Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Multiple rumors are converging upon the possibility that at least two models in Apple's upcoming iPhone 12 lineup will feature faster 120 Hz displays.

iPhone-12-Purple.jpg

The rumors reach back to July 2019, when Notable Samsung leaker "Ice Universe" first suggested that 2020 iPhones could feature faster displays made by Samsung and LG that would allow for a smoother on-screen experience.

Also last year, DigiTimes linked the then-nascent era of 5G with the wide adoption of higher refresh rate smartphone displays. The Taiwan industry publication based its prediction on the penetration rate of over-120Hz panels in the gaming notebook segment, which was prompting panel makers to step into the sector and develop panels with refresh rates ranging from 120 Hz to 240 Hz.

This year, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has suggested faster 120 Hz displays could be coming to two high-end iPhone 12 models, and over the weekend, Twitter leaker Max Weinbach suggested that the iPhone 12 Pro, which is expected to come in 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch sizes, will exclusively feature a high refresh-rate 120Hz display.

An increasing number of phones launched in the last 12 months have boasted panels with faster refresh rates than the standard 60 Hz panel, which remains a holdover from traditional CRT displays that required the refresh rate to match the power supply frequency and thereby avoid potential interference.

Apple already uses proprietary variable refresh rate technology in its iPad Pro models under the moniker "ProMotion," which dynamically adjusts the display to the movement of content for fluid scrolling, greater responsiveness, and smoother motion.

The iPad Pro's display refresh rate changes on the fly depending on what's being viewed, which conserves battery life. If you're watching a movie or playing a game, for example, the refresh rate is at 120 Hz, but if you're reading a web page or looking at a photo, you don't need a 120 Hz refresh rate, so it adjusts accordingly. This adaptivity means the refresh rate also matches the viewed content more precisely, eliminating judder and distortion.

Of course, Apple's ?iPad Pro? models use LCD panels rather than OLED, and rumors have suggested Apple will complete its transition to an all-OLED iPhone lineup in 2020 with new 5.4-inch, (two) 6.1-inch, and 6.7-inch models, so this would be the first time we have seen ProMotion tech in an OLED panel.

The implications for the iPhone viewing experience are hard to overstate. Current pixel resolutions as high as they are, doubling the refresh rate would bring a whole new fluidity and realism to viewed content. In that sense, combined with HDR10 support and a wide color gamut, Apple's wider adoption of 120 Hz ProMotion tech could do for OLED iPhones what the company's Retina Displays achieved for LCD iPhones in 2010.

Article Link: What to Expect for iPhone 12 Models Featuring a 120 Hz ProMotion Display

jcswim312

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
I'm definitely planning on getting the iPhone 12!

I have the iPhone XS - I skipped the iPhone 11 Pro to hold out for the 5G iPhone

Some of my friends have the iPhone 11 Pro & they said the camera is amazing so I'm looking forward to the camera improvements in the 12 Pro!

Reactions: tyasjs
Comment

Seanm87

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Sounds good but the pro models are too expensive for me. Hopefully it will eventually filter down to the cheaper models.
[automerge]1589192702[/automerge]
I hope they add the 1hz refresh from the Apple Watch display.

You want an always on display?

Reactions: GrumpyMom
Comment

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
So all this cool features are reserved for the larger Pro models?
And why is Tim forcing me to carry an "adult toy" sized phone in my pocket? Why can’t we keep the 5.8 size?

Why don't you just quit Apple? All of your 'contributions' to the forum are nothing but Tim Cook/Apple bashing posts and threats to leave anyway so you may as well just pull the trigger now. (And no one is 'forcing' you to carry anything. If you buy the new Pro it's your choice.)

Last edited:
Comment

Skeith

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I hope this is real. But Apple needs a reason for this to be a thing, and not just chasing after the market.

And Apple needs to come up with a crazy name for this feature.

Comment

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Can anyone speculate the cost? I would think it’s gonna go up.

Maybe another 100-200 more for the higher end model.

my guess is 1249 for the base model 6.1 64GB

Reactions: AlexGraphicD
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I hope this is real. But Apple needs a reason for this to be a thing, and not just chasing after the market.

And Apple needs to come up with a crazy name for this feature.

No, Apple doesn’t need to come up with a ‘crazy name’, if they continue to use the ‘Promotion‘ moniker as it stands with the iPad Pro, it make more sense to keep that same marketing name for the iPhone, as users will make sense of what it is for those who have the iPad Pro. What Apple probably should focus on, is how do they market Promotion for the iPhone that would entice average consumers to want to upgrade when they see this new display technology. It’s a significant factor in terms of a viewing experience for the display, but they need to sell this feature, which their marketing typically has always been very unique.

Reactions: Skeith
Comment

Austin Chow

Suspended
Oct 10, 2019
San Francisco
So all this cool features are reserved for the larger Pro models?
And why is Tim forcing me to carry an "adult toy" sized phone in my pocket? Why can’t we keep the 5.8 size?

because the 5.8" is just too small for media consumption. Your eyes literally need to squint to read the text, and movies and games are just downright pathetic at a screen this small. The current 6.5" (and upcoming future 6.7") are the minimum comfortable screen size for content consumption.

And ProMotion definitely should be exclusive to the larger Pro models. Not 5.8"/5.4" mid-tier iPhones (which are a tier down from the large Pro models)

Comment

adamw

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
Always good to hear about faster refresh rate display panels. Will be likely limited to only a few higher end models. But nice to have that option available for users who want or need it.

Comment

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
No, Apple doesn’t need to come up with a ‘crazy name’, if they continue to use the ‘Promotion‘ moniker as it stands with the iPad Pro, it make more sense to keep that same marketing name for the iPhone, as users will make sense of what it is for those who have the iPad Pro. What Apple probably should focus on, is how do they market Promotion for the iPhone that would entice average consumers to want to upgrade when they see this new display technology. It’s a significant factor in terms of a viewing experience for the display, but they need to sell this feature, which their marketing typically has always been very unique.
At the very least, they need to capitalize that M. "ProMotion" is much clearer, IMO.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I expect nothing but higher prices, and of course, to skip it...

The 5.8” has consistently been $999 with the 6.5” consistently at $1099 so I imagine them going up to 6.1” and 6.7” would warrant a price increase especially with all the new features.

It could really go either way. They can afford to keep prices the same, especially because of people’s current financial situation.

But they might want to recoup more money and thus increase the price a bit. I guess we’ll see.

Comment

Joosst

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Amsterdam
If you're watching a movie or playing a game, for example, the refresh rate is at 120 Hz, but if you're reading a web page or looking at a photo, you don't need a 120 Hz refresh rate, so it adjusts accordingly.

Is this correct? I don’t think so. I would say: watching a movie at 25fps doesn’t require a 120hz framerate. Scrolling through a website at 120hz does make sense, as it would make the scrolling much smoother. So, isn’t it precisely the opposite?

Comment

Austin Chow

Suspended
Oct 10, 2019
San Francisco
Would it be possible that 120Hz is to be announced at WWDC? Developers can adjust to it, but I’m not sure
No way. Apple wouldn't give away details/hints of unreleased products. Anyways devs can already adjust it for ProMotion in iPad Pros, ProMotion already exists

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.