What new features would make you buy ipad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blorzoga, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

As an owner of an ipad, I have yet to hear of a feature purported to be on the ipad 2 that would make me want to upgrade or to even be envious of anyone who gets one. So far I've heard of a non reflective screen (already have one with a PS antiglare) a front facing camera (I have an iPhone 4 and rarely use it, it's really just a novelty), faster processor (might help, but I'm happy with the speed). What else? The retina display rumor has already been dispelled and I'm not even sure that would be a deal-maker. On the iPhone, yes, since the screen's so small, but on the ipad I'm not so sure.

2. windSurfer21 macrumors newbie

3. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

Higher res screen, more features, camera, different material

4. effer macrumors member

The iPad 1 is very slow as a web browser. Anything that would improve this experience (better CPU, more RAM), I would welcome.

5. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Basically they will be the same device, but the ipad 2 will be the full, proper realization of the ipads current potential. With the older CPU and tiny amount of ram in the ipad 1, the ipad 2 will really just make the whole experience feel more complete.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me to buy an iPad2 and sell my iPad1. The new iPad would need a higher resolution screen which isn't happening. That's about it, I don't anything else would tempt me.

I'm very pleased with my iPad as it is

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

More ram is pretty much all I want/ need. Anything would be a bonus. But I probably won't be rushing to get an iPad 2. Unless I have some extra cash laying around.

8. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

+1, same here.

9. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I'll likely buy it regardless.

Hardware updates will always happen. What's going to really make my decision is what they do with the software (the OS).

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Same here; a double-res screen would make it a done deal, but I doubt it's happening this iteration. The other speculated upgrades are incremental and don't have a "wow" factor for me.

Significant weight or thickness reductions would be tempting but not enough by themselves. CPU/memory not a big deal unless they foster a significant change in the user experience (I don't game). Camera for me is "meh"; I personally don't have much use for it (but understand that it'd be significant for others).

11. OSMac macrumors 65816

More ram is needed for browsing, but that alone might not be enough to upgrade. Retina display would have been.

No interest in cameras.

12. bmat macrumors 6502

This is what I care about. Camera, retina display, I don't really care about. But if it could be as fast as my computer in web browsing then I would immediately upgrade.

13. thaghost macrumors 6502

I don't have any complaints with the web browser. It's fast enough for me. I could care less about a camera. The only thing i'd be interested in is the retina display.

14. sineplex macrumors 6502

It will be as thin and as light weight as the ipod touch 4 !

You will want one, and you heard it here first. ;)

15. markhort macrumors 6502a

markhort

I would like a faster CPU and a better screen res. A camera would be nice but not overly important to me.

16. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

The ability to upload documents to a website. I would love to write my entire essay on the iPad then upload it as soon as I'm finished. If not, I'll be getting an 11" Air.

17. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

1 GB RAM and a faster processor, i.e. dual A9 Cortex. But (even though anything's possible) that's not happening, so I won't be upgrading this time around. Camera would be nice, but don't really care. Removing dependency on iTunes would be great, but that's not happening either. Ability to buy books without DRM would be great, but that's not happening either.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I too am content with the browser speed, and until this thread I had no idea people were unhappy with the browser performance.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It's obvious those people have never browsed on another mobile device before, the iPad is a speed demon to anything else I've tried.

If the new pad can pull up a web page in half the time over the same connection, I may think of upgrading. Otherwise, pass.

20. jdcell100 macrumors regular

I can't believe for the life of me why someone would complain about the speed of the browser

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Really?

I'd say browser speed is really the only 1 obvious negative part of the whole "user experience"

Tapping on the wrong link, then having to tap back a link or two is a OMG experience.

Obviously it depends which site you are using and how graphically heavy it is. I must have the fastest possible wifi connection that than iPad can handle and it's still a pain.

Yes, ok, it is usable, but coming from my desktop that renders the whole page in less than a second, so if I want I can tap back, back, back to get to an earlier web page, the iPad feels like it's crawling.

If you have never experienced a really fast desktop web browser, then perhaps the difference would not be so noticeable.

In fairness, yes, it's great for what it is, but really needs to be at least 400% faster.

23. AgDon macrumors newbie

Retina display (higher res.), better cpu (dual core)/ more ram (1G), more storage (double exist.), camera and better iOS (5), thinner and lighter, plus TMO HSPA+ connection. That's what I would like to have and then I'll buy, is that asking to much? Apple will need those spec's to stay equal or ahead in the market.

24. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

1. 128gb Storage
    2. Higher Res Screen
    3. 7" Version

Thats about it

25. elan123 macrumors 6502

wow, an actual reasonable request.. bravo.