What narrow/condensed fonts does Windows have?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by poiihy, Apr 14, 2017.

1. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

What narrow/condensed fonts does Microsoft Windows 7 and 10 have, and what's their exact "font family" name that can be used in CSS?

According to Wikipedia's List of typefaces included with Microsoft Windows, it has a font named "Abadi MT Condensed Light" which was included since Win98. This'll be good for me but I couldn't get it to work.

2. 960design macrumors 68020

Helvetica, font-weight: 100, font-size:22px Is a common one I use.

Is there something wrong with importing the font into your CSS?
    https://fonts.google.com/

3. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

I'll do that if Windows doesn't have a condensed font for me
    I just need a narrow font, not thin
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2017 ---
    Also, about that, can I use @import in a linked stylesheet or does it have to be in the html head? I tried it already but it didn't seem to work… I'd rather @import next to the related code than add stuff to the head that isn't needed on most pages

4. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

It seems that Windows has nothing so I went ahead and embedded Open Sans Condensed for Windows & other users. I had to link the stylesheet in the html head; @import next to the related CSS code didn't work.
    Mac users will see Avenir Next Condensed or Arial Narrow; MSW users & everyone else will see Open Sans Condensed.
    If anyone's interested, I'm using condensed fonts for the timestamps in a chat to make them narrower. It looks better now :)

[​IMG]

I'm still wondering if Windows actually has this font "Abadi MT Condensed Light"; I couldn't find it in my virtual machines and it's not on Microsoft's list so is the Wikipedia page incorrect?

5. Kcetech1 macrumors regular

must be wrong, I checked my windows 7 workstation with office 2013 installed and there is no hint of it in either the fonts master folder or in Word.