What time should I camp out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by troop231, Jun 17, 2010.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

Since I couldn't get a friggun pre-order, what time should I wait outside ATT on the 24th if I don't have to work that day? I was thinkin 4:30 ish, Thanks!

2. stefc93 macrumors regular

I'm going to my local AT&T store at about 4 or 5 am. Depends how large your town/city is.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Intentionally camp out? Not a chance. It's disaster waiting to happen, besides, it's going to be like Black Friday on June. Waaay too many people and something will go wrong.

4. asl06 macrumors member

I you could, I'd wait outside an Apple store if thats available. You would have better odds getting your hand on one. My AT&T store in FL isn't even getting extra ones. But I would definately make a trip out that way around midnight and check to see if anyone is there. I bet they won't have a lot so you wanna be in the front of the line. Best of luck.

How did you get around that deposit too?

5. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

I didn't, gonna have to suck it up with BS ATT

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

7. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

well I mean, they didn't even try to pre-order because they like the experience of camping out.

8. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

see above

9. asl06 macrumors member

yeah I went through that last yr with my 3G at the time, I ended up using a family members credit card and just gave them 214. Then I got a crappy credit card right after to start getting credit.

10. MissyD macrumors member

Do you have a 24 hour Walmart nearby? You may consider trying there first between midnight and 3-ish. If you have a sku number for Walmart you can even sweet talk an associate into checking arriving inventory the day prior to launch date. If there are none to be had at Wally's, move on to AT&T and get in line there around 4-5.

11. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

With only having to put $50 down at Best Buy it seemed like an easy thing to do to avoid being totally undocumented. Since no one really knows what the Best Buy pre-order guarantees or doesn't, I will be intentionally showing up around 5 in the morning to wait.

The Manager hinted strongly that those who pre-ordered would have their own line. Either way, I wanna be first. Just cuz I've never done anything like this.

Blonde Buddhist

12. ttech10 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't consider camping out for an iPhone intentionally, you're forced to do so because they didn't have it for pre-order.

Personally I really don't see why anyone would intentionally camp out, just the people forced to because they couldn't get a pre-order.

13. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Yeah I do, but If I have to work on the 24th im gonna be out of luck of getting a iPhone 4 anytime soon within the next month.

14. ttech10 macrumors 6502

We have a population of 150,000 and 4 AT&T stores and all of them had people camped out at around 4am for the 3G and 3GS.

What I'd suggest is waking up early (or not sleeping) and keep driving by every 30 minutes or so starting at 3 to see when people are showing up. As stated earlier, it all depends on how big your city is and what kind of people live there. We're a college town with a good amount of kids staying over the summer so a majority of the lines are college kids.

15. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Some people do.

16. cynikal macrumors member

i pre-ordered one iphone for myself and one for my girl, but only my order shows up online, so i'm unsure/afraid that hers didn't go through, so i may be joining the camp out..

unfortunately i live in one of the biggest cities in the world, nyc.. so camping out may be required (and very early in advance).. not sure which site/store would work best.

there's a radio shack near my house, an at&t in the financial district where i work (and it's usually pretty dead not during business hours since it's not really a residential area), and of course apple stores in the mall, as well as apple stores (incl. the 24 hour apple store on 5th ave.. but i'm pretty sure they will kick everyone out before at a certain time).

but my question is, if you camp out at a mall, what happens when the doors to the mall open? is it a mad dash to the apple store inside? then the whole point of the line is moot because it just becomes a running contest once the mall doors open, no ?

17. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

wear your nike's!

Im not sure, but it sounds like each mall has a variation of what you just described. I live 2 hours from an Apple store, which happens to be the Mall of America store and I am SO glad i have an ATT, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart within 1 mile of each other to avoid that. The busiest Mall in the states, on the craziest day in Apple history= YIKES!

Blonde Buddhist

18. stellablue96 macrumors member

Ok..be honest with me. I am 30 weeks pregnant...my phone was stolen...I have been using a crap phone waiting for the new iphone to come out.

My account was seriously f-ed up on pre-order day and I was not able to do ANYTHING until night time on the 15th. I want this phone on launch day and don't want to wait until July 14th.

If I show up at an apple or at&t store at 6am do I have ANY chance without a reservation? This pregnant girl is not camping out. I live in Michigan...its not like its a huge city but there are not that many apple stores around.

19. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Just received my daily call back from Best Buy and was again told that they will not be opening early. They "only" have " 20 or so" pre-orders and anticipate only 10-15 minutes per order.

Also, this Best Buy will be taking those who did pre-order first, and have us in our own line. This Manager told me that an hour early would be plenty. I plan on getting there 4 hours early, which will be 6, checking out the ATT store's line, and if there is none, get it at ATT.

Blonde Buddhist

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Tell the hubby/bf/baby daddy/sperm donor/______ to stand in line for you.

At any rate, if you even get a phone, expect to wait inline for atleast 2-3 hours. I know it probably isn't what you want to hear but availability will be tight for a popular product on the first day its released.

21. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

if i was guaranteed there would be white ones at launch if i waited, I MIGHT consider camping out.

22. stellablue96 macrumors member

I thought the account owner is the only person that can purchase the phone?

23. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I do have an i4 on reserve. Because stores should be opening at 7, when should I be in line? Is 5:45am too late? I don't want to wait too long in line.

24. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

um, try 11PM the night before. I waited from 10PM - 9AM for the Wii on launch and it wasn't even that big a deal on launch.

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I was there at 4AM last year and there were ten ahead of me. When the pr-order line formed, I was third.