Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What to Expect at the Apple Event: New Apple Watch Series 6, iPad Air, No iPhone 12

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Didn't they redesign the iPad Pros to the all new small bezel Face ID variants with no event? Same with the 16" MBP? We're expecting an event centered around a budget version Apple Watch +possibly a series 6 and an iPad Air update, and that's it?

Seems odd to me. All that stuff could be done in a press release like they

No, the iPad Pro redesign was unveiled at the October 2018 event and this is suspected to be an iPad Air redesign.

canned_tuna_og

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2020
Given all the products that Apple has released by press release this year, I’d be really surprised if this event was just for an upgraded watch and iPad. I think there will be something entirely new, but I have no idea if it will be tags, AirPod, Apple silicon Mac, or something else. I think they would do an event for iPhone as well.
For me, this could be one of the most interesting events Apple has done for a long time, and it is likely that I will buy at least 1 of the devices they announce.
  • iPhone - I think I’m going to keep my XR for another year. It does everything I need, although I wouldn’t mind a better camera. I’ll probably pick up the smallest new iPhone for my wife though. I hope it is out in time for her birthday.
  • iPad - nope, I expect to get many more years out of my 2018 12.9”
  • Mac - nope, I just got a new 27” iMac, but I am really interested in the Apple Silicone Macs. I just won’t be buying one until at least the 2nd generation. I don’t think we will see these this week, but who knows?
  • Tags - will probably buy some, depending on price and functionality.
  • Watch - will probably upgrade my series 3 to a series 6. I mostly want that always on display, so I may get a series 5 if the price is right, depending on what else they pack in to the series 6.
  • AR Glasses - will probably wait for gen 2 before trying these
  • AirPod mini - the original AirPod still hasn’t been released in New Zealand yet, so I doubt we will get the mini. I don’t think I need a smart speaker anyway.
  • Services?, maybe the bundle subscription that has been rumoure? Not really interested, and probably won’t be available here in NZ anyway.
I’m not saying all of the above are coming next week, I’d just be surprised if it isn’t more than a watch and a tablet.

I agree - 2020 has been unprecedented in terms of shifting our way of life because of the virus. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's fall event(s) fell in line with this shift. Whether they have 1 or 2 events, I'm looking forward to new tech, and I hope Apple doesn't underwhelm us (i.e., AirTags).

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I really want an AW6, that's what its about for me this Tuesday, however I am very curious to see the first Apple Silicone Mac come out if it has one, and what its like for real world tests. How does Apple make a good processor, but not so good that it doesn't need to be replaced every 3-4 years, and so good that it matches a MacBook Pro.

Never mind

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
As much as I want the new iPhones to be announced so we can stop with all of these rumors, I doesn't make any sense for Apple to announce new phones that won't be out for another month as people would instantly stop buying the current lineup. When the iPhone X or XR launched, Apple still had a flagship model to sell to people a week after the event.

I think the September 15 is just a small event focused on iPad Air, Apple Watch and services like the rumored fitness service and Apple One.

However, regarding in bold above, we are not buying the current crop anyway because it’s going to be released this or next month.

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What I'm excited about:
- What kind of health sensor/capability the Apple Watch S6 will have
- Performance of first Apple Silicon mac
- How Apple would implement airtags

What I'm looking forward to:
- The value Apple Watch (S4/SE?) and its pricing. An S4 "lite" AW for $199 would be sweet.

What I probably won't like:
- The iPad Air becoming an iPad Pro lite, losing useful things like the headphone jack and probably increasing in price.

Reactions: dantracht

Rainshadow

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2017
How come Apple discontinued and removed all the videos from google about iPhone 11? Also, 2 hour event just about iPads and Apple Watch? That’s it.

That’s not all they have. Apple One will be a big time taker. Rumors about AppleCard expanding, could release AppleTags easily, of course there is the Mac line... HomePod Mini, studio pods. Something we don’t know? Many of these things could or would be released in the iPhone event as well, But none of them need to be. Especially the services.

The one problem about waiting til October for the phones is that I feel it’s more likely to be a Mac event. If that’s the case, the Mac will be trying to outshine the phone on stage and in the news.

Another issue is the LiDAR AR invite. None of these items use AR unless they release phones or iPad pros.

snowatom

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
The iphones will be presented on Tuesday, but with a delayed shipment. Also the Lidar will allow for full body scan, for easier shopping. You can play dress up on yourself.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2016
My guess is two events.
September 15: iPad Air, iPad 8, Apple Watch series 6, Apple1 service bundle/other services updates, and release date for iOS 14, watchOS 7, and tvOS 14. The watches and iPads will be available for pre-order on Friday, September 18, iOS 14.0 will ship on Tuesday, September 22, and the iPads and watches will be available on Friday, September 25.
Then on Tuesday, October 13: iPhone 12 and 12 Pro, AirPods Studio, Homepod Mini, AirTags, and ARM MacBook. also on this date, iOS 14.1 will ship. Then on Friday, October 16, the iPhone 12 and 12 max, AirPods studio, homepod Mini, and airtags will all go up for pre-order, with availability starting on Friday, October 23. The iPhone 12 pro and 12 Pro Max will go out for pre-order on Friday, November 13, with availability starting Friday, November 20. The MacBook will ship in December.
We could also see small products announced via either one of these events, or random website refreshes. Apple TV and a wireless charging mat.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2016
I have a feeling the Apple Watch is coming with a round display! Considering the chronograph watchface and the curvy time flies thing!
sorry, no. That would require an entire redesign of the entire watchOS operating system, plus every single developer would have to completely re-design their applications.

Reactions: neuroleone

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2016
Around Apple Watch will not be happening anytime soon. Apple already has a hard enough time getting developers to develop for the regular Apple Watch, imagine asking all of them to make two different versions of their applications, one for round screens, and one for square screens. That would be absolutely ridiculous. On top of that, it would require Apple to start developing two versions of the watchOS, one for Square, and one for round. This isn’t a situation where it’s just different screen resolutions, these would be completely different operating systems.

Reactions: neuroleone

dantracht

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
What I'm excited about:
- What kind of health sensor/capability the Apple Watch S6 will have
- Performance of first Apple Silicon mac
- How Apple would implement airtags

What I'm looking forward to:
- The value Apple Watch (S4/SE?) and its pricing. An S4 "lite" AW for $199 would be sweet.

What I probably won't like:
- The iPad Air becoming an iPad Pro lite, losing useful things like the headphone jack and probably increasing in price.
With you on the iPad Air. Not very interested in an iPad Air that looks like the 11 Pro, a design I never liked, without a headphone jack, but likely with an A12 or an A13 at best, since I cannot believe it would get an A14. So.....a a design I dislike with the performance pretty much on par with my iPad Air 3? No thanks.

AW6 I am interested in, as my AW4 is ready to be passed down to my son, but will wait for the holidays.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Please Apple ... NO on the Se watch option. Bad idea for several reasons not to mention adding confusion for consumers. Lowers the brand of the other watches. Why add features to take away 2 generations later to lower costs to a consumer whom is targeted to be a casual Apple Watch user or a “look at me in part of the clique” crowd??!

this only worked for the iPhone SE 1st generation because of its size. The 2nd generation was for Touch ID and faster CPU. The Xr because it was larger and cheaper but for a short term only apparently.

just no please. If it’s for kids get them a Fitbit or hand me down for the S3/4. Don’t neuter the product line.

Reactions: MJ22

Deliro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Sadly, none of this really excites me...
  • AW Series 6 won't be much different from Series 5... the SpO2 is nice, but of little value to me (for older people it might the sole reason to get an AW though...)
  • iPad Air... nice, but I'm only interested in the iPad mini... or something that size. on-screen TouchID would be highly welcome though on the next mini.
  • iPhones... the new design is nice but my 11 is doing fine... won't replace for a design upgrade or practically useless 5G.
  • AirTags... nice but depends on pricing, size, battery,... although nothing I really need.
  • HomePod... the hardware is not the problem. The software is. Always was. No fix => no buy.
  • Macbook Air - Apple Silicon... well highly interested because it's major step in getting rid of intel, but I wouldn't buy 1st gen anyway. Just got a new XPS so I'll wait till ~2022 or so until I reconsider macOS.

Now here is a sensible consumer.

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Please Apple ... NO on the Se watch option. Bad idea for several reasons not to mention adding confusion for consumers. Lowers the brand of the other watches. Why add features to take away 2 generations later to lower costs to a consumer whom is targeted to be a casual Apple Watch user or a “look at me in part of the clique” crowd??!

this only worked for the iPhone SE 1st generation because of its size. The 2nd generation was for Touch ID and faster CPU. The Xr because it was larger and cheaper but for a short term only apparently.

just no please. If it’s for kids get them a Fitbit or hand me down for the S3/4. Don’t neuter the product line.
How does an AW SE lower the brand? Right now, Apple already has an AW for just $199. The SE will be an update for the aging S3. A lot of the sensors like ECG are useless in many countries as they are non-functional. If Apple can make a $199 S4 by removing some sensors that doesn't work in all markets, it would be sweet for people like me. In my country, even the fall detection feature doesn't work.

Reactions: snipr125

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How does an AW SE lower the brand? Right now, Apple already has an AW for just $199. The SE will be an update for the aging S3. A lot of the sensors like ECG are useless in many countries as they are non-functional. If Apple can make a $199 S4 by removing some sensors that doesn't work in all markets, it would be sweet for people like me. In my country, even the fall detection feature doesn't work.

so you understand my point. ECG is not regulated or allowed for use in many countries - it doesn’t mean that’s a permanent condition. So why create a new hardware JUST to be cheaper when a model WITH existing features and hardware capabilities already exists?!

- increased R&D for yet a new production lineup.
- increased shipping costs and logistics for supply chain and deliveries.
- increased analysis internally for another product which duplicates what’s already supplying the need for the same market segment.

the existing $199 already works for you. Eventually depending on deals and internal health bureaus of your country and with Apple to come together, said features will be available. You’d kick yourself in 2yrs to find out it’s enabled as rarely Watch buyers buy or should by new every iteration since S3.

by your statement ‘it would be sweet for people like me’ why would Apple have to remove features for the S4 to be cheaper and create a new product with the associated costs to bring it to makret? One already exists with the features which they can offer at a cheaper price. Heck they can do this even with refurbishing existing S4’s ;)

the Watch was to bring features not remove them. Creating a new one to remove basically creates the mindset for users still not tech savvy wanting a watch to compare the $199 (hypothetical Watch SE price) to a Fitbit at $179 doing the same things - even with blood oxygen measurement n sleep tracking. The difference is more compatible with Android devices than Watch is. This is another area where it lessens the brand. Watch can and could be a halo affect leading to an iOS purchase for a potential non Apple buyer.

lots of pints of my views provided. Their not right nor wrong hat points of view/perception.

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
so you understand my point. ECG is not regulated or allowed for use in many countries - it doesn’t mean that’s a permanent condition. So why create a new hardware JUST to be cheaper when a model WITH existing features and hardware capabilities already exists?!

- increased R&D for yet a new production lineup.
- increased shipping costs and logistics for supply chain and deliveries.
- increased analysis internally for another product which duplicates what’s already supplying the need for the same market segment.

the existing $199 already works for you. Eventually depending on deals and internal health bureaus of your country and with Apple to come together, said features will be available. You’d kick yourself in 2yrs to find out it’s enabled as rarely Watch buyers buy or should by new every iteration since S3.

by your statement ‘it would be sweet for people like me’ why would Apple have to remove features for the S4 to be cheaper and create a new product with the associated costs to bring it to makret? One already exists with the features which they can offer at a cheaper price. Heck they can do this even with refurbishing existing S4’s ;)

the Watch was to bring features not remove them. Creating a new one to remove basically creates the mindset for users still not tech savvy wanting a watch to compare the $199 (hypothetical Watch SE price) to a Fitbit at $179 doing the same things - even with blood oxygen measurement n sleep tracking. The difference is more compatible with Android devices than Watch is. This is another area where it lessens the brand. Watch can and could be a halo affect leading to an iOS purchase for a potential non Apple buyer.

lots of pints of my views provided. Their not right nor wrong hat points of view/perception.
Maybe because Apple cannot just sell the current S4 at $199 without losing money? Over the S3, it will still have larger screen and faster hardware, along with longer WatchOS support.

Reactions: snipr125

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Maybe because Apple cannot just sell the current S4 at $199 without losing money? Over the S3, it will still have larger screen and faster hardware, along with longer WatchOS support.

im a bit confused what you’re saying.
Loosing money - they’ll have more users for ecosystem - great for developers and everyone eventually upgrades. The product looses money for Apple once it’s replacement debuted. S4 has a slimmer case than the S3 but for users looking for a budget Apple Watch it won’t matter much. Faster cpu than S3 yes, yet again - budget buyers will barely notice since most will be first time buyers or only casual users of everything the Watch offers. It’s like a dealers freebie narcotic to get you hooked due to very low pricing - not so much the high quality and top wanted things of any said product.

try not to confuse the specific target market a low cost low budget Apple Watch would attract. Besides AppleCare+ will return their revenue/profits.

neuroleone

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2006
Mumbai,India
Around Apple Watch will not be happening anytime soon. Apple already has a hard enough time getting developers to develop for the regular Apple Watch, imagine asking all of them to make two different versions of their applications, one for round screens, and one for square screens. That would be absolutely ridiculous. On top of that, it would require Apple to start developing two versions of the watchOS, one for Square, and one for round. This isn’t a situation where it’s just different screen resolutions, these would be completely different operating systems.

Other hints include the options to choose between circle and rectangular designs for newer watch faces. So they might have been planning this for a while.

Just a theory though, let’s see what happens on Tuesday.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Looking forward to the event, although none of the products really interest me. Got an iPad Pro this spring and my AW4 does all I need.

This year is all about that 5.4” iPhone 12!

ntlman

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2005
Did anyone else roll their eyes at the Apple One offering? Apple TV+ and AppleNews have both been duds. Admittedly, in a world of cheap SD cards, I don't really understand the point of cloud storage. And Apple Arcade seems precarious, given they are alienating a large segment of gamers with the Fortnite fiasco.

I just don't know who the Apple user is that is going to pay for that bundle and why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.