What to Do if You're Not Seeing Your Apple TV+ 1-Year Free Trial Offer

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV+ officially launched on November 1, and anyone who purchased an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, or Mac after September 10 can get a year's subscription to it for free.

The free one-year trial can be activated in the Apple TV app at launch on any qualifying Apple device. However, we've heard reports that some iPhone 11 owners aren't seeing the trial they're entitled to in the TV app.

If the trial isn't showing up for you on your device, here's a solution that appears to be working for many people.

Open a desktop web browser, go to https://tv.apple.com and log in using your Apple ID credentials. You should be able to accept the 1-year free trial offer from there. Then on your iPhone, sign out of the TV app, close it, then launch the app and sign in again.

Your one-year free Apple TV+ trial should hopefully now be active.

1-Year Subscription to Apple TV+ Offers Savings

Also today, Apple quietly added a one-year plan to its subscription options for the video streaming service.

A one-year Apple TV+ subscription offers a $9.89 annual saving over the $4.99 monthly plan (around a 15 percent discount). Users can select it without affecting their free one year trial by going to the Account section of the TV app: Manage Subscriptions -> Apple TV+.

(Thanks, orbitalpunk!)

Article Link: What to Do if You're Not Seeing Your Apple TV+ 1-Year Free Trial Offer

Last edited:

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Honestly, I was just looking for a solution for this! Thanks MR! 😄

Also, started with the Morning Show, and I may have thought that it would be completely censored crap, but halfway through first episode, I kinda like it.

Reactions: pauliaK

Stephen.R

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I’m curious how this works with multiple purchases within a 12 month period.

Let’s say (these are hypothetical but likely purchases I’ll make) I buy an iPad Air in December, and get the 12 months free, and then say in March i buy my wife a new iPad Pro (or whatever month they come out) - does that then add a year? Is it just “free for 12 months after any (applicable) hardware purchase?

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
The free year seems to be tied to the purchasing ID, not the activating ID of the new device. I bought an iPhone XR for my daughter's birthday last month which was set up and activated using her Apple ID, but it's me who's got the 1-year free trial.

I'm not sure how that works though if you bought the qualifying device from a third-party, or if you bought it from a bricks-and-mortar Apple Store so the purchase wouldn't be tied to a specific Apple ID - I guess then it must be tied to the ID used to activate the device which seems a very inconsistent approach!

What's other people's experience here?

EmotionalSnow

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
Still not working... even through the website? Bought MacBook Air THIS WEEK!
Install the newest version of macOS, and wait a day or two as Apple TV+ rolls out. If it still does not work afterwards please contact Apple as only they will be able to fix this issue.

Reactions: BM1195

blockheads88

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
Bellmore, Long Island, NY
You may not see the office if you have a student version of Apple Music. If you have Student Apple Music you get Apple TV+ for free and it looks like it’s tied to that. The question is now no one else in your family is able to watch it?

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Let’s say (these are hypothetical but likely purchases I’ll make) I buy an iPad Air in December, and get the 12 months free, and then say in March i buy my wife a new iPad Pro (or whatever month they come out) - does that then add a year? Is it just “free for 12 months after any (applicable) hardware purchase?
Yeah my question is, how long do we have until we can’t redeem the free year. Logically I would just wait as long as possible before activating my boyfriend’s free trial.

Reactions: ToneDriver

Sebski

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
UK

"Offer valid for three months after eligible device activation, from 1 November 2019." - from Apple website
- - Post merged: - -

Yeah my question is, how long do we have until we can’t redeem the free year. Logically I would just wait as long as possible before activating my boyfriend’s free trial.
"Offer valid for three months after eligible device activation, from 1 November 2019." - from Apple website

Reactions: pauliaK and arn

urtules

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
My free year showed up. I’ll be cancelling it 11 months from now lol.
You don't have to wait for 11 month and cancel right now, you will be able to use all year. Cancel now so you don't forget.
UPDATE: Ignore my advise, Apple TV+ subscription works in a different way.

Last edited:

pauloregan

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
From Apple:

Get one year free Apple TV+ when you buy a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac.
Terms and conditions:
• Offer is available for a limited time only.
• Offer cannot be combined with other free trials or offers for Apple TV+.
• Only one offer per Family, regardless of number of devices purchased. You can
share your 1 year free Apple TV+ with up to 5 other family members via Family
Sharing.
• Redeem your 1 year free in the Apple TV app starting November 1, 2019. Make
sure your eligible device is running the latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS.
• Offer must be claimed in the Apple TV app within 3 months after first setting
up your new device. To see the offer appear, you will need to sign in with your Apple ID on your new device. If you’ve purchased your new device before the launch of Apple TV+ on November 1, you will have 3 months starting November 1 to redeem.
• Upon claiming the offer, you commit to a $4.99/month subscription that starts immediately after the 1 year free and automatically renews until cancelled. You can cancel at any time in Settings at least a day before each renewal date. If you cancel during your free year, you and your family members will immediately lose access to Apple TV+ and the remainder of your 1-year free trial. You can’t reactivate this trial.
Eligible devices:
• Any new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac capable of running the latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS purchased after September 10, 2019, from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller, is eligible.

Reactions: pauliaK

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
One free year per Apple ID. I’d say if you bought another device within the year your current plan will cancel out the opportunity a new plan. To get 12 months you’d need to setup and always sign into device with new Apple ID. But perhaps you can do a workaround through the web player, signing on using the other Apple ID when you need it. But then you might need to 2-factor authenticate each sign in.

ovo6

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Why every show only has 3 episodes this **** wack man ,I would never pay for this service or Disney thank god this free

Guessman84

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
You don't have to wait for 11 month and cancel right now, you will be able to use all year. Cancel now so you don't forget.
If you cancel now, you lose the remainder of your free subscription. Check the terms, it’s pretty clear on that.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Thx MR. I did need to log in on a browser to activate, with two differences:

1. This workaround did work from an iPhone browser. I didn’t need to use a desktop browser.
2. I needed to restart my iPhone for ATV+ authentication to activate. Logging out and closing the app didn’t work.

djcristi

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
Bucharest , Romania
you can login with an US itunes account in an iphone 11 (or other new device) and when you open apple tv app it will show the 1 year free , apply for it, then use wherever you want with that account.