What to do with 5,000GB of storage?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scubasteve03, May 3, 2009.

1. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I was messing around on Amazon last night looking for a new HD to stick in my Time Capsule. You're not going to believe the deal I got. I saw a 1Tb Seagate Barracuda for $6.50!!!! So I ordered the last 5 they had in stock!! With shipping I got 5 Terrabytes for under $60. I'll post a picture of my invoice later. If you look on amazon.com right now you will see that HD is the number one item sold in electronics for ONE day in a row. I guess they fixed it pretty quick, the price is now back up to $139. Do you think they will have to honor the sale since everything went through? I hope they don't give me any trouble. If you goto Walmart and they misprice something, they have to honor that price.
    Right now, I have the 500Gb TC and it is not enough for my wife and I to back out computers up with. I have checked out the Drobo, the HP Media Server and other NAS/HD storage devices and I can't figure out what the best and most seamless way to backup a MB, MBP and a PC. Thanks for your insight.
    I obviously do not need this much storage, should I sell some of the drives on ebay or keep them for later? I do alot of video editing for my family vacation so I guess I could use the storage. I dont know what to do...

2. scottintosh macrumors member

3. chickenninja macrumors 6502

chickenninja

dont worry once the deal is made amazon cant readjust the price. if they try; fight it, you wont loose.

now what to do with all that storage
    -keep 3 terrabites for yourself, one to start using now,one to backup the data (time capsule or other) and one for the next time you find yourself needing a new one.
    and sell the rest.
    youll have a really hard time even filling up one terrabyte, and by the time you do fill it up; terrabite drives will be even cheeper than the deal you got.

4. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

in germany amazon sometimes also has this huge price erros.
    If you order, some hours later they cancle your order and tell you it was a mistake. Nothin u can do bout it.
    Don't know in the US

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I'd sell some... there's no way you're ever going to use that much storage.

6. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Oh, of course they can. Their small print states:

I'm not sure whether the fact the price isn't an offer to sell, but rather an invitation to treat, applies since the OP has already 'bought' the product. I'd imagine until he receives confirmation that it does, and in that case, he's definitely not receiving the hard drives :(

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

they'll probably cancel the order. let us know what happens though!

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...good luck getting it for the price you listed... I hope it works out but doubt it will...

9. bobnugget macrumors regular

Yeah, I bought a load of (20!) iPod Nanos for £49 each when they first came out in a misprice like this. They cancelled my order, saying sorry it was a misprice, which I think was fair. They also gave me a £25 gift voucher.

I did get a nice MacBook Aluminium for £600, and a MacBook white for £480 last week in a similar situation from Additions Direct in the UK. Those have arrived, and I'll be using my one as soon as the Migration Wizard has finished :)

10. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I smell a RAID box in the works...............

Use 4 out of the gate, and keep one in case a drive fails, in the future.

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That's not true. I could use that much storage very easily by putting my entire DVD/Blu Ray collection on them. The only reason why I haven't done this is because it would take way too much time.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hope you ordered overnight shipping; usually that's the best way to prevent them from canceling your order.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like a great deal, but I think Amazon will end up canceling the order.

14. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

16. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I say it gets canceled.

If not, send a screen grab of the shipping notification, and then a pic of the drives themselves... or it didn't happen.

I saw the same error a few days back, but didn't bite.

17. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Wow, amazing! Congratz man, hope you get to keep it.

I only used Amazon once to order a PS3 at launch day and they cancelled it the next day saying it was an error :(

5TB though! Nice.

18. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I dont even think I could use a full TB!! 5 is just crazy! I would dedicate one for music, one for photos, one for movies, one for whatever else.

19. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

If you're backing up and editing Red media, 5TB might be a nice place to start.

20. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I've got 4 TB of hard drive in my Mac Pro. The file I am studying with my Ph.D. student is 100 GB (I'm a professor at a research university). So this gives an indication of the size of things we are working with.

I think that a case like mine is somewhat rare. Most people will not have a need for so much storage at this point in time.

Your deal on Amazon is great. It may get canceled, but it is a fun story nonetheless! :)

21. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

Proof!

Here you go guys, here is a picture of the invoice. It's still going through as of today...

Attached Files:

22. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I would have bought 100 of them. That's amazing.

Thank you for showing the invoice. I'll still be surprised if the order is delivered.... but sometimes good surprises happen! Good luck to you!

23. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333