Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I got a cMBP because:

1)Functionality, I'm going to college and compromises in not having a disk drive, and lack of ports in the rMBP wasn't doing it for me.
2)The cMBP is already thin as is. As someone who is coming from windows laptops, i really don't need a thinner laptop, especially for the price and compromises of the rMBP.
3)Price, and this also coincides with another reason: upgradeability. NOTHING in the rMBP can be upgraded. I simply don't have the money to pay upfront for a fully loaded rMBP. Atleast with the cMBP I can get a lower end model then and save for more ram or a better hdd or ssd later on.

Overall I'm very pleased with my cMBP. I guess if I had already had a MBP for many years, the cMBP wouldn't be a big deal as is, but for someone coming from cheap dell laptops that are poorly made and 1.5 inches thick, the cMBP is a big jump and I'm loving it.

Last edited:

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Retina MBP advantages for me:

1) Screen [ duh ] :p and Thank GOD I got a Samsung!
2) Weight
3) Speakers
4) Keyboard
5) HDMI
6) USB 3 one on each side, instead of both being on the same!
7) Runs cooler / cools down quicker !

I think that's about it...

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
I got a rmbp but for some reason i want the 13 " mba???? No idea why, not as powerful but I'm drawn to it.......i have 14 days to decide, tick tock, tick tock.

I have a LG screen by the way and i cant see anything wrong with it.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
What made me decide against it was the fact that it's so expensive while not being user upgradable. I was also scared of something happening to it then having to pay a lot of money to get it repaired. If I had the money to burn, it wouldn't be an issue seeing as I'd upgrade it and get the Apple Protection Plan but holy **** that would be a lot of money.

Try getting a normal MBP 15" with SSD and full specs, cost as much and more than the rMBP.
For what the rMbP offers i dont see it as that expensive to be honest... And it got 16 GB ram, and better graphics and everything than non retina for a cheaper price.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I went cMBP. Three reasons: Value, expandability, and the teething problems inherent in any first generation model.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
The rMBP sounds exciting, but I'm waiting to see what the 13" Retina model looks like before making my decision.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For me it was the following

• Resolution and screen real estate
  • Text clarity
  • Thinner
  • Cost was similarly configured cMBP without the gorgeous screen
  • USB 3
  • It had everything I needed

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Previous: 15" cMBP anti-glare high res model (early 2012 model)
Current: 2.6Ghz 512GB Retina Model

I am abroad for a few months so and I had to leave everything behind (my speakers, TBD etc.)

Reasons +:

- portability (more portable than my previous)
- sound of speakers (no external speakers here)
- screen (different resolutions)
- Speed (but had an 256GB SSD in my cMBP as well)

My dislike:

- no ethernet port (The wifi here, abroad, isn't the greatest so now I miss being able to plug in a cable). I can't just buy an adapter here.

Overall very nice! Love it. Zero issues on the first try and also the samsung diplay.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My dislike:

- no ethernet port (The wifi here, abroad, isn't the greatest so now I miss being able to plug in a cable). I can't just buy an adapter here.
I didn't think that was going to be a major issue for me, but I found to and from my NAS was slower then I wanted on wifi. I opted for the thunderbolt ethernet adapter. Not ideal but it gave me the speeds I wanted

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I decided on the MacBook Pro 13" because:

1. The Retina model I received had significant IR
  2. The 15" Screen felt massive
  3. I'd save £500+
  4. The 13" seemed perfect and allowed upgradeability
  5. I'm taking on the task of converting all my media, so ODD was required
  6. Kensington lock may be required depending on customer site
  7. With the cost savings, I'll probably invest in a Mac Mini very soon

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
I chose the Retina because it's incredible. The screen is the one of the greatest ever advancements in Computing tech EVER. I can't bare working on my Mac Pro now looking at the antiquated res of my very expensive monitors.

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
Well, i have decided to return mine.

Not because its bad, infact it looks beautiful, is a lovely weight and size and more powerful than i would ever need!

Its just simply the 13" air would be more than enough for me and i save £290 on the spec i chose. It was more a case of "wanting the best thing" than "getting what i need".

Now i can afford the iphone 5 or 6 or "new iphone" ;)

If you think you want it, and can afford it you will love it! BUT if you have to ask then don't get it!

A7ibaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
I choose not to get RMBP because repair value is equal to 0.After a year of usage and after warranty expires i really doubt that anyone will buy used Retina macbook. And if anyone choose to buy it he will think twice. Only ones with extended apple care will be sure of resale value and that already increased expenses by 300$.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
It was kind of exactly what I wanted. I've been using a high end MBP as my primary machine for quite a while, and when the rMBP was announced, it was basically perfect for my needs.

It was thinner, lighter, more powerful, allowed me to connect both of my external (non-apple) monitors, and got rid of the legacy stuff that I hadn't been using. It was basically a modern, updated version of the machine that was already close to ideal for my specific needs.

I can do my coursework, my freelance video/VFX work, and flip over to bootcamp for some seriously capable gaming fun when I'm over at a friend's house.

All of that and it's arguably the best computer (certainly the best laptop) screen ever produced, and a joy to use.

I do miss the 17" sometimes, but overall I'm in love with this machine.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I got the rMBP because:

a) it is very light and yet very fast, providing ultimate mobility without sacrificing performance
b) excellent battery
c) one of the cheapest machines in its class
d) the display is probably the best out there for working with text (I do lots of writing/coding)
e) despite its size and weight, a completely viable desktop replacement

robothero

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
I decided against it because I liked having the ability to upgrade. I plan on using my MBP for a long time, and being shoehorned into the power that I could afford at the point of purchase was a big turnoff for me (not to mention the upsell of those components).

Dralt

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
After several weeks of pondering, I still cannot decide.

Money is not a factor in this decision.

It must mean one of 2 things:

- I am indecisive.
- This new product has poor placement in the product line.

I don't know.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I just can't get myself to move away from the 13". I love the size, the portability, everything. So i'm holding out until they bring the Retina Display to the 13".

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
I just can't get myself to move away from the 13". I love the size, the portability, everything. So i'm holding out until they bring the Retina Display to the 13".

This time next year i suspect they will all be retina in the apple line up, the 15" in my opinion is testing the water at the moment. It is lovely though!

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
against rMBP

Because I almost always buy used or refurbished and don't need the latest and greatest. The lightly used 2011 15" hi-res MBP that I recently put a SSD in is excellent and well suited to my academic and amateur photographic needs. For traveling and back-up I bring a used 13" 2010 MBA that I bought.

Perhaps I'll be more interested when a) my MBP is no more and b) gen-2 versions appear in the refurb store ;)

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Ibought the retina because it's the best. I want the best in computers as I use them so much.

I mean, i'm on them all day. Make no mistake, the retina is the best computer you can buy.

And ya know what? You pay for it. :eek:

Last edited:

Dralt

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
It is placed to replace, you've just got time to buy an old one.

That's the problem. To me, it makes no sense to buy anything that does not have a SSD, 8 GB of RAM, a HDMI port and at least 1 Thunderbolt port.

All of that points to the Retina model, but then you are faced with revision-A glitches, a total lack of upgrade-ability, apps that are not quite ready and panels with various degrees of QA.

And so...I am stuck between a rock and a hard place of indecisiveness.

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
I haven't gotten a rMBP. Yet. I use a 2012 13 inch MBA on a regular basis. I think the screen on that is really sharp (LG) and the system overall is as powerful as I'd ever imagine having (i7 2.0, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD). I don't know how much of an improvement a 13 inch rMBP would really be over this MBA.

I don't care about upgrading in the future. I've had PCs since the first IBM PC in the stone age, and I have upgraded them maybe twice. I get a config that will last me for as long as I can see into the future and stick with that. And I don't buy into this line of thought which says that I have to have the ability to add more RAM in the future because apps are on a linear growth curve and will eat up all the RAM you have now in just another year or so. Any app that does that is a resource pig and I won't buy it.

I don't care about resell value. I've never sold a PC, and have no intention to. I typically use them until they keel over and go belly up. But PCs in recent years have become more reliable, so it's more that I get tired of the OS (STUPID VISTA!) and want to move to a more forward-thinking platform. Hence, the MBA and now ML.

But I can't keep on borrowing the MBA (from my significant other) all the time, and I can't take this Vista disaster much longer. So, I will have to make a choice soon, and that will be between the new 13 inch rMBP, another 13 inch MBA, or a 15 inch rMBP. The one thing I've found with the MBA that I haven't been happy with is the smallness of the text on the screen. My eyes are evidently too used to the 15 inch screens I've had on my recent systems, and I don't know if I'd be happy with a 13 incher full time, even a Retina. In fact, especially if it's a Retina, because I'd want to play with the resolution to optimize screen real estate, which would make some things smaller and even harder to see. That might not be so bad on a 15 inch screen.

But the main thing that kept me from buying a rMBA on day one was the price. Factor in tax and Apple Care, and that gets pretty hard to justify. I don't know if a Rev B of the rMBP would be any less expensive, so waiting until next year doesn't make sense if price is the key factor here.

I just wish the rMBP didn't cost more than my first car did. Oh, sorry... my first 3 cars. COMBINED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.