What should be in the second generation iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Quillz, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I just picked up my 32 GB iPod touch today. I waited a while to pick one up, as I knew 32 GB was inevitable, and most of the hardware issues appear to have been fixed, as well.

So... What should be in the second generation iPod touch? Personally, I'd like to see
    • 16 GB as the standard model, with price premium models of 32 GB and 64 GB
    • Physical volume buttons on the top left side of the touch, like on the iPhone
    • Much lower price for the standard model, bring it down to at least $249 or so
    • Upgrade the Wi-Fi hardware to b/g/n
    That's all I can really think of. Beyond that, the iPod touch is already pretty good as is.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's too early/expensive for 64GB. Maybe next winter.

Agreed

Unlikely, it would screw up the pricing of the entire iPod lineup.

Pointless. It wouldn't give a speed boost and it would just be a power hog. The argument about "it won't slow down my home network" isn't really valid as most people don't have 802.11n and those who do wouldn't notice a difference unless they're doing network file transfers, which most people don't.

3. Quillz thread starter macrumors 65816

Quillz

The pricing may mess up the iPod line slightly, but it just doesn't seem to make much sense as is to pay $299 for an 8 GB iPod touch when the same price will get you a 16 GB iPhone. As a consumer, I just find it odd.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, a capacity shift would solve a part of that problem. Then they would be at the same price. If you'd want the cell service, I don't think that Apple would be crying over it when you choose the iPhone.

5. bloodycape macrumors 65816

bluetooth with a2dp stereo support
    a XGA or better yet WXGA screen
    HD video support so when outputted to a HD tv would be nice also.
    This would never happen, but fm radio with fm transmitter built in.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, you pay US$299 for an iPod touch but you pay US$299 + activation fee + 24x monthly fees for voice + extra monthly fee for unlimited data + extra monthly fee for x amount of SMS messages.

The touch is still much, much cheaper than an iPhone.

7. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

no bluetooth, but better screen, yes!
    it would be nice for a camera, but i know it will never happen

8. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I'd like a 64 GB option. I can't even consider a Touch until they get to at least 64 GB.

9. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    :D a phone??:D:D
    I love mine as it is, holds tons of tunes, surf everyplace I find WiFi, keep track of my clients flight progress in the airports and cell phone lots, wouldn't be me without it at my side, I am going to bite on an i Phone 3G, but just an 8 GB, for the latest music/photos/just released movie. The iTouch gets the "gotta have stuff".
    Went from a 4 year old shuffle to the iTouch,3 Nano's for the family,to a refurb BMB, next 3 i-Phones, and a MBA for my wife, a new AMB for my Son and Daughter for Christmas. 15 years w/ Windoze, now I'm all :apple::apple::apple:

10. nirvana06 macrumors regular

I'd like a nice camera if possible. 5mpx at least, so its usable.

11. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Why no BT? Is there something wrong with it?

12. mosx macrumors 65816

5MP in a cellphone like camera? Eek, talk about terrible image quality.

Unless they put a real camera on it.... But the optics cellphone style cameras use are terrible. I always laugh when people say "my phone has a 5MP camera!" then they show me a picture and its all blurred, washed out, and looks 100x worse than the 2MP camera on the iPhone.

The quality of the pixels is far more important than the number of pixels.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, on a phone I wouldn't want more than 2MP considering the size of the sensor - with 5MP all you'd be getting was 3MP of extra noise.

Phone cameras are meant to be there for the random happy snap or to capture something on the fly - they simply cannot be called upon to replace a real digital camera.

14. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Apple could add bluetooth and GPS and it would barely dent the price or the size of the device.

I'm not convinced a camera of any MP would be a great idea (it would increase both the size and price, and wouldn't be very good).

Personally, I'd just like to see more memory - 64GB would be great - but 32GB is pretty big, and I'll settle for it on 24 July when I buy mine in the USA.

Oh - and copy/cut/patste native.

15. Xavier macrumors 68020

802.X support which I believe will be here with the 2.0 update. Either way, it is one of my biggest complaints about the current iPod.

16. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I would beg to differ about the camera. If you ever saw a picture shot from a more recent Sony Cybershot line of camera they are using a similar sensor to their slim line of camera.

17. qacjared macrumors regular

Software wise the iTouch would make a great Multitouch Bonjour Remote. Think about it. Control your apple tv over your network with a bonjour remote.

18. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

The iPod touch could be given wireless N, with the option not to use it.

Just a thought.

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Bluetooth. I have it on my Samsung P2 and as such my Touch has been demoted to game boy/internet device.

Camera with flash. The Touch has the greatest screen of any media player. It begs for photos. The reason most camera photos suck is no flash. You can get great photos from even a 2mp camera if you have enough light to keep the shutter speed fast. Throw in a little optical zoom, and no one will buy a dedicated pocket camera again.

Now that you've got a camera, put in a movie capture app.

Yes, you can always find better implementations on dedicated devices. It's about convenience. I don't lug my great camera around with me every day, but I've almost always got my Touch with me.

20. whiteness macrumors member

21. stevie-why macrumors newbie

I think the biggest feature (and best) would be GPS!!!

22. awmazz macrumors 65816

A speaker. Or two.

A camera would be good too.

23. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'd like to see a full iPhone without the phone. I will never go with AT&T. And the 3G iPhone will be strictly AT&T only, very tight. But I do want a Touch with the full iPhone features (camera, speaker, side buttons, ect.).

24. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I would love to see a speaker (once they can incorporate it into the device while keeping the 8mm width) and side volume up/down buttons, and above the volume buttons could be a button that acts for Play/Pause, that would be freakin' sweet IMO!

25. gaskan macrumors newbie

my 2g itouch ideas

this is what i would like to see.

1: a volume button on the side

2: a play/pause button on the side (because if you have your itouch in your
    pocket and you have to pause it, you have to take the ipod out and touch the pause button which could get anoying)

3: speakers on the ipod touch.

4: no mirror finish on the back of the ipod, since the back gets smudges and scrathches on it easily. get a finish like the iphone.

5: bigger storage capacity. have a 16GB standard model, 32GB, and 64GB.

6: FM radio

7: a price cut