Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I'd like to see these two carried over form the iPod nano:

IMG_2206.png

IMG_2205.png

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Now I want all of the ones mentioned... I wonder if there will be a jailbreak equivalent for the watch that will let us load in our own stuff.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Agreed with others on the desire for a watch face store as part of the App Store. I have to believe that is in the offing. On behalf of my wife and kids, I'll throw the Harry Potter universe, in particular Doby the house elf, and Dr Who onto the wish list. :D

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Agreed with others on the desire for a watch face store as part of the App Store. I have to believe that is in the offing. On behalf of my wife and kids, I'll throw the Harry Potter universe, in particular Doby the house elf, and Dr Who onto the wish list. :D

I'm far from convinced this will happen, for plenty of reasons. It is a core window into the watch experience and it not unlike Apple to want to maintain control of that. They have gone to great lengths to promote the quality and thought of their own faces; 3rd parties would just dilute that. There would need to be an unrealistically high level of quality imposed on the 3rd parties if Apple wanted to maintain a consistent watch face experience. There would also be a fair amount of coding involved to open up all the various backend connections, in the form of APIs, that allow for complications to be shown live, like fitness, weather etc.

On the other hand, there is probably demand for it and this being a 'personal' device, perhaps Apple will relinquish their usual levels of control.

Personally I'd rather have a guaranteed quality of experience with 10 faces than a variety of unpredictable and hard to manage experiences with 1,000, most of which will be crap.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I'm far from convinced this will happen, for plenty of reasons. It is a core window into the watch experience and it not unlike Apple to want to maintain control of that. They have gone to great lengths to promote the quality and thought of their own faces; 3rd parties would just dilute that. There would need to be an unrealistically high level of quality imposed on the 3rd parties if Apple wanted to maintain a consistent watch face experience. There would also be a fair amount of coding involved to open up all the various backend connections, in the form of APIs, that allow for complications to be shown live, like fitness, weather etc.

On the other hand, there is probably demand for it and this being a 'personal' device, perhaps Apple will relinquish their usual levels of control.

Personally I'd rather have a guaranteed quality of experience with 10 faces than a variety of unpredictable and hard to manage experiences with 1,000, most of which will be crap.

I understand and agree with what you're saying, though I still think Apple will eventually open up custom faces. However, they'll probably do it slowly.

For example, maybe this Fall (with iOS9 perhaps?), they'll announce/release a Watch Face Store, where users can purchase new faces. These faces though, would all be approved by Apple with very strict guidelines and standards. These faces would also only be developed by big name companies, like Disney, NASA, NatGeo, TWC, etc. etc.

Then, perhaps the following fall, they open it up to essentially all developers. It's still way too early to tell of course, but I can't see the Apple Watch having ONLY Apple faces for it's entire life.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

I like the idea as well but like you don't see Apple doing this in the near future. They want a consistent user experience. When people show off their watch to their friends, their friend will see the same faces o nthe watch they buy. etc.

eish2306

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
I would like to second this smart gentleman's vote for more Disney characters.

Sulley/Mater first, if possible =)

Well like you can change the complications if you tap the character and the scroll the crown it could circle through all the Disney characters from Elsa to Eeyore and Baymax to the Beast - having each character as a different watch would be a bit much but have them all in one face as options could be cool

For ease of access they could be listed in the settings app on the phone

----------

That's kinda cool - I forgot what they are called now but I say a large wall clock version of this quite recently - also had an alphabet one next to it with text scrolling

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
That's kinda cool - I forgot what they are called now but I say a large wall clock version of this quite recently - also had an alphabet one next to it with text scrolling

Oh nice. It reminds of the age of vacuum tubes.

This is the one I use the most:
IMG_2208.png

Here is the Roman numerals someone mentioned:
IMG_2221.png

Camusrieux

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
A watch face where you can make the background a photo from your library.

That one did exist for the Apple Watch, circa September 2014: it was called Photo. It's dead now (as, apparently, is another one called Timelapse), though I can't find any official announcement of that.

It's not clear why Timelapse and Photo were nixed, but two possible explanations are (1) they were too tough on battery life and (2) they made the black bezel too visible, and that's a huge no-no from the perspective of Jony Ive and his designers.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I hope that they figure out a way to allow the return of "Photo" so that users can put their own photos on their watches -- how much more personal can one get? I use one of my own photos as wallpaper on all of my devices -- computers, iPads, iPhone.....and would love to do the same with the Apple watch.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Nixie (as someone posted earlier)

3d rendered mechanical chrono; skeleton;

7-segment LED, à la Hamilton Pulsar and the like.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Nixie tubes!

I like the idea as well but like you don't see Apple doing this in the near future. They want a consistent user experience. When people show off their watch to their friends, their friend will see the same faces on the watch they buy. etc.

Alas, you make too much sense. You could be right that Apple wants to put forth a consistent image (of their design, not ours), at least at first. Hopefully it won't be too long before they open up watchfaces to developers.

As for possible face ideas, here again is an Android Wear user-designed face download repository display case, which might give readers some ideas. I've set it to default to most popular square designs (although many of them also work with round faces, and thus that's the first pic you see).

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2010
Nixie tubes!

Alas, you make too much sense. You could be right that Apple wants to put forth a consistent image (of their design, not ours), at least at first. Hopefully it won't be too long before they open up watchfaces to developers.

As for possible face ideas, here again is an Android Wear user-designed face download repository display case, which might give readers some ideas. I've set it to default to most popular square designs (although many of them also work with round faces, and thus that's the first pic you see).

I'd like to see enthusiasts get on board and offer Omega faces, Rolex faces etc. I know it is not going to happen without hacks etc because those companies are already on the legal defensive.. but a nice black market of them would be awesome.

I have mixed emotions about leaving my Seamaster in a drawer in favour of the new gen of smartwatches.. a Seamaster chrono face would ease the pain somewhat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.