Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

2024 is going to start off strong with the launch of the Vision Pro, Apple's first major new product since the 2015 Apple Watch, and new iPads, Macs, AirPods, and iPhones are set to follow.

There are some exciting products in the works, including a larger version of the iPad Air, the first OLED iPad Pro, updated iPhones, an Apple Watch with new health features, and more. In this guide, we've outlined everything that we know about the new products that are coming from Apple in 2024, based on current rumors.

Apple Vision Pro (February 2024)

Apple announced the Vision Pro headset at WWDC in June 2023, but it's finally almost ready to launch. Apple introduced the Vision Pro early to give developers time to create apps for the device, and since then, Apple has been working on finalizing the hardware and the visionOS operating system. The most recent rumors have suggested Apple will debut the Vision Pro in February.

Vision-Pro-Person.jpg

At launch, the Vision Pro is only going to be available in the United States, and it sounds like Apple may require customers to purchase in store or pick up online orders in a store in order for Apple employees to provide the right Light Seal and knitted headband for a good fit, plus Zeiss prescription lens inserts for those who need them.

The headset is similar to other virtual reality headsets like the Oculus, though it is made from glass and aluminum for a premium feel. Some early testers have said that the headset can be heavy on the head, but Apple may introduce an extra strap to mitigate some of the weight. The Vision Pro is using two 4K micro-OLED displays, and the technology is both more advanced and more expensive than the displays used by Apple's competitors.

Apple is not expecting to sell many Vision Pro headsets, and rumors suggest it'll manufacture around 400,000 units. At a $3,500 price point, it's not too surprising that interest may be limited.

The Vision Pro headset is a mixed reality device that transitions between virtual and augmented reality using a Digital Crown on the side. Content can be displayed in a full virtual environment, or in the real world around you using the augmented reality capabilities.

There are more than a dozen cameras in the Vision Pro headset, and it's controlled using subtle hand gestures and eye movements. Audio Straps provide spatial audio, and there's a somewhat weird external display that projects an image of your eyes so people can tell whether you're using the headset in VR or AR mode.

While the headset isn't particularly affordable for most people, it's an exciting launch because it's using cutting-edge technology and it is an entirely new device that's going to evolve and become sleeker and more affordable over the next decade. The Vision Pro has been likened to the Apple Watch, which was also expensive and clunky when it launched, but Apple made updates at a rapid pace and by the third generation, it was much improved.

Much more information about the Vision Pro can be found in our Vision Pro roundup, and we also have details on visionOS in that roundup.

OLED iPad Pro (March 2024)

Apple didn't update the iPad lineup in 2023, but 2024 will be the year of the iPad. The iPad Pro models are set to get upgraded OLED displays for the first time, so iPad Pro screens will be as impressive as iPhone screens.

OLED-iPad-Air.jpg

This will be the first time that Apple has used OLED for such a large display, and OLED technology will bring deeper blacks, faster refresh rates, better contrast, and improved efficiency for less battery drain.

OLED displays are thinner, so Apple may be planning to cut down on the thickness of the iPad Pro. A design update is expected to accompany the OLED transition, and the new iPads will come in 11.1-inch and 13-inch sizes, up from the current 11-inch and 12.9-inch sizes. The size increase may come from a change in bezel width, so physical size could remain roughly the same.

The iPad Pro models will adopt the faster M3 chip that was first introduced in the MacBook Pro and iMac. Built on a 3-nanometer process, the M3 offers up to 21 percent faster CPU speeds compared to the M2, and 15 percent faster GPU speeds. The GPU is also using a new architecture that optimizes memory allocation and utilization for improved performance and efficiency, plus it includes hardware-accelerated ray tracing and mesh shading.

GPU improvements will result in better gaming graphics and capabilities, plus the iPad Pro will be more efficient at tasks like video editing.

Other possible features include up to 4TB of storage, MagSafe charging capabilities, and a higher price tag due to the OLED display technology. More on what we are expecting from the iPad Pro can be found in our dedicated OLED iPad Pro guide.

Two iPad Air Models (March 2024)

To offer consumers more choice at a variety of price points, Apple is expanding the iPad Air lineup in 2024. For the first time, there will be two iPad Air models, just like there are two iPad Pro models.

iPad-Air-12.9-Inch-Feature.jpg

Sizes will be similar to the iPad Pro, coming in at 10.9 inches and 12.9 inches. The iPad Air models won't have OLED displays, ProMotion, or other high-end iPad features, but they will be cheaper than the iPad Pro models.

Since Apple updated the design of the iPad Air in 2021, we're not expecting a major overhaul to the look of the device, but it's possible there will be some refinements to accommodate the new screen size.

iOS 18 (June 2024)

Apple introduces new software updates on an annual basis at its Worldwide Developers Conference, and this year, we're expecting iOS 18. iOS 18 should be one of the most inter... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: What to Expect From Apple in 2024: Vision Pro, iPhone 16 Models, Revamped iPad Pro and More

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Missing MacBook Air (upgrades with M3) in March 2024, no?
Yeah, they missed that given it was discussed in an earlier article.

I do find it hard to believe they will wait until next autumn to address the entry level iPad. That would make the iPad 9 three years old and the 10 would be two years old.

macqintosh

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Hmmm, when they introduced the M SOC I thought the update cycle of the Macs would improve due to the fact that Apple won't have to wait for Intel anymore... However, it still sucks, iMac had to wait 2 years for example. Other Macs also receive updates very slow.

iMac 914 days
Mac Pro 1273 days
Mac Studio 454 days
Mac Mini 798 days
MBA 13 539 days

Only the MBP's get a regular update. So Apple, get your **** together and make that every Mac gets its update yearly and streamline it so every Mac has the same iteration (Mx) There are 6 line ups so every two months you update one of them. At the end of the year all Macs have the same Mx SOC inside.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Hmmm, when they introduced the M SOC I thought the update cycle of the Macs would improve due to the fact that Apple won't have to wait for Intel anymore... However, it still sucks, iMac had to wait 2 years for example. Other Macs also receive updates very slow.

iMac 914 days
Mac Pro 1273 days
Mac Studio 454 days
Mac Mini 798 days
MBA 13 539 days

Only the MBP's get a regular update. So Apple, get your **** together and make that every Mac gets its update yearly and streamline it so every Mac has the same iteration (Mx) There are 6 line ups so every two months you update one of them. At the end of the year all Macs have the same Mx SOC inside.

The staggered release schedule is by design. Easier on supply chains, more efficient to manage business-wise, and makes better sense financially if your market is buying multiple products.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
A minor upgrade from the A15 to the A16 for the next Apple TV 4K and iPad mini doesn’t seem worth it for Apple. I think an upgrade to the A17 Pro or regular A18 is more likely. For the Apple TV 4K, the A17 Pro would allow console gaming. Of course, Apple may have to include a fan again to keep it from overheating. Then again, the A17 Pro may remain limited to the 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max since it’s being manufactured on the N3B node process which will be discontinued as soon as 15 Pro/Pro Max manufacturing ends. If that’s the case, then the A18 becomes the more likely candidate.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
How likely will new Mac be released in January rather than in March?
Probably similar odds, 2023 was an odd year for Apple announcements. Seemed like they held their breath to WWDC then nothing other than iPhones in Sept. Aside from the Visio Pro these mentioned are just speculative guesses to when you might have products. Oh to have a better rumor mill like the old days. :)

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Should be a wild year — a lot happening fairly evenly spaced throughout. I’m most excited for Vision Pro, but the iPad lineup looks like it might be revamped which could bring some unexpected surprises. WWDC will be the biggest unknown — I don’t think there will be any leaks on their software announcements. Not sure if we see an iPhone SE this year or next. Will be see a larger screen iMac? Will Watch X be a 2024 device?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I do find it hard to believe they will wait until next autumn to address the entry level iPad. That would make the iPad 9 three years old and the 10 would be two years old.
IPad mini 5 took 3.5 years.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
IPad mini 5 took 3.5 years.
I don't think you can use that time gap between the mini 4 and mini 5 as a norm now.

4th - September 9, 2015
5th - March 18, 2019
6th - September 14, 2021

We were expecting Mini 7 this last Oct, but more likely it will arrive Jan thru March 2024. There are several updates it could get to modernize it more.

Reactions: Stenik

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016

iMac 914 days
Mac Pro 1273 days
Mac Studio 454 days
Mac Mini 798 days
MBA 13 539 days

Apple said nothing about their Mac upgrade schedule becoming more frequent.
But looking at every other Apple Silicon device before the Mac, outside of the iPhone, they were never yearly.

The iPad Pro for example, it’s A-X processors were the M series before that even existed, and they were never yearly.
they were more like once every 18 months or so, sometimes longer.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I don't think you can use that time gap between the mini 4 and mini 5 as a norm now.
Not as a norm, but as a possibility in line with past occurrences.

We were expecting Mini 7 this last Oct, but more likely it will arrive Jan thru March 2024.
I see no indication of that being likely. Last rumors pointed to later in the year:

Last edited:
Reactions: Stenik

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Not as a norm, but as a possibility in line with past occurrences.

I see no indication of that being likely. Last rumors pointed to later in the year:
Mark Gurman isn't right a lot of the time. I see no need too have larger Airs for example, to confuse people with iPad Pro purchases. The large the iPad is the harder it is for students to carry and use them as an example. You really ask yourself why do I bother to buy a IPad after a certain size point vs a M2/M3 based laptop. ;)

Reactions: u+ive

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Mark Gurman isn't right a lot of the time. I see no need too have larger Airs for example, to confuse people with iPad Pro purchases. The large the iPad is the harder it is for students to carry and use them as an example. You really ask yourself why do I bother to buy a IPad after a certain size point vs a M2/M3 based laptop.
At that point you’re just speculating on personal opinion though without any actual source. I think a larger Air is plausible, especially if they are going to raise prices for the OLED Pros. And iPads are a fundamentally different device category from laptops, they don’t compete a lot with each other. But that’s neither here nor there regarding the regular iPad release cadence. The new iPad Pros (likely also with new Magic Keyboard and Pencil 3) and Airs are currently rumored for March/April, and I think that’s plenty to relegate the remaining iPads to later in the year.

bkendig

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2019
I'd really like to replace my Intel Mac mini with an Apple Silicon model, but I'll wait until M3 models are available. It just doesn't make sense to get a model with an M2 chip that's already a year and a half old at this point, especially as M3 has already been around for a quarter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.