What to Expect From the 2019 iPhones: Hands-On With Dummy Models

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
if the "bump" color is the same as the phone it's one thing. if they make it black, like most renderings show - it's ugly af.
I don’t mind the black version either.

One looks like an Apple Watch the other like a 1960s camera.

I will wait to see what apple releases in September. , the actual fit and finish is usually above what we see in the renders. Here is an example:

People called the iPhone X, ugly af.
They were wrong, sales proved it.

Reactions: spinedoc77

alexandr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
alexanderkaplan.com

I will wait to see what apple releases in September. , the actual fit and finish is usually above what we see in the renders. Here is an example:

it's all a matter of taste, but imho the new bump looks hideous. it actually looks better on the max version - on the regular one it's too big. whatever. i'm good until 2020 anyway.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
it's all a matter of taste, but imho the new bump looks hideous. it actually looks better on the max version - on the regular one it's too big. whatever. i'm good until 2020 anyway.
Thats fine.
I have an Xs Max, will decide at the event in September. But will probably be getting it.

It’s fortunate for you that your not interested in this years iPhone, if your good until 2020.

alexandr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
alexanderkaplan.com
Thats fine.
I have an Xs Max, will decide at the event in September. But will probably be getting it.

It’s fortunate for you that your not interested in this years iPhone, if your good until 2020.
i have the xs, and as much as i love upgrading to every new model, there are certain ones that i skipped without any regret) and from what i'm seeing about this year's model so far, it's probably going to be another skip for me)

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
i have the xs, and as much as i love upgrading to every new model, there are certain ones that i skipped without any regret) and from what i'm seeing about this year's model so far, it's probably going to be another skip for me)
It happens.
The xs/Max is a great device and there is no need to upgrade. September is almost a month away anyway. Hope there’s is a new Color this year.

Regardless, don’t think the 2019 iPhones were meant for us.

alexandr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
alexanderkaplan.com
It happens.
The xs/Max is a great device and there is no need to upgrade. September is almost a month away anyway. Hope there’s is a new Color this year.

Regardless, don’t think the 2019 iPhones were meant for us.
a new color might be nice. or if they could make the gold be more like the 8/8plus - i find it more attractive than the xs version...
yea, my wife will be happy if i don't upgrade - she frowns upon my obsession with upgrading)

it probably wasn't, although since it's not an "s" upgrade, imho it should appeal to everyone) if it's a good phone of course...

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
a new color might be nice. or if they could make the gold be more like the 8/8plus - i find it more attractive than the xs version...
yea, my wife will be happy if i don't upgrade - she frowns upon my obsession with upgrading)

it probably wasn't, although since it's not an "s" upgrade, imho it should appeal to everyone) if it's a good phone of course...
I actually have the gold Xs Max , I love the color and the luminescent effect on the rear glass, I have the gold Apple Watch s4 to match.

didn’t like the gold on the iPhone 8 Plus, so I got that in frost white.

Don’t know how many iPhone users would spend over 1k on the Xs or xs max and be willing to do it again the following year., other than me.

The iPhone 11 would appeal more to someone coming from a 6s, 7, or 8 than someone with an Xs or Xs Max. Even the iPhone X users would find it more appealing than the average consumer that just picked up an Xs or Xs max.

To us something as simple as the camera arrangement, a new color, iPhone 11
Only feature might sway us.

Different strokes for different folks.

alexandr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
alexanderkaplan.com
I actually have the gold Xs Max , I love the color and the luminescent effect on the rear glass, I have the gold Apple Watch s4 to match.

didn’t like the gold on the iPhone 8 Plus, so I got that in frost white.

Don’t know how many iPhone users would spend over 1k on the Xs or xs max and be willing to do it again the following year., other than me.

The iPhone 11 would appeal more to someone coming from a 6s, 7, or 8 than someone with an Xs or Xs Max. Even the iPhone X users would find it more appealing than the average consumer that just picked up an Xs or Xs max.

To us something as simple as the camera arrangement, a new color, iPhone 11
Only feature might sway us.

Different strokes for different folks.
yes, i got the gold too, but i mostly have a case on it anyway... love the gold hardware, but not in love with the gold glass look, but i'm glad you are - clearly it's all a matter of preference)

i actually haven't heard anything about a new color except for the r version. but i haven't been following the color rumors so much...

yea, when i was buying the xs i had some second thoughts about waiting until 2019, but now i(think) am very glad that i didn't.

sure, for me the second sim option was a big selling point, but so far i haven't heard about any improvements sans the camera... we'll see! :)

Haziza

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Sweden
Looks hideous!
I really wanted to upgrade from my 7+ but i won't pay premium for this sorry Apple.

Nokia 9 Pureview suddenly feels like a steal! Decisions decisions..

Last edited:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
yes, i got the gold too, but i mostly have a case on it anyway... love the gold hardware, but not in love with the gold glass look, but i'm glad you are - clearly it's all a matter of preference)

i actually haven't heard anything about a new color except for the r version. but i haven't been following the color rumors so much...

yea, when i was buying the xs i had some second thoughts about waiting until 2019, but now i(think) am very glad that i didn't.

sure, for me the second sim option was a big selling point, but so far i haven't heard about any improvements sans the camera... we'll see! :)
Didn’t think I would, initially I was using the space gray, switched about 3 weeks after launch to the gold, no regrets. Different strokes for different folks.

Ios 13 was on lockdown until the keynote, everyone assumed it was going to be a minimal update due to a scarcity of leaks surrounding it this year. They were all wrong.

It happens. No second thoughts here, I usually know after the event, life is to short to regret something as small a smartphone purchase.

There is a new iPhone only feature every year, apple doesn’t disappoint.....Except on their high prices

alexandr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
alexanderkaplan.com
Didn’t think I would, initially I was using the space gray, switched about 3 weeks after launch to the gold, no regrets. Different strokes for different folks.

Ios 13 was on lockdown until the keynote, everyone assumed it was going to be a minimal update due to a scarcity of leaks surrounding it this year. They were all wrong.

It happens. No second thoughts here, I usually know after the event, life is to short to regret something as small a smartphone purchase.

There is a new iPhone only feature every year, apple doesn’t disappoint.....Except on their high prices
i got the 6 in space gray after having a gold 5s and i at this point i've stuck to gold) although the space gray x/xs is quite lovely too.

sure, the question is whether or not one cares about that year's feature/s.

let's see what the future holds for us :)

Reactions: FFR

Bryan839

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
UK
Sure you’re. You know damn well you are going to stay up until 3am EST to preorder. That’s what most do. Complain, complain, and complain some more, yet they still have the urge and need to buy the newest and latest phone. This is why Apple shouldn’t change anything.
Haha true! But I’ve never said this about an iPhone before, the updates have been decent, but I’ve got to a point where I do expect more from a yearly upgrade cycle than what their giving.

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009

Yep, personally I thought the X was awesome looking, easily the best looking iphone ever at its release. Even the notch that everyone cried about coupled with the small bezels was ahead of everyone else and is just being caught up to.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Yep, personally I thought the X was awesome looking, easily the best looking iphone ever at its release. Even the notch that everyone cried about coupled with the small bezels was ahead of everyone else and is just being caught up to.
I did too, just wanted the max back in 2017.

I think when people saw the price and the notch, they just lost it.
And others, their android brand of the month had nothing to come close to the iPhone X, soo...

September is almost a month away. :)

Reactions: spinedoc77

killhippie

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I guess you are going to have to come to peace with it some other way at this point.
Not really I’m not updating this year or next year I’ll wait for revision two of a new design if the hopes for new iPhone with usb-c and 5g comes next year, never buy revision one one of a new design it will have issues, and by then they might of got rid of the square camera. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Wrong. These changes are meaningless and effect absolutely no one. You only care because you're told to care.
That's flatly incorrect. Design and aesthetics are paramount considerations for many people. I care about the design of every product I purchase, and I care deeply about the design of personal accessories that I use daily. If the changes are meaningless to you, fine. But design as an area of study generally wouldn't exist if such issues were meaningless generally.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
That's flatly incorrect. Design and aesthetics are paramount considerations for many people. I care about the design of every product I purchase, and I care deeply about the design of personal accessories that I use daily. If the changes are meaningless to you, fine. But design as an area of study generally wouldn't exist if such issues were meaningless generally.
You don't care about it nearly enough if you can't comprehend the significance of what you're looking at.

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
You don't care about it nearly enough if you can't comprehend the significance of what you're looking at.
I know exactly what I'm looking at and don't need to defend that to someone who thinks design is "meaningless," so I'm done with this conversation.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
I know exactly what I'm looking at and don't need to defend that to someone who thinks design is "meaningless," so I'm done with this conversation.
You haven't demonstrated the slightest understanding of what design really is.

What you've demonstrated is very predictable banter vaguely related to aesthetics, but in no way approaching anything resembling design.