What made decide for or against the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

What made me decide against it was the fact that it's so expensive while not being user upgradable. I was also scared of something happening to it then having to pay a lot of money to get it repaired. If I had the money to burn, it wouldn't be an issue seeing as I'd upgrade it and get the Apple Protection Plan but holy **** that would be a lot of money.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I chose the Retina MacBook Pro because:
    1) It's got USB 3.0;
    2) It's a design change from my 2011 model;
    3) Friend bought one.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Initially I was against it and wanted the cmbp but ended up getting one after playing with it.

1) screen
    2) screen
    3) size/weight

4. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

This topic has been debated over and over again in this forum.

But what scared me away from Retina is...it is a Rev A product. Maybe 3 to 5 years from now when the technology matured enough. And most of the PC's are using some sort of retina. If Retina is not trademark by Apple. Then it is time to upgrade. Just don't want to be an early adopter.

5. utl768 macrumors 6502

I went with a regular 15 inch because my eye site is so bad I gotta hold the thing up to my nose to notice that big of a difference

6. RAWphenom macrumors member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bout sums it up. That and if I ever used a non-retina product, I'd probably hate it.

7. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

But in 3 to 5 years, there would be another "Latest and Greatest Rev A" product. :p

8. bill-p macrumors 65816

Reasons for rMBP:

1) Screen resolution
    2) Consequently, screen real estate as a result of resolution
    3) Text clarity
    4) Thinner
    5) Lighter
    6) Dual Thunderbolt, HDMI
    7) New keyboard layout takes care of the "useless" eject button
    8) Fastest sleep/wake time of any Mac.

Reasons against rMBP:

1) Price
    2) No Optical Disk Drive
    3) No LAN/Ethernet
    4) No Firewire
    5) No dedicated audio line-in port
    6) New MagSafe not compatible with older generation
    7) Storage capacity
    8) Aside from Apple apps, a lot of professional applications (Adobe suite, Microsoft Office, others...) do not support the uber resolution yet
    9) Current hardware not fast enough to handle uber resolution (at least for gaming)
    10) Mac OS X Mountain Lion still does not fix some performance issues with scrolling and UI animations
    11) Display quality control is questionable (especially for LG screens)
    12) If you have somehow gotten past all of the above 11 reasons, then reason 12 is the biggest reason to not get a Retina MBP: it will make every other computer display look like complete and utter ****. In some cases, it will even cause you eyestrain as you try to look for the same level of details on other displays. I have developed this problem, and now I can't look at anything with lower resolution for too long.

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Funny how that works isn't it? Looking at my brothers 2012 13" is like Looking at something made in the 80s.

10. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Thinner profile, quad-core, more ram, and the usage of usb3 and thunderbolt are the major reasons why I updated from my 06. Screen resolution was just the cherry on top.

11. maclab macrumors member

maclab

I dont understand these for and against threads etc....there really is no comparing, its its own class and you either want it or you don't.

I could never go back to non retina now, even with the lag, but its still less laggy than my 2011 MBA

12. defektion macrumors regular

Why I went with the retina?

1) The ability to output more than 2 external displays natively without the use of USB to DVI/HDMI Adapters
    2) SSD/Flash Drive
    3) Beautiful screen (Although I have my rMBPr in clamshell mode 80% of the time)
    4) Overall thin design

The small annoying bits,
    1) Things are still buggy.
    2) Not all apps are optimized
    3) Image Retention? (I haven't experienced it and I've had my rMBP for over a month.

13. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

There are too many QA issues in this initial revision of the product and the lag issue, despite what some owners in denial desperately want to believe, cannot be completely resolved with software updates.

That is why I have elected to wait for the second revision next summer.

14. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

For

it was apogee duet's fault *blush* just kidding!

so i sold apogee duet for apogee duet II (USB) +
    went for the 2.7GHz/16GB/768SSD rMBP

hey - can someone on here with a late 2011 (maxed out) 17 inch MBP t o do a side by side compare and test with your rMBP please and thanks!?

15. bill-p macrumors 65816

It's actually worse for me. I can't even look at my iMac anymore. I felt like the screen was flickering more than necessary even though I was fine staring at it for hours just the other day.

I don't think it's the current owners in denial, but rather, that some people stubbornly hold to the belief that current rMBP hardware is not fast enough in order to justify waiting for the second revision.

The fact is that Mountain Lion DID fix a huge part of the performance issues. Especially with regards to Safari. Some animations still occasionally stutter, but it's not a huge difference compared to the MacBook Pro 13" or the MacBook Air line.

You are totally entitled to believe otherwise, of course, but that doesn't mean owners of the rMBP are stupid enough to not realize the performance difference between their new rMBP and their old uMBP.

I had an Early 2011 MBP 15", which was definitely smoother than the rMBP on Lion, but after ML, the gap closed by a huge margin. I'm only missing smooth scrolling in Xcode now.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Who buys the top tier Retina MacBook Pro configuration and gives a crap how it compares to an older generation Mac? Sounds like you're buying it all for the wrong reasons.

17. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Same here, I like being able to upgrade my computers and I don't want to have to pay a fortune if I want to replace any parts.

18. GoSooners macrumors member

Dual TB and HDMI ports allow for multiple non-Apple displays.

Other previous notebooks will only do dual Thunderbolt displays, or USB-driven graphics.

19. gbit macrumors member

sir you have my respect for your honesty

20. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Bit harsh!

21. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

And why not? Lets use Android as an example here. Since it's inception, Android has been fairly laggy when scrolling pages up and down in the browser and in other apps as well as from side to side on the desktop. With the update to Jelly Bean, all of the lag, and I mean all, is completely gone. It's now JUST as smooth as iOS from a usability standpoint, even with Widgets and other resource hogging items populating the screen (which iOS doesn't allow because of the resource constraints). So, it IS possible for a software revision to completely update a OS. Android completely shocked their fans by doing that with Jelly Bean and it was a monumental improvement because it was a priority to the developers.

Once Apple makes it a priority, you can bet it will be eradicated on the rMBP, especially if they come out with a slightly lower powered 13" version. The software will catch up and it will be gone...it's an easy money bet.

And to answer the OP's question...I toyed with the idea of getting a 13" Air and saving some money, but using them side by side for a week or so by visiting Best Buy and the Apple store pretty much convinced me that if I ended up buying the 13" I'd always have rMBP lust...therefor I just figured I might as well just get it. It's an expensive way to buy a laptop, but it gets rid of a headache later on like I had when I bought my 11" Air and realized it was too small for my deteriorating eyesight. :)

22. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I don't need a powerful portable workstation. Price is a definite drawback. Retina is nice, but not $2000 nice, no way I can justify it unless it is my primary computer. I already have an iMac and it's plenty powerful, most of the time that power sits idle. I value portability much more on a laptop form factor, and the Air is plenty powerful for power on the go. Base 11"/13" Air 2011 model is at least half the price of the rMBP.

If and when retina comes to the 11" Air I may consider it, along with a faster GPU and better battery life...if the price is right. Right being somewhere around $1400-$1500.

23. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

it is just a curiosity chill.. i love this stuff, give a girl a break!

i buy top of the line all the time
    to entertain myself and to see how well they fair with my work loads
    as a recording artist who releases 13+ albums/collaboration EPs every 2 years
    that is a lot of mastering
    i love technology and love to push it to the max

24. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

1) cMBP costs more with the same spec, and thats without the awesome new chassis, cooling system, and screen.
    2) Its 2012, no one using this machine the way its intended to be used will be using such storage mediums.
    3) Fair enough.
    4) It's been replaced by a far better technology, which is also nowhere near as expensive as some people are making out. Just because clueless companies like WD overcharge for their drives doesnt mean there arent cheaper alternatives.
    5) Fair enough.
    6) Why would you need it to be?
    7) User dependant.
    8) Did you expect them to? I mean, really? Pathetic point.
    9) Mac's are built for gaming now?! ZOMG! EPIC!
    10) Boo hoo, no 60fps scrolling on Facebook. Cry me a river.
    11) A common problem with most of Apple's line of products, from screen adhesive issues with the ipod touch, to yellow imac screens, to image retention, etc. They have some of the worst quality control imaginable for such a huge company. This is not a negative against the rMBP, but Apple as a whole.
    12) Again, not a negative, and completely down to the user's perception. I prefer to look at it as every other computer makes my rMBP look even better :D

25. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I bought it because it's fast as chit, has an awesome screen and it's very portable for a 15".