educational Many Different Schools

I'm not condoning the stealing of Leopard. It is just that $70 compared to $130 is $60 off, and education price outside of campus stores is only $15 off. I'd love to see you walk into any university campus store near you to buy this without a valid ID from that particular university. You can't. Because you have to prove you are a student there. Not at a university 10 miles away, but there.
Yes I can and I do. Do you want me to make a video of me doing it for you? You are flat out wrong. I purchased Adobe CS3 Master Collection from another school store in August. I have purchased numerous Apple & Adobe products at numerous different schools - all with my current school ID not from their school with no problem nor objection at all from all over the state of California including mail order my PowerBook G4 from a school in Orange County 4 years ago.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Yes I can and I do. Do you want me to make a video of me doing it for you? You are flat out wrong. I purchased Adobe CS3 from another school store in August. I have purchased numerous Apple products at numerous different schools - all with my current school ID not from their school with no problem nor objection at all.

You also were really convinced you can buy Leopard with the edu discount at an Apple retail store.

Man, I would absolutely love to see that shaky video shot on a consumer cam of you buying software from another university with the wrong student ID. Cause you know, having been at a bunch of them and having taken classes at a bunch of them, I've yet to come across one that accepts any old student ID.

hotshotharry

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
The problem for me is that I think it would be easier to pirate than to buy, without downsides except guilt...

I would likely have to agree, cept for the fact, clicking the buy it button on the apple site is prety easy!!! ;-)

IMO the price they want for it is absolutely not even worth the possibility of the hassle in the future of the said leopard "copy" from somehow being black listed and corrupted during an update or some other means!!! and even if that were never implemented, thats fine cause either way, its not a concern, i know i will always be able to go and turn my comp on and it will work (cept for hardware malfunction etc .. :) )

I know some people dont value that, But I do ! Maybe there is a good reason for now paying for it ... doubt it though! christmas presents? etc lol

lol anyways thats my view... enough said.

djnardu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Thats the what makes it so hard to resist. Its the fact that without Apple having a serial or registration system they won't be able to tell.

Users have already said that you can use a single leopard disk on as many mac as you want without any problem other then it being illegal.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
University of Arkansas in Fayetteville will honor any valid student ID, it does not have to be UoA only. I called today because they have the $69 price on Leopard. My school, Arkansas State University uses JourneyED.com and they are not extending the $69 price.

edit: Also the bit about California...I'm going to walk into UCLA's apple campus store to buy Leopard at $69 with a USC student ID. Will that fly? Hell no. Where the heck do you think you are that you can walk into any university of your choice with ANOTHER university's ID to buy software from that other university's bookstore? I should totally go and see if I can buy Leopard in person at UCLA instead. Cause they are obviously going to accept my non-UCLA student ID. Uh huh.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I would likely have to agree, cept for the fact, clicking the buy it button on the apple site is prety easy!!! ;-)
Yeah, but downloading it is effortless, while ordering it (which I have already done) later involves keeping a disk safe...

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
University of Arkansas in Fayettiville will honor a valid student ID, it does not have to be UoA only. I called today because they have the $69 price on Leopard. My school, Arkansas State University uses JourneyED.com and they are not extending the $69 price.

Okay, maybe I should be more clear. People shouldn't be expecting to be able to use any old student ID to buy at another campus store unless they've verified ahead of time. All the universities around here that I know of are really picky about the current student/staff policy, and therefore you will not be able to purchase it at the discounted edu pricing even if you have a valid ID from another school. I can't imagine that's uncommon, but given that MM was wrong before about Apple retail stores offering Leopard edu discounts (they obviously don't) and that he's not entirely right about the student ID situation, I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
I Have Not Had Your Bad Luck Janey

You also were really convinced you can buy Leopard with the edu discount at an Apple retail store.

Man, I would absolutely love to see that shaky video shot on a consumer cam of you buying software from another university with the wrong student ID. Cause you know, having been at a bunch of them and having taken classes at a bunch of them, I've yet to come across one that accepts any old student ID.
What is your deal? Why are you so belligerent toward me? Yeah I made a mistake about the Apple store because I always go to a school store instead. The reason other schools honor other school IDs for student prices is because it is well known some schools don't sell Apple stuff.

Sorry you have had such bad luck. I have not. I phone around and always am told my ID is fine no matter where I choose to buy stuff from.

My CURRENT ID is from Cabrillo College, Aptos CA. School bookstores I have bought from at student prices are:

University of California Santa Cruz
Foothill College, Los Altos Hills CA
DeAnza College, Cupertino CA
Stanford University, Stanford CA
Cal Polytech, San Louis Obispo CA
St. John's University, Orange CA

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Yes I can and I do. Do you want me to make a video of me doing it for you? You are flat out wrong. I purchased Adobe CS3 Master Collection from another school store in August. I have purchased numerous Apple & Adobe products at numerous different schools - all with my current school ID not from their school with no problem nor objection at all from all over the state of California including mail order my PowerBook G4 from a school in Orange County 4 years ago.

are you a student?

md63

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
I will admit of torrented software before, but never any Apple stuff. I support Apple and think they deserve the money, but my question is what keeps people from torrenting this?

I find this so hypocritical. Probably every person on this site has download some form of music, video, or software that they didn't pay for. But for some reason just because its Apple, somehow Apple deserves the money more than MS or some musician.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
What is your deal? Why are you so belligerent toward me? Yeah I made a mistake about the Apple store because I always go to a school store instead. The reason other schools honor other school IDs for student prices is because it is well known some schools don't sell Apple stuff.

Sorry you have had such bad luck. I have not. I phone around and always am told my ID is fine no matter where I choose to buy stuff from.

I'm not belligerent towards you. I'm just telling the truth about it all...you apparently can afford a Harpertown Stoakley-Seaburg Mac Pro and purchase Leopard at whatever price as well as an ADC membership and tape mediocre video (in reference to the Obama videos).

Not everyone will be able to get the $69 campus edu pricing, and they're stuck with the higher one from the online store, which is one hell of a difference for something so stupid that Apple could have changed on their end (I mean I guess they really mean that bit about auditing purchases..or maybe not, which is why so many people decided to rip them off to the point that pricing for a stupid OS is this preposterous). Or should it be one of those "I should just be grateful I'm getting a discount at all" kind of thing?

Maybe I should be glad I'm getting Leopard through ADC..

Also, I think you should call the UCLA store and ask if you can buy Leopard with your (wherever it's from) student ID. The phone number is 310-825-6952. You should also record it on your camera and show us the video of you talking on the phone. I'd love to know if they're offering Leopard at $69 for anyone who walks in on the 26th with a valid student ID from anywhere.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I find this so hypocritical. Probably every person on this site has download some form of music, video, or software that they didn't pay for. But for some reason just because its Apple, somehow Apple deserves the money more than MS or some musician.

I would have bought Office for about £30 if they did some Radiohead-like scheme, but at the time I needed it but did not think giving up a huge amount of money was worth escaping the guilt. Apple however usually give what I consider fair pricing, so I have no problem paying...

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
I used to work at the UCSD bookstore and we were told that we could accept any student ID from any university for educational software puchases. Even the local junior colleges. Just thought I'd throw that out there. They may have changed that policy but give them a ring if you want.

858-534-READ

Cheers,
Mike

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Why Does Janey Think Belittling Me Is Such A Cool Sport?

are you a student?
Yes of course. I do not see why I have to defend myself for being able to purchase Apple and Adobe software from other schools besides my own. What is everyone's deal with all the attacking and asking for people's occupations.

What has being able to afford the new 8 core Mac Pro got to do with this subject either? Because of that I am a bad person? I don't get it.

By the way, that video is FLASH and I think they are very good for flash video. I don't know why Janey has to trash my videography as well. If you took the time to watch it for more than a minute you would see it is quite good.

hotshotharry

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007

Perhaps your right ... but MS is a POS and is terribly expensive has 0 features except free viruses! As for music, the musicians make what 15 cents a song, MAYBE !!! and sony and the other musician labor companies make the bulk, id be happy to pay the musicians 10 15 hell 50 cents maybe even a buck!!!

I suppose its a matter of opinion, I choose to support apple to develop new and better software. So if you dont want to buy you can send me a personal thankyou for supporting them and you can feel free to leech from us that do.

It is also my opinion that the student price should be somewhat lower than it is however. I have noticed that student pricing on everything is slowly getting less and less. I suspect with the strength of apple in educational facilities they feel they no longer need the advertising or incentive for people to use their product.

In my college class i did not know one person who would not have been able to afford to buy a copy. Perhaps if the reason was restated such as, I'm really fricking cheap but i like to buy my cat gourmet cat food at the price of 65 dollars a month. I was wondering if my poor cat furball will have to eat normal cat food so i can save for a new software program. perhaps then you would find a shoulder to cry on!

md63

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
I would have bought Office for about £30 if they did some Radiohead-like scheme, but at the time I needed it but did not think giving up a huge amount of money was worth escaping the guilt. Apple however usually give what I consider fair pricing, so I have no problem paying...

I don't like your price so I'll just take the product? Its stealing.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
are you a student?

i have noticed in other threads that people keep repeatedly asking multimedia if he is a student. he has said he is a student. do i detect some ageism? because you can all see from his photo that he isn't in his teens or twenties? students can be any age.

you apparently can afford a Harpertown Stoakley-Seaburg Mac Pro and purchase Leopard at whatever price as well as an ADC membership and tape mediocre video (in reference to the Obama videos).

what is the relevance of that? it does seem rather belligerent to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.