Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What to Expect at the Apple Event: New Apple Watch Series 6, iPad Air, No iPhone 12

Ds6778

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2016
I get that these sites need clicks, but I feel like they just regurgitate the same info three or four times a day, everyday, until the actual announcement.

Reactions: DocMultimedia

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Can't wait for the new iPad. Mine works great and does everything I need, but I'm bored.

I've looked at these for years. Earlier this year I decided a 12.9 inch iPad Pro with 256GB of memory might interest me but the price I'd be willing to pay for one is $599-

That's what it's worth.

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Given all the products that Apple has released by press release this year, I’d be really surprised if this event was just for an upgraded watch and iPad. I think there will be something entirely new, but I have no idea if it will be tags, AirPod, Apple silicon Mac, or something else. I think they would do an event for iPhone as well.
For me, this could be one of the most interesting events Apple has done for a long time, and it is likely that I will buy at least 1 of the devices they announce.
  • iPhone - I think I’m going to keep my XR for another year. It does everything I need, although I wouldn’t mind a better camera. I’ll probably pick up the smallest new iPhone for my wife though. I hope it is out in time for her birthday.
  • iPad - nope, I expect to get many more years out of my 2018 12.9”
  • Mac - nope, I just got a new 27” iMac, but I am really interested in the Apple Silicone Macs. I just won’t be buying one until at least the 2nd generation. I don’t think we will see these this week, but who knows?
  • Tags - will probably buy some, depending on price and functionality.
  • Watch - will probably upgrade my series 3 to a series 6. I mostly want that always on display, so I may get a series 5 if the price is right, depending on what else they pack in to the series 6.
  • AR Glasses - will probably wait for gen 2 before trying these
  • AirPod mini - the original AirPod still hasn’t been released in New Zealand yet, so I doubt we will get the mini. I don’t think I need a smart speaker anyway.
  • Services?, maybe the bundle subscription that has been rumoure? Not really interested, and probably won’t be available here in NZ anyway.
I’m not saying all of the above are coming next week, I’d just be surprised if it isn’t more than a watch and a tablet.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
""For the “Time Flies” event on the 15th, what I’ve been told is coming for sure is:

Apple Watch SE
Apple Watch Series 6
(or Apple Watch & Watch Pro)

iPad Air 4
iPad 8

I’m sure there might be more, but that’s the main focus of the event.

No iPhone or AirPods Studio""

Last edited:

smythey

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
I think if this iPad Air has TouchID built into the power button, then we’ll see the same across all iOS devices, including this years iPhones (in addition to FaceID).

Face masks have made FaceID on it’s own a lot less seamless.

IAMLUC

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2020
The Netherlands
I'm always super excited about these Apple events, even now it's in a whole different setting.
Curious to the Apple chip! I've always wondered why did not happen earlier. Furthermore, I hope Apple will make the homepod available for The Netherlands since I still have to go abroad to have my hands on this Homepod.

kazmac

macrumors G3
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Hoping for more RAM, Apple Pencil 2 capability for the iPad Air and AS Mac(s) announcement.

If yes to those specs and the Air stays the same price, I’ll order one. If an AS Mac is announced, I may hold off on buying the iPad Air depending on the Mac.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I didn’t see anything that hasn’t already been mentioned.

You are right, the general things had been mention on the article.
but the original poster on the reddit forum seems very confident
and explain lots of other details not covered in the MR article.

And the OP seems very confident we will see new iPhone's announce on the event.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2019
I've looked at these for years. Earlier this year I decided a 12.9 inch iPad Pro with 256GB of memory might interest me but the price I'd be willing to pay for one is $599-

That's what it's worth.

pft. Good luck. “That’s what it’s worth”... come on give me a break. It’s at least worth $699.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Two........ BIG Questions for anyone interested in Air-Tags.....

1: In a perfect world... What distance would you prefer them to work over?
100m, a few 100m, a few miles, or globally anywhere in the world?

2: Would you want/expect your iPhone to be able to let you know someone else's Air-Tag in near you?
So if an Air-Tag was placed on your person, in your luggage or on your car/bike by someone else, you will be able to see there is one near you at your location and be able to find it?

I'm sure we can all imagine many potential scary issues of not being able to see if someone else's Air-Tag was with you and tracking you.

Last edited:

snipr125

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
UK
What we can expect is to spend a lot of money over the next several months.

Yep, definitely getting the Apple Watch SE straight away if they announce it on the 15th Sept, and possibly even the Air 4 (even though I just bought my Air 3 in March!). Then getting the iPhone 12 5.4 for definite in October/November when it’s released, so will be about £1,500 out of pocket by end of it, but not bad for 3 very good Apple products.

Morien

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
2: Would you want/expect your iPhone to be able to let you know someone else's Air-Tag in near you?
So if an Air-Tag was placed on your person, in your luggage or on your car/bike by someone else, you will be able to see there is one near you at your location and be able to find it?

Of course not. But I would like it to send an encrypted identifier to other people’s phones, one that they cannot view or make sense of, that would then allow my Apple ID to find that airtag anywhere in the world (in range of an Apple device).

Reactions: brucemr

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
It'll be interesting to see what's in the new Air for sure; traditionally the Air gets a phone SoC. So even if it's a newer generation (A13) or two (A14) than the Pro it'd still have fewer high performance CPU cores and also fewer GPU cores than the beast that is the A12Z. With a new phone SoC it might be faster in single threaded work but overall slower for heavy multimedia workloads and threaded computation (well, it's more complicated but sorta like that) - the domain of the Pro.

I think an A13 would make great sense in the next Air, it would be fast enough and most likely cheaper to buy from TSMC because it's on a slightly older process with more factory capacity available. Good for profit margins.

However Apple likes to surprise and they were never afraid of doing things like giving it an A14, even if it made the Pro look a bit dated for ~6 months to the casual observer. Sometimes they also have new tech (co-processors, etc.) in the latest SoC that they want to get into all devices asap.
After the iPhone 4 and original iPad, this would then be only the second time a new processor debuted in an iPad and not in an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.