what laptop did you leave behind when you got your macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yien, Jul 16, 2008.

1. yien macrumors newbie

Just out curiosity (and boredom) I was wondering what types of windows laptops did you leave behind before getting your macbook? I am going to be getting a macbook soon for med school so until then I am still using my sony vaio n505ve as my laptop. I had a dell inspiron 1100 but i left it on a carpet one day and it died. My vaio is smaller and lighter than a mba but it has a celeron 300 mhz processor 64 megs of ram (The machine grinds to halt loading powerpoint files bigger than 64 megs) so as you can see this macbook will be quite an upgrade to what I am used to.

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

3. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

Sony Vaio Fz, quite competitive towards mac i would say. only problem is they use microsoft lol.

4. Eric. macrumors regular

Had a Dell Inspiron 1100 for around four years, which I just sold a couple of months ago to a friend to make room for a Montevina MBP. So I've been laptopless for a little while. I hardly ever used the Dell anyway.

5. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

I will be leaving behind a Gateway notebook for my new MacBook this fall. Not sure about what it's name is, or really what sort of specs it has. I bought it about five years ago and it has died over 5 times since then causing me to lose all of my files. (not once every year, that would have been lucky; more like twice every 6 months for the past two years.)

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I left behind my 14" iBook G4. I miss that screen like crazy, but I do love my new BlackBook. ;)

7. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I had a '05 17" Sony Notebook that I modified to look and act like a Mac thanks to my good friends at Aqua-Soft.org. It was near perfect and I learned a lot about OS X in the process. Unfortunately, it was still xp and with all the modification it ground to a halt letting me enjoy lots of fan noise and slower startups than a Packard Bell (remember those?).

Eventually I had to get ahold of the real thing so my MacBook arrived leaving my Sony as a spare for perhaps the occasion that I'm without my MB. I use it for movies and television mostly. -GDF

8. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Left an Asus w7J for a thinkpad x61s for class. Got a MBP to accompany it at home. Really liking this set up.

9. gadgetlover33 macrumors newbie

i will be leaving behind an ibm (not lenovo) thinkpad t21. had it since 2001 when i was still in high school. i only had to reformat the hard-drive once because of spyware due to file sharing sites at college but otherwise very few software issues and only in the last few weeks has the moniter finally died on me. great, durable computer but when i get a macbook in the next few weeks i will greatly appreciate the solid speed, utilities, and capacity upgrades. i might decide to pay to get the screen fixed to use the thinkpad as a backup or i guess just use bootcamp.

10. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I also left a 14" iBook G4...

11. muldul macrumors 6502

a dell inspiron 6000 yesterday, has been great so far (except trying to install boot camp)

12. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

It was my first laptop ever...but I seem to have left behind my mac mini.

I just never get on it anymore. It's still a great little machine, its just...my mac mini doesn't have wifi. :(

13. Baron58 macrumors 6502

PowerBook G4 12", 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB HD, SuperDrive. Through my job at the time, I had one of each generation of the 12" PB (kept reassigning them and keeping the new one for myself with every purchase :D ), and when I left I got to keep my last one as part of my severance. That one was the last, and best, version of the 12". I love the speed and much better display of my black MacBook now, but the 12" PB was special in many ways. I sold it for enough to get my new camera.

14. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I left behind an IBM Thinkpad i1200, although TBH it wasn't a purely Windows machine (it also had Suse 9.1 Pro). I still have the Thinkpad (and use it on occasion) but its no longer the laptop that I use to surf and work whilst on the couch (like I am doing now on my BlackBook):D

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, I loved the screen on that thing. It was the perfect size for me. But what I don't miss about it was how heavy it was! I can't believe I carried it around every day for four years.

16. showtime macrumors 6502

Also had a Asus w7j. The build quality was very good and it had a very nice keyboard. The only problem with it was the short battery life and windows.:p

17. doteyes9 macrumors member

I left my very slow Dell Inspiron 6000. I complained about it so much I got a MacBook :) I should've just re-installed windows but 1. I wanted a Mac 2. It didn't come with restore CD's. HOORAY FOR COMPLAINING!!!!!

18. fazox macrumors member

Before I bought my BlackBook I had a Dell 1501 1.7Ghz with a 60GB hd
    and Vista. I will never go back to a windows machine!

19. mosx macrumors 65816

I left behind an HP notebook.

Then I had problems with my Mac. Was without it for almost a month. Got another HP. Apple replaced that Mac.

Now I'm leaving my MacBook behind for that HP! hah.

Sorry, but I can't live without dedicated graphics and I'm sick of OS X's random crashes.

The only reason I haven't sold my MacBook yet is because I know this will be the only Mac I ever own.

I love my iPhone and iPods. But I can't stand the hardware prices and the lack of hardware I got for such an outrageous price.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Never left my computer; I just happen to have more than one computer to use now.

21. Xtreambar macrumors regular

Toshiba Satellite 5105-S501 . What an ugly, heavy POS that was. It was on sale at an end of year clear out at Comp USA in 2003. That was my first computer that was 100% my own.

22. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

A Compaq B2000. It currently sits in a corner, screen ripped off, with a fried keyboard (my fault), powered up on an external keyboard and monitor. It's not doing well as a laptop, but keeps on chugging and the CD/DVD drive reads seemingly any brand of media without fail...A LOT more than I can say for my MacBook superdrive.

It was the MacBook Air of 2004...umm...er...something like that.

[​IMG]

23. NintendoChick macrumors regular

I will be ditching my Dell Inspiron B130. I'm just waiting for the update to pick up a MacBook!

24. skoone macrumors newbie

skoone

A black macbook purchase from two days ago is currently taking precedence over my former Lenovo X61s.. It is however, not being ditched as I love my X61, and yes, I enjoy using XP.. But I also LOVE my Mac portability, too. ;)

25. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

A PowerBook 12". Still miss that form factor. A4 size.