What "Mac OS X 10.5.2" hasn't fixed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kolax, Feb 12, 2008.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I'll start the ball rolling.

- Whenever my Mac is connected to my TV and I unplug the DVI connector while I have the brightness down on my Mac, I cannot put the brightness back up. The laptop ignores the command.

- AirDisk's have improved a LOT, but there is still some slight problems when using two external hard drives and a printer.

That's all so far. Not that I'm dissing this update, it has fixed so many of the issues I was having. But there is still room for later improvement.

2. rwen macrumors newbie

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

there's an annoying issue with external monitors and clamshell mode for portable users now

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

5. Zw42a macrumors member

Not a problem here when unplugging my Cinema Display from my MacBook Pro. Did it twice already since the update.

The one thing that bugs me is that my scanner still doesn't work with ImageCapture..

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Exposé & Dashboard keyboard and mouse shortcuts + the Dictionary keyboard shortcut are cleared after using Time Machine. is anyone else still experiencing this? i was gonna write a new thread about this but put it here. i cant believe this STILL has not been fixed.

Disk Utility is STILL slow at repairing permissions. i read over at Apple Discussions that this has something to do with Disk Utility not being fully compatible with Leopard's Spotlight to read the bom packages.

Boot Camp partition shows on desktop even though hard disks are hidden in Finder's preferences.

7. Crispy Duck macrumors regular

Well before the update I couldn't shut down my (24" Intel white) iMac.

The screen would go black and the fans spin down... but some unknown process was stopping the computer from shutting down, the only way I can shut down is to hold down the power button – this is not fixed and it is driving me mad.

NEW PROBLEM I now have is it now takes over 4 MINUTES TO START UP the grey apple screen lasts for about 1 minute – followed by a blank blue screen for a further 3 minutes, before i eventually get to the login screen – coupled with the 'not able to shutdown properly' problem - my iMac is now driving me insane. This sucks big time. :eek:(

8. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I always have to select "allow incoming connections" when I launch iTunes, iChat, etc. after every reboot despite all programs being in my allowed list in the firewall.

9. cwheatley macrumors member

i don't think this counts as what it HASN'T fixed but...

i had ZERO wireless problems prior to 10.5.2, but now my wireless cuts out a couple times every hour... and i know there's nothing wrong with my router, because i use three other computers on it (two xp, one panther), and they have no connection issues. all it takes to reconnect is just the reselection of my preferred network, and although it isn't too much of a hassle, it is annoying...

can someone else confirm this problem?

(using 802.11g, and the 2wire 2700HG-X modem+router)

10. OhFrenchman macrumors newbie

Do you have iDisk sync enabled or any other WebDAV drive connected? I wasn't able to shut down my mac with the sync enabled, after disabling the option shutdown no longer posed a problem. I haven't been able to test this so far with 10.5.2 but I hope that the issue is resolved.

11. azhelkov macrumors member

First letter missing, so called "ELP" bug, still here. It's a nasty one. May be not wide spread, but definitely for a long time in portables.

12. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

Airtunes still doesnt work with Front Row. The only work around is to revert to version 1.0 which is suboptimal!

13. superman666 macrumors regular

HUUGE problem for me that it hasn't fixed...

When my MBP pro is 'sleeping' (when the airport was on prior to me shutting the lid) when it wakes up 70% of the time it wakes up and the mouse is all shaky, and programs seem shaky as well. I literally can't use the computer when the mouse gets that shaky.. so i have to restart it every time

14. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

I'm still waiting for the wireless Time Machine connectivity via Airport. I already got an external drive for my Time Machine backups, so I don't need Time Capsule. Waiting for this issue to get fixed so I can add the Airport router.

This issue for me has been ongoing since 10.5.1 when the firewall was first updated.

The Disk Utility version remains at 11.0 and still dates back to the Leopard 10.5.0 installation. Repairing disk permissions takes a long time and I get the same ACL messages no matter what program I use (whether Disk Utility, Xupport, or IceClean).

15. graphicwave macrumors newbie

A mighty mouse shortcut for CMD+back arrow/front arrow would be awesome. My logitech had that.

When are they going to take off that damn picture automatic re-sizing in Safari??? And is it me, or wouldn't it be awesome to have the old Internet Explorer download manager?? That thing was the best ever!

And PLEASE have the option to remove the sidebar (not sidebar AND toolbar like clicking in the upper right).

One click opens folders in the dock.

Why did they remove individual window customization?? Can this be reset to how it was? I like picture folders to display in thumbnail, and folders with tons of folders to be in list view. Is that so hard to go back to? Am I missing where this option is?

My bitching is complete. :apple:

16. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

As others have said, repairing permissions is ridiculously slow.

Also, I can't daisy chain my external firewire drives anymore. I think it is a glitch in the firewire driver. When I plug one of my drives into the other one then it disconnects the first drive. I have a Maxtor 1-Touch (250Gb) and a LaCie d2 Triple interface (500Gb). I used to plug the Lacie in to my iMac via FW800 and then the Maxtor into the Lacie via FW400. Now, I have to use USB2 for the Maxtor as the drives can't be plugged into any firewire port at the same time or they disconnect. Is this a secret plan to get us all to ditch our firewire drives and buy Time Capsules?

Finally, its not really a Leopard issue but iTunes 7.6 gets the beach ball randomly alot due to searching for rentals in my video library. I fixed it temporarily by removing the mpeg files from my library; but still, what a pain. I am really starting to think that we need a separate app for organizing video as iTunes is starting to seem really bloated. Perhaps they could make iMovie more of a video browser/editor like iPhoto is for photos.

Other than that, I can't think of any more problems that I've been having...

17. giovanni.apd macrumors member

same thing happens on my system. However, it hides the Boot Camp partition if I uncheck "CDs DVDs and iPods".

18. slefkoff macrumors newbie

Airtunes and brightness

Airtunes still doesn't work with Front Row (mentioned above, thought I'd agree)

Also, when I'm hooked into my external monitor on a dual screen set up, my main lcd display on my mbp forgets its calibration setting after some time on the screen saver (I have to increase the brightness all over again and go into "displays" preference pane to get the calibration back)

19. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Did they ever fix the inconsistent behavior of the dock, if i put the dock on the sides the windows can pass through them but not on the bottom, thats fine on the bottom, but if i move to side sometimes opening a new app puts it behind the dock inconveniencing me to shift it every time so i just keep it on the bottom now, this is a tiger issue bust just asking if its still the same in leopard.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You're missing it. ⌘J or View > Show View Options > Always Open in [insert Icon View, List View, Column View or Cover Flow]. It should remember whatever setting you choose for a specific folder after checking that box.

21. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

the dock still can't be switched from 3d to 2d when it is on the bottom without a terminal command or a 3rd party app

22. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Airport still can't connect to some networks at all.

Some networks connect without a problem, but others when you select them it just cant connect, and the networks it can't connect to are connected to perfectly using an OS 10.3 mac and a vista machine, so the problem is definitely in leopard.

Leopard airport is still broken. 10.5.2 fixed the network dropping problem, but it still hasn't fixed the inability to connect at all to some networks.

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

• No Time Machine over disks attached to an AirPort Extreme. Wonder if an AirPort firmware update will be coming.

• Bug opening aliases of folders after a fresh boot. Try this - put an alias of a folder of items, an alias of your apps folder is good, on to your desktop and reboot. Once logged in, double click that folder alias to open it. Watch what happens - does like a double-open and doesn't open in the right place. Close it and reopen... it'll open correctly. Only happens on the first folder alias open after a reboot.

• Slower OpenGL benchmarks on the X3100 compared to last generation GMA 950.

24. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

really no one is experiencing this? this is the only thing that has annoyed me and made Leopard a pain to use since 10.5.0.

25. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats not a feature its a hack. the dock executes that command when it moves to the side.