Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Zulu (1964)
Outnumbered British soldiers do battle with Zulu warriors at Rorke's Drift.

Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 6.45.35 PM.png

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I think Peyton Reed really did a fantastic job on such short notice, I'm hoping he gets to do the sequel.

Ant-Man was really enjoyable! I love Wright's visual style, but I found the way this was shot and the effects, including the 3D to be quite engrossing. Wright's take might have been over the top.

I look forward to seeing more of Ant-Man and Wasp!

B

Reactions: Huntn

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Ant-Man was really enjoyable! I love Wright's visual style, but I found the way this was shot and the effects, including the 3D to be quite engrossing. Wright's take might have been over the top.

I look forward to seeing more of Ant-Man and Wasp!

B

We'll see Scott in Civil War, but sadly, Evangeline Lily was unable to films scenes due to her pregnancy.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I watched Exodus yesterday, also with my family. I have to admit that my opinion was the most reserved one. I agree with you, it is no substitute in any way for The Ten Commandments. It is very very far from it.
Exodus: Gods and Kings was an adequate adaptation of the Bible story.

Moses - - the original terrorist! ;)

The main problem is the actors are so dull. I'll stick with Yul Brenner and Charlton Heston.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Exodus: Gods and Kings was an adequate adaptation of the Bible story.

Moses - - the original terrorist! ;)

The main problem is the actors are so dull. I'll stick with Yul Brenner and Charlton Heston.

Absolutely!
The 1956 version is a classic. I always used to say, never try to reproduce a classic. Can you imagine a recreation of Casablanca, Ben Hur or Doctor Zhivago for that matter?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Absolutely!
The 1956 version is a classic. I always used to say, never try to reproduce a classic. Can you imagine a recreation of Casablanca, Ben Hur or Doctor Zhivago for that matter?

Sadly, a Ben Hur remake has been greenlit. I am with everyone who voted for the 1956 Ten Commandments. I capitulated seeing Exodus in the theatre because my coworker did not want to see Inherent Vice. He's somewhat religious I am not. He apologized to me for the bad choice of movie, just as I apologized to another coworker for dragging him to see Ex Machina. Movie Karma :eek:

>>

and in the midst of my gushing (fake blood) about Vengeance I forgot a very important plot point. Chiang's character gets involved in a Yojimbo like war between two gangs. The gang who are tied to the folks who killed his brother and the opposers who are happy to help the young avenger wipe out their enemies. Or are they...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Five Elements Ninjas like the Flying Guillotine series is very, very popular among Martial arts fans and like just like the Flying Guillotine series, I am not into Five Elements Ninjas. It's the ninjas really. They're the one classic martial artist I've outgrown. The beginning of the film is great fun but then it is not sure if it's silly or serious. Good cast, but not my thing. I am glad I saw it... but ultimately the ninjas killed it for me. Oh well. Plenty more Shaws to go.

I started watching Bastard Swordsman last night and was not keen on that either (the mean spiritedness of it rather than the all out what the? storyline), but I'll watch the whole thing eventually.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Inglourious Basterds
So freaking awesome. I'm still thinking about it 4 days later. First time watching it.

Dredd (2012)
After hearing from a few sources that this is a good film, worthy of a bigger audience than it had, i decided to give it a shot.
I was done after 35 minutes. Awful.

Grade

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Rewatched Hachiko with Richard Gere, man that ending makes me cry like a baby. :) Great movie.

Reactions: bobob

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
The New One Armed Swordsman (1971) Much, much better than the original as David Chiang is very believable in the title role (and this film foreshadows the directors' later film Crippled Avengers in some ways.) Very satisfying take on honor and revenge wu xia style.

Black Magic (1975) This was a Shaw Brothers film that felt a lot more like a exploitative 70s horror film. Super skanky, using the big martial artists of day. There's no kung fu, but gore (a terrific dissolve effect used in the opening 'death' spell was fun) nudity and all sorts of all awful things dealing with the title. If I could change one thing it would be the casting. I would have liked Ti Lung as the black magician rather than tried and true Shaw villain Ku Feng. An effective, nasty little movie. This is definitely a case of Be careful what you wish for... if you like voodoo and spell casters and curses, you might enjoy it. Worth a rental if you can handle how up front sleazy this is.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Vacation: The Next Generation is an old-school set 'em up and knock 'em down slapstick comedy - - it sure ain't no miracle, but dang-it if it don't get the job done! If the cast wasn't so charming they'd never be able to get away with the filth they so lovingly spew. Not a new classic in this venerable franchise, but I laughed and I'm glad I saw it!

B

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Vacation: The Next Generation is an old-school set 'em up and knock 'em down slapstick comedy - - it sure ain't no miracle, but dang-it if it don't get the job done! If the cast wasn't so charming they'd never be able to get away with the filth they so lovingly spew. Not a new classic in this venerable franchise, but I laughed and I'm glad I saw it!

B

Really?!? I must admit that I thought redoing this classic Chevy Chase comedy would be a disaster.

Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.