Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
iTunes performs both of the those functions, albeit to a lesser degree of sophistication.

itunes can't rename my files, especially based off my tags
itunes will tag your mp3's, but you have to self edit them. my programs do the tags for me with a simple auto-tag click.
itunes will not save the download album art to the mp3. i have to use a Doug script to do this.

iTunes should be able to do more than it can. Way more. It should be the end all be all, but like the iPhone and MMS, Apple simply overlooked it, forgotten about it, or just doesn't give a damn. Too busy bloating iTunes with media for purchasing.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
The only thing I need Windows for is updating the software on my Blackberry, and that will no longer be an issue when RIM releases the Mac desktop manager sometime in the next few months.

There are some time-waster games that I enjoy much more on a Windows machine (Minesweeper, Freecell), but not enough to make me keep a copy of Windows around once the Blackberry junk is fixed. I have gotten used to all of the other apps I use heavily, like Excel & Dreamweaver, and actually have grown to like them better (it was admittedly a steeper learning curve that I would have liked). Of course, that may be because I am running them on a much better machine. ;)

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
MediaMonkey - the best mp3 tagger in the world. Ever. It'll pull all the tags and artwork from Amazon.com as I choose. I do all my mp3 tagging in this program. A clean and lean program with a great UI.

Mp3Tag - being that I'm OCD about things, all my mp3's follow a particular format for naming the actual file. So after I set the tags nice and proper in MediaMonkey, I load the mp3's in to this nifty little program to rename my mp3 files (because different people rename their mp3's in their own way) for consistency. It renames them right from the tags I set so I get (Track#)-(Song Title)-(Album Title)-(Artist Name).mp3
Have you tried this? I use it and its very nice. Tags songs from freedb and grabs album art from amazon, it has a file renamer with custom settings, and a bunch of other stuff i rarely use.
iTunes performs both of the those functions, albeit to a lesser degree of sophistication.
iTunes is a joke, imo. If it werent for the store iTunes would have died a long time ago. I dont like not having WMP in osx. I use Cog at the moment, and its much nicer than iTunes because it doesnt take over my entire music collection, but it still lacks some eye-candy features like album art or bowtie integration.

Akula971

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Perfidious Albion
Printed Circuit Board design

I miss a PCB design software package called Ranger XL. Which means I have to use parallels for it. If only there was a decent mac package.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Have you tried this? I use it and its very nice. Tags songs from freedb and grabs album art from amazon, it has a file renamer with custom settings, and a bunch of other stuff i rarely use.

iTunes is a joke, imo. If it werent for the store iTunes would have died a long time ago. I dont like not having WMP in osx. I use Cog at the moment, and its much nicer than iTunes because it doesnt take over my entire music collection, but it still lacks some eye-candy features like album art or bowtie integration.

Dont forget iPod and iPhone integration too.. I love iTunes and I'm sure Apple will be adding even more features to it in thefuture..

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Dont forget iPod and iPhone integration too.. I love iTunes and I'm sure Apple will be adding even more features to it in thefuture..

For me to use it they will have to allow it to sync to a folder instead of taking control over everything and have a list view that actually lists artists instead of each and every song. Neither of these things are going to happen soon i bet, so iTunes is worthless to me.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
I've never really been a windows user so I don't miss any windows software.
I switched from Linux to MacOS because I got frustrated with the lack of good music recording software. On the Mac I have most of the apps I used in Linux plus a whole lot more.
The only apps I miss is probably the ones that doesn't exist for any platform yet :)

drgrafix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
New England
a clean break at the expense of productivity? is Apple paying you to not use MS products even though you know how to work them? use what you need to get the job done.

Actually... I'm still running Corel and Visio on my Windows Shuttle. I actually bought Vista Pro to put on the Mac... but it's still sealed. Those are the _only_ two apps that I would install on a PC partition, so since I paid for CS3 and have AI... why not learn the industry standard? And Visio... maybe I can get by without it or try some sketch program if needed.

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
What PC software do you miss on Macs

Most definitely a program called Roboform, which keeps track of all my passwords

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
Wordperfect 13

You can install the program with "Crossover" but that way, there are bugs in it. Like not being able to save the document. And NO, I will NOT have Vindoz on my Macbook. ;)

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Do you enjoy having plist files and app support folders littering you mac? If not then you have to use an uninstall app anyway.

I've never had a 4 kb plist file or an app support folder affect my Mac at all. I darn sure have had left over DLL's and lines in the registry cause problems on my Windows machines. I would go so far as to say that these are the only serious problems I've ever had with Windows. For the most part my Windows systems have been very solid. I'm not one to hate Windows, though I do prefer Mac's.

wahit

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2005
Portugal
The software I think it would be very cool for OSX is:

- Rhinoceros (coming to OSX in 2009. Beta already here)

- Solidworks

- 3D Studio Max

- AutoCAD

- Alias Studio

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I've never had a 4 kb plist file or an app support folder affect my Mac at all. I darn sure have had left over DLL's and lines in the registry cause problems on my Windows machines. I would go so far as to say that these are the only serious problems I've ever had with Windows. For the most part my Windows systems have been very solid. I'm not one to hate Windows, though I do prefer Mac's.

In all of my years using windows (since 3.1) the only registry issues i have had were my own fault (i tend to tweak thing i shouldnt).

Suspended
Jan 12, 2009
Windows Movie Maker, i loved that so much.....

For me to use it they will have to allow it to sync to a folder instead of taking control over everything and have a list view that actually lists artists instead of each and every song. Neither of these things are going to happen soon i bet, so iTunes is worthless to me.

you can already set it to view artists etc, its rather simple. after all the customization to my iTunes (nothing added, just modified), downloading iTunes on my PC and using it really seemed like a whole different program

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
you can already set it to view artists etc, its rather simple.

Forgive me if i missed this, but how can i sort by artists in list mode without having a list of every single song, just the artists? When i go into list mode it shows every single song which i can order by artist, but it cannot show just a list of the artists.

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Do you enjoy having plist files and app support folders littering you mac? If not then you have to use an uninstall app anyway.

Yeah I hate that - infact it makes Mac OS X more complex when you have equal chance of getting either an installer or just the .app.

At least Windows is consistant, and provides a system managed way of uninstalling stuff. That said the uninstallers leave as many things around (unless they're well programmed) as does Mac OS X's dual way of doing things.

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Forgive me if i missed this, but how can i sort by artists in list mode without having a list of every single song, just the artists? When i go into list mode it shows every single song which i can order by artist, but it cannot show just a list of the artists.

View > Show Browser

Welcome to several years ago ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.