Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
All 2024 iPads should at minimum have support for external displays and stage manager. This has been an iPad feature for over a year now, it should come to the rest of the lineup.

With that said, I've been really wanting an iPad mini as long as I can connect it to my desk setup and use it like an M1 iPad. I might make that my main device and sell my MacBook. Or even better if a future iPhone gets this capability instead. I'd much rather have one device than two.
Pull the trigger on the next mini, don't even worry. I'd say get this one, but if You haven't yet you probably won't. My comment earlier in the thread, I think I've been using it how you want to use it. https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ad-mini-7-later-in-2024.2411934/post-32750548

I gave stage manager a whirl on other devices, I don't use it. I'm sure it's fine, but it'll probably just be one of those features that gets a little more relegated with each future release.

And yes, our phones should be our computers! 🙌 It's greedy and wasteful that this is not a thing... I don't think I have to spell out all the ways this could be done with existing peripherals, and new kinds of docking setups for more power... but it's fun to think about!

Like a Macbook with an iphone sized cutout where the trackpad should be.
You place your phone in and gently press it down... In a split second as the surface of the screen comes flush with that of the laptop, the chamfer is met by a silicon seal that gently hugs it in place. An unseen USB-C slides into your phone and it sends back a haptic flush of satisfaction. You've pushed the button. The
on button. Your phone is gone, a trackpad remains. Before you've lifted your finger the chime sounds and the screen comes to life on your iPhonebookAir (still workingshoping the imaginary name).

Last edited:

JeanInTN

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2023
september 24? nooo. I hope this is not true and they release it early 2024 as it was rumored previously
Me, too. I'm still struggling with an iPad mini 2! By the time I was ready to upgrade the mini 6 was the current model but I was - and still am - concerned about the jelly scroll issue. So I've been waiting on the mini 7! PLEASE don't make me wait another year! The mini 2 is stuck on iOS 12 and is loading fewer and fewer web pages correctly. I like using something bigger than my phone when I travel, and the mini is much more convenient than a laptop. Plus the mini is the perfect size if I want to look at something while lying in bed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.