What keeps Leopard from being torrented?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djnardu, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

I will admit of torrented software before, but never any Apple stuff. I support Apple and think they deserve the money, but my question is what keeps people from torrenting this?

With Vista it was activation and such, with other programs it is a matter of serial keys.

Does Apple trust its consumer base that much because I can see many College students getting this through torrents.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, it is honesty based...better than piss off tons of customers with activation problems...

3. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

With the increase in Edu prices I wouldn't be surprised if it would be prevalent

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Leopard has been being torrented since the WWDC 2006 developer preview.

5. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

djnardu

Wow that is a great stance from Apple, but I can already here the devil whispering in my air. But ill buy it anyway, nice box and already pre-ordered

6. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

If you download Leopard illegally the Pirate Penguins will come for you.
    [​IMG]
    Or maybe even O.J. Simpson.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Thank you - that brightened my evening! :)

8. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Don't do it! You here me?

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I decided to buy it a while ago but thought for a while I would get it illegally...I just couldn't do that to Apple especially considering that they're so good with their pricing...

10. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

djnardu

So there are people with full versions of it running already?

11. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

:p Thanks for the laugh

12. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Honesty • It's Still $69 Educational At All The College Bookstores

Honesty. Most Mac Users are honest and the price is so low why would you want to steal it anyway? After all the millions of dollars Apple has spent making it you think you can sleep at night knowing you stole it? :rolleyes:
    There is no increased educational price. All the University and College bookstores are selling it for the same old $69.

13. l4t13 macrumors regular

i am a broke college kid and i preordered.

dont steal, it will come back to hurt you one day.

14. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

djnardu

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I could sleep knowing I pirated Office before I switched to the Mac and got NeoOffice...its mainly due to the fact that Apple IMO deserves this, and recently their customer service has been good to me (although it has been dreadful before, and that is why I thought previously I would download Leopard)...

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Absolutely. :) Apple just got almost 2 grand from me 3 weeks ago. I'll buy it eventually.

Umm.. last I checked store.apple.com edu section, it's $116, not $69. And my school's bookstore doesn't sell any Apple software. They only sell Microsoft **** and other software for all of the crappy dells they have through their dell program.

17. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

You Needn't Buy It At Only Your School's Store. Any Store Will Honor Your ID.

You can buy it at another school nearby with your student ID. You don't have to buy it at your own school store. Any school store will do and honor your ID. Just phone around.

18. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Alas my uni bookstore doesn't sell it.
    Guess I'll have to shell out $116 :(

19. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

I have said it before, the price that apple wants for their software is so incredibly resonable - why would you bother pirating it!!! now i understand why if it was ms, i mean i wouldn't pay for that junk either ...... but it (apple) works as advertised, they have done a great job!!! It really is an incredible value !!! but believe me, before i switched i had a slightly different opinion towards MS !!!

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

umm... no they won't.

21. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

djnardu

Well its because yes compared to windows its very reasonable. But for a college student like myself 120 dollars is not something that very easy for me to hand over.

If it was the summer and I was working it would be different

22. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

Not to mention, by using apple software, the amount of time you save not having to tweak and fix and reload and troubleshoot and kick it and get tired and buy new keyboards from pounding on them, more than justifies buying the software amongst a host of other goodies !!! :) IMHO :) hey and buy the gf something nice too, and you will be even happier !!! :)

23. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Totally agree! Gladly spend $100ish (Amazon) for my copy of Leopard. On top of that I paid $79 for my copy of iWork 08 which I think is an outstanding product.

I have NO problem giving Apple the money for what I am getting. Now if they started charging $350 or iWork and $300 for Leopard.......well I'm sure I would think about my wallet a bit more.

24. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its not THAT simple...I have to install 10.4 on my external so I can use the Leopard uptodate disk for a fresh install...

25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

There are and they even come here looking for help:confused:

The people who have ADC memberships pay good money to be able to work with beta versions of the Mac OS to get there applications running. We know the rules and most of the follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.