Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Thats exactly what its going to be. An iPad with a 9.7 inch screen, an A9 or A10, a non impressive camera, and Apple pencil support. $269 for 32 gigs, 399 for 128 gigs. Education markets will probably be able to by it in the $199-$229 price range. So, about the price of a cheep Chromebook
[doublepost=1522068085][/doublepost]I believe that at the event, Apple will focus on the Classroom 2.2 updates, and maybe some iBooks text books updates, and the cheeper iPads. Then, right afterwords, apple.com will be updated with:
1. iPad, 2018, $269 for 32 gigs, $399 for 128 gigs, available for preorder March 30, available April 6.
2. iPhone X, Gold, same dates
3. Apple Airpower, same dates, $169
4. Apple AirPods case, $99.
Thats it.

The Ax they put in it will be based on what makes sense financially for them. It may make sense to put an A10 or similar if it reduces production complexity by focusing on a few CPUs, or rationalising the process node they're using across all devices for example.

I'd expect them to keep costs down by not having a laminated screen, and less RAM as default in the lower end device. The rumoured prices may also be educational prices so may not be a dramatic drop - maybe $299 for retail pricing?

They could do a simpler pencil with limited/no pressure sensitivity and no tilt for maybe $49, but keep the ipad compatible with the current pencil so people that want those features for more art applications can still buy the more expensive pencil, but for notes etc the cheaper one will be fine.

As for airpods, I don't think they'll just release a case. I think they'll refresh the full airpod product at the same price including the wireless charging case (basically just a copper loop so almost no cost to add it), and after introducing the 'new airpods that work with airpower' they'll go 'oh and if you already have airpods, you can buy the case only for $79 or whatever price'

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Arrrrrrg! I just bought a 2017 iPad last week.

If you bought it from an Apple Store they are very flexible about returns when something new is announced. iPhones can be an odd situation but non iPhone is generally cake. If you bought it within 2 weeks before the announcement they will generally let you exchange it for the new thing as long as that launch is within 30 days from the announcement. I’ve even called the online store for web orders and they had some way to note the return authorization

frank-be

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
Belgium
Why do kids in school even need computers? When I was in school we learned the hard way. I had at least to huge backpacks of textbooks!
All I see is my children don’t like to write anymore. Learning from a computer screen alone is not efficient at all. Knowledge won’t stick. Maybe writing with a pencil on a touchscreen might make it more attractive.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
As it happens, she got a first from a leading UK university and is currently working as an application developer. So, I'm pretty confident that she is fully aware of the reality of using Windows rather than the fantasy Doomsday fud.

A leading UK University recommends that she uses a Mac and so she goes out and buys a Windows machine. Not a First class decision...

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Why do kids in school even need computers? When I was in school we learned the hard way. I had at least to huge backpacks of textbooks!

Technology should be embraced in the classroom. I'm not sure if the iPad is the answer though! If Apple wants to get serious about education then they need to get a fusion of iOS & macOS together and getting it running on a iMac-like touch screen computer, similar to the Surface Studio or even a new class of MacBook. But Apple will have to make a 'cheap' version for schools otherwise schools should just carry on buying Chromebooks.

In short, Apple needs to compete on price to get a foot in the classrooms. An iPad isn't good enough.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Technology should be embraced in the classroom. I'm not sure if the iPad is the answer though! If Apple wants to get serious about education then they need to get a fusion of iOS & macOS together and getting it running on a iMac-like touch screen computer, similar to the Surface Studio or even a new class of MacBook. But Apple will have to make a 'cheap' version for schools otherwise schools should just carry on buying Chromebooks.
In short, Apple needs to compete on price to get a foot in the classrooms. An iPad isn't good enough.
Agree. This is exactly what I said a year ago - to be blown away at MR.
But anyway, comes time, comes sense.
I predict in another 5 years, even Phil will agree. Vision will conquer courage.

Reactions: Steve121178

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
HUGE MAC MINI ANNOUNCEMENT COMING!

Just kidding. You know that's not happening.
[doublepost=1522034528][/doublepost]

That's probably the most brilliant ideas I've heard in ages. Wow. I'm surprised Apple hasn't thought of this. I see that there are ways to do it via third-party apps, but it's remarkable Apple never built that in (as far as I know. Could be one of those hidden features they seem so fond of.)

They have them. They call them "MacBooks".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.