Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over 800 days have passed since Apple last updated the iPad mini, as outlined in the MacRumors Buyer's Guide. Fortunately, a new iPad mini is rumored to be released next year, and we have outlined what to expect from the device below.

ipad-mini-2021-youtube.jpeg

Apple released the current iPad mini in September 2021, with new features at the time including a larger 8.3-inch display, a USB-C port, a Touch ID power button, the A15 Bionic chip, 5G support on cellular models, a 12-megapixel rear camera with Center Stage support, compatibility with the second-generation Apple Pencil, and more.

Launch Timing

Apple is aiming to begin mass production of the seventh-generation iPad mini at some point in the second half of 2024, according to supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, meaning the device would be manufactured in July or later. Apple rarely announces new products in July or August, so the next iPad mini will most likely be unveiled in September or October next year based on the rumored production timeframe.

Expected Features

• As part of a routine spec bump, the next iPad mini will likely be equipped with a faster A16 Bionic chip at a minimum.
  • Upgraded front and rear cameras are rumored for the new iPad mini. The current model has a 12-megapixel rear camera with an ƒ/1.8 aperture and a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide front camera with an ƒ/2.4 aperture.
  • New color options are rumored for the new iPad mini. The current ‌model is available in Space Gray, Starlight, Pink, and Purple.
  • It is likely that the next iPad mini will support Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3, enabling faster Wi-Fi speeds with a supported router, and improved Bluetooth connectivity. Apple already added Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 support to the latest iPad Pro, iPhone 15 Pro models, and most new Macs.
  • The new iPad mini is rumored to have a rotated screen assembly to reduce the effect of "jelly scrolling" screen tearing in portrait orientation. This visual effect can cause text or images on one side of the screen to appear to be tilted downwards because of a mismatch in refresh rates.
Read our iPad mini roundup for more details.

Article Link: What to Expect From the iPad Mini 7 Later in 2024

Last edited:

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I recently got one, I like it and don’t like it. The display is not good and overall lower quality than my iPhone. I imagine this more of a media consumption device. So they should improve on those and the speakers next.

I enjoy the size though. I also don’t like having to handle multiple iPads though.

God I wish it has Face ID. Please add MagSafe 3, I have way too much products to charge lol

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
so jelly in landscape then.
Noooooo... I mainly use mine in landscape...

But at least the Jelly has a shorter distance to travel before dropping off the edge of the iPad. The key thing is, don't scroll while the jelly is sliding. Otherwise, you get jelly scrolling.

Reactions: lostPod

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
The iPad Mini 6 IMO has the worst retina display on any iPad I have ever used, as it was instant headache for me when viewing it. Its prdecessor’s (Mini 5) display looks much better. Other than that, the Mini 6 is a well designed tablet. Hopefully, they fix the display on the Mini 7.

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
To buy a IPad mini (which comes w/ configuration in EU above 1000€) and STILL display problems? Nope...

This device is clearly a media device. A good screen is there a "must be".

And STILL no phone calls with that 5G modem... nope, nope, nope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.