Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Hey guys, I was messing around on Amazon last night looking for a new HD to stick in my Time Capsule. You're not going to believe the deal I got. I saw a 1Tb Seagate Barracuda for $6.50!!!! So I ordered the last 5 they had in stock!! With shipping I got 5 Terrabytes for under $60. I'll post a picture of my invoice later. If you look on amazon.com right now you will see that HD is the number one item sold in electronics for ONE day in a row. I guess they fixed it pretty quick, the price is now back up to $139. Do you think they will have to honor the sale since everything went through? I hope they don't give me any trouble. If you goto Walmart and they misprice something, they have to honor that price.
Right now, I have the 500Gb TC and it is not enough for my wife and I to back out computers up with. I have checked out the Drobo, the HP Media Server and other NAS/HD storage devices and I can't figure out what the best and most seamless way to backup a MB, MBP and a PC. Thanks for your insight.
I obviously do not need this much storage, should I sell some of the drives on ebay or keep them for later? I do alot of video editing for my family vacation so I guess I could use the storage. I dont know what to do...

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
dont worry once the deal is made amazon cant readjust the price. if they try; fight it, you wont loose.

now what to do with all that storage
-keep 3 terrabites for yourself, one to start using now,one to backup the data (time capsule or other) and one for the next time you find yourself needing a new one.
and sell the rest.
youll have a really hard time even filling up one terrabyte, and by the time you do fill it up; terrabite drives will be even cheeper than the deal you got.

M.a.r.k.

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
in germany amazon sometimes also has this huge price erros.
If you order, some hours later they cancle your order and tell you it was a mistake. Nothin u can do bout it.
Don't know in the US

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
dont worry once the deal is made amazon cant readjust the price. if they try; fight it, you wont loose.

now what to do with all that storage
-keep 3 terrabites for yourself, one to start using now,one to backup the data (time capsule or other) and one for the next time you find yourself needing a new one.
and sell the rest.
youll have a really hard time even filling up one terrabyte, and by the time you do fill it up; terrabite drives will be even cheeper than the deal you got.

Oh, of course they can. Their small print states:

"No contract will subsist between you and Amazon.co.uk* for the sale by it to you of any product unless and until Amazon.co.uk accepts your order by e-mail confirming that it has dispatched your product. That acceptance will be deemed complete and will be deemed for all purposes to have been effectively communicated to you at the time Amazon.co.uk sends the e-mail to you (whether or not you receive that e-mail)."

I'm not sure whether the fact the price isn't an offer to sell, but rather an invitation to treat, applies since the OP has already 'bought' the product. I'd imagine until he receives confirmation that it does, and in that case, he's definitely not receiving the hard drives :(

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Yeah, I bought a load of (20!) iPod Nanos for £49 each when they first came out in a misprice like this. They cancelled my order, saying sorry it was a misprice, which I think was fair. They also gave me a £25 gift voucher.

I did get a nice MacBook Aluminium for £600, and a MacBook white for £480 last week in a similar situation from Additions Direct in the UK. Those have arrived, and I'll be using my one as soon as the Migration Wizard has finished :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I hope you ordered overnight shipping; usually that's the best way to prevent them from canceling your order.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I say it gets canceled.

If not, send a screen grab of the shipping notification, and then a pic of the drives themselves... or it didn't happen.

I saw the same error a few days back, but didn't bite.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Wow, amazing! Congratz man, hope you get to keep it.

I only used Amazon once to order a PS3 at launch day and they cancelled it the next day saying it was an error :(

5TB though! Nice.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I dont even think I could use a full TB!! 5 is just crazy! I would dedicate one for music, one for photos, one for movies, one for whatever else.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
If you're backing up and editing Red media, 5TB might be a nice place to start.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
I've got 4 TB of hard drive in my Mac Pro. The file I am studying with my Ph.D. student is 100 GB (I'm a professor at a research university). So this gives an indication of the size of things we are working with.

I think that a case like mine is somewhat rare. Most people will not have a need for so much storage at this point in time.

Your deal on Amazon is great. It may get canceled, but it is a fun story nonetheless! :)

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Proof!

Here you go guys, here is a picture of the invoice. It's still going through as of today...

Attachments

• amazon invoice.PNG
    amazon invoice.PNG
    29.8 KB · Views: 437

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
Here you go guys, here is a picture of the invoice. It's still going through as of today...

I would have bought 100 of them. That's amazing.

Thank you for showing the invoice. I'll still be surprised if the order is delivered.... but sometimes good surprises happen! Good luck to you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.