Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
If they bring back the silver color and give it 3.45 GHz n77 support, I’m definitely getting one. Hopefully they go with the A17 if not the M1 or M2.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Wow. Sept/Oct of 2024? That’ll be 3 whole years since the last update. This better be a MAJOR bump or I’m gonna be…
4D38670F-CEFE-4B3B-A219-4CAA14C43AE2.gif

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
iPad Mini 6 user.

I bought a maxed out 5G model at launch. As well as the magnetic Apple case, and a pencil. They are all still in excellent condition after daily use. I take this thing everywhere and use it for everything (except taking photos/videos unless it’s already in my hand, that’s what my iPhone iCamera is for.)

In my opinion, this was a pro machine at inception that was downgraded to hit a price point. But the pro still comes through in places. Design being an indicator. The Mini 6 was one of the first (the first?) non pro iPad to get USB-C. Plus, the A15 Bionic is no slouch. https://cpu-benchmark.org/compare/apple-a15-bionic/apple-m1.

It could also still be in the roadmap as a pro device…? Waiting its turn for oled availability, and improved battery designs before receiving that moniker. Maybe they just needed to build up a large enough base of suckers like me to pay more for the next model, because I will. And I will explain…

(For me) the Mini 6 is a mobile content machine. Consuming and creating. I have one of those folding keyboards I use when I travel. But I rarely use it. The size of it and the onscreen keyboard make typing a breeze, and less cramped than a phone. Editing in CapCut is nicer on a larger screen and with a pencil, and I’m still palming a svelte device.

I think we are very much heading towards “The Expanse” in terms of how our personal tech will interact with the available screens in our lives. I don't use/praise the Mini 6 because it’s and iPad Mini. It’s just an awesome device and I see the future in it (as I’m sure many people do with various tech improving their lives)… my ”final device” is one that I can carry around everyday, has all the power and application functionality I could ask for, and connects to displays and peripherals.

An iPhone 15 has all the power the average user needs. Just double the storage and put a version of macOS on there that opens when you plug in a USB-C display. Just do it already.

This is why I will buy the next one at launch and hand this one down the line in my family. And plan to do so for the foreseeable future.

Add on edit…
It’s the size, power, and peripheral use triple-threat that I ”see the future” in. I have an 11” M2 pro as well, that gets a lot of desk use but stays at home or in the bag on the go.

Attachments

• IMG_7745.jpeg
    IMG_7745.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I bought a 256GB on launch , received it and wasn’t overly impressed for what I paid and what I got , and the jelly was the icing on the cake to return it.

If it still has a crappy 60hz screen I will most likely pass.

I will wait to see if lenovo makes a 2024 Legion Y700, if not il just buy the 2023 on discount!
I'd never heard of the Y700 so looked it up - impressive tablet. Do you know if it supports (and the games support) hooking up an XBox controller or PS controller?

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
OK im really confused here. For months on end, they were saying it was going to come out either this fall (not happening) or next Spring...

Now they are saying Summer/Fall? Iphone season cause i got to be honest with you, i Sold my Ipad mini based on the rumors on this site that the fall release was soon, it never happened, and im not going a whole other year without an ipad based off ever changing rumors like this.

Yes its on me i sold the mini...but i need to know if i buy another one soon will it last me a year or a few months?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
OK im really confused here. For months on end, they were saying it was going to come out either this fall (not happening) or next Spring...

Now they are saying Summer/Fall? Iphone season cause i got to be honest with you, i Sold my Ipad mini based on the rumors on this site that the fall release was soon, it never happened, and im not going a whole other year without an ipad based off ever changing rumors like this.

Yes its on me i sold the mini...but i need to know if i buy another one soon will it last me a year or a few months?
You went Full Rumor. NEVER go Full Rumor. 😂
4D46CB6C-1F49-449B-B1FB-717A4B6819BC.gif
Seriously tho…you basically have 2 choices. Wait … or rebuy the iPad mini 6 now. Nobody knows for sure when the mini 7 will be announced. Could be this Spring. Could be in the Fall. Rumors are all over the place. See how long you can go without an iPad mini. If you can’t, then buy the cheapest mini 6 you can find now (perhaps a refurbished one on Apple’s website)… and then trade it in when the new one comes out. 👍🏼

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
The iPad Mini 6 IMO has the worst retina display on any iPad I have ever used, as it was instant headache for me when viewing it. Its prdecessor’s (Mini 5) display looks much better. Other than that, the Mini 6 is a well designed tablet. Hopefully, they fix the display on the Mini 7.
The mini is, sadly, lower quality and lower specs compared to iPad Air and will always be a bit behind instead of just being a smaller iPad Air.

Since the next two models will most likely just be spec bumps, I also can't see the display being upgraded any time soon.

Apple always has to do the $/value ladder thing to push you to spend more, which means that display size and specs almost always scale down if you go for the device with a smaller footprint.

I wouldn't lose any sleep waiting for the next mini. It's just going to be a spec bump to bring it a bit closer to the current iPhone 15 and iPad Air specs. Not much else will improve.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Seems like a reasonable update. Personally I have to say I’m more excited about the next iPhone SE. Be nice if it got the A17 though as then it could run games like Resident Evil Village.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
I try to like my iPad mini, but the screen is terrible. It’s not because of the refresh rate - many people bash the base iPhone for not having 120hz, but they’re excellent displays, much better than mid-range android 120hz ones. However, when it comes to the iPad mini… color is off, brightness is low, scaling is simply bad and the controller is on the wrong side.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
I try to like my iPad mini, but the screen is terrible. It’s not because of the refresh rate - many people bash the base iPhone for not having 120hz, but they’re excellent displays, much better than mid-range android 120hz ones. However, when it comes to the iPad mini… color is off, brightness is low, scaling is simply bad and the controller is on the wrong side.
The format is almost perfect. I still dont get why they couldent move the volume buttons on the other side instead of the top, (i think thats to make room for the speakers if i recall) but if they just replaced the lousy LCD Screen with an OLED and gave us FaceID in the camera bezzle it would be an amazing device.

It just angers me that they dont do that. Thats a design issue not a tech issue. Its apples stubborness that holds it back!

Give me a M1 or M2 Ipad mini with OLED Screen with FaceID and it be a perfect device. The only way it could be more perfect if it was a foldable that when closed was an Iphone when open it was a Ipad Mini.

Apple has all the parts to build it. They just chose not too! Even if it got a price increase, the quality of the parts would be worth it!

Reactions: Greenmeenie

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Seems like a reasonable update. Personally I have to say I’m more excited about the next iPhone SE. Be nice if it got the A17 though as then it could run games like Resident Evil Village.

800 days for a newer chip (~2yrs next September), updated wifi options, new colours, rotated screen and camera? That's a very long time...

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
800 days for a newer chip (~2yrs next September), updated wifi options, new colours, rotated screen and camera? That's a very long time...

You do realise this is Apple right? Have you looked at their product line up and the updates they give them? It’s a perfectly normal update for Apple. Plus their isn‘t anything wrong with the iPad Minis design?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
You do realise this is Apple right? Have you looked at their product line up and the updates they give them? It’s a perfectly normal update for Apple. Plus their isn‘t anything wrong with the iPad Minis design?

Yes I am aware, it's one of the reasons I don't often get the iPad mini (and its price here is not great to be honest). The line is a mess.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the design; yet I know the product could be so much more.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Yes I am aware, it's one of the reasons I don't often get the iPad mini (and its price here is not great to be honest). The line is a mess.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the design; yet I know the product could be so much more.

Think of it like this, the current iPad Mini design is the first model with this design. So even though it’s 2 years old etc the actual design is still fresh. So all we can expect is a spec bump. OLED would be nice but I doubt it.

Reactions: ct2k7

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Think of it like this, the current iPad Mini design is the first model with this design. So even though it’s 2 years old etc the actual design is still fresh. So all we can expect is a spec bump. OLED would be nice but I doubt it.

Definitely agree that we should be seeing a spec bump: however I think a 2 yo SoC is a bit pallid - and again it's down clocked. The other thing I'd like to see is Touch ID replaced with Face ID on all iPads, but I don't see this happening.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Definitely agree that we should be seeing a spec bump: however I think a 2 yo SoC is a bit pallid - and again it's down clocked. The other thing I'd like to see is Touch ID replaced with Face ID on all iPads, but I don't see this happening.

Gotcha, yeah don’t know why they can’t engineer Face ID into it, bezels look to be the same as the Pro models, I think it’s just a way to differentiate the Pro iPads. They really should give it the A17 though, if not the A18, agree with that.

YonTom

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2019
Upgraded cameras, yes!! Because that’s all I use my iPad mini for, taking pictures. Please don’t bring me an XDR display, Face ID, or other things I would have no use for…

coplt

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2023
Totally get that I'm not the norm, but I'd happily fork out double for a better screen. I'm using ForeFlight, and many pilots can write off iPads as an expense. The other iPads are just oversized for cockpit use, and ForeFlight is a game-changer.

The issue? Cockpit glare is real, and 500 nits aren't enough.

Wish Apple would pay more attention to us niche users, but hey, one can dream! 😜

Reactions: YonTom and ct2k7

nyc1

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
Pathetic. No update in 3 years and that's all they can do? Come on! Better screen and SMALLER BEZELS please!
These big bezels don't scale down. Having the same size bezels as a larger iPad on a smaller form factor of the mini doesn't work. The screen should be maximized like on the iPhone. The side bezels on the 6th gen were increased compared to the side bezels on the 5th gen and screen width was reduced because of this. The iPad mini is my preferred iPad size from it's day 1, but historically has been the most neglected iPad in terms of updates and it's always lagging behind, but cost wise it's always been more than the regular base iPad. At this rate of an update every 3 years, no bezel decrease or maybe we'll get 1mm at a time, it will probably take 12 years to get the bezels reduced to a minimal size. With the premium Apple charges, just give people what want after a 3 year wait. So frustrating.

YonTom

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2019
Totally get that I'm not the norm, but I'd happily fork out double for a better screen. I'm using ForeFlight, and many pilots can write off iPads as an expense. The other iPads are just oversized for cockpit use, and ForeFlight is a game-changer.

The issue? Cockpit glare is real, and 500 nits aren't enough.

Wish Apple would pay more attention to us niche users, but hey, one can dream! 😜
Wow maybe not double (that puts us in iPad Pro 13” territory), but $800 for a pro version with XDR and say, M2/M3 processor? Hell yes

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
Some of yall need to stop acting/talking like device-spec and user-experience are the same thing.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
All 2024 iPads should at minimum have support for external displays and stage manager. This has been an iPad feature for over a year now, it should come to the rest of the lineup.

With that said, I've been really wanting an iPad mini as long as I can connect it to my desk setup and use it like an M1 iPad. I might make that my main device and sell my MacBook. Or even better if a future iPhone gets this capability instead. I'd much rather have one device than two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.