Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
How do I get access to the new Remote app? I assumed it would be installed with iOS 10 but no dice.

WiiDsmKR69

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
Installed it. First impression, very responsive and stable on the iPhone 6S Plus. Facebook WORKS. Pokemon GO seems to be unable to login, but I'm hoping that's due to a server overload on their part since everyone is trying to use it at first.

Haha ! Came here to find this.
The Pokemon Go servers have been up and down for the last 24 hours.

(New Zealander here)

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
This. The difference between iOS 9 beta 1 and iOS 10 beta 1, in my opinion, is light and day.
[doublepost=1467917029][/doublepost]

Some people are reporting that the latest Facebook update has fixed the crashing.

Shucks.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Haha ! Came here to find this.
The Pokemon Go servers have been up and down for the last 24 hours.

(New Zealander here)
I'm in Europe right with the US App Store, but I have yet to see a single Pokemon where I live, but the rock Gym is 3 steps from where I am currently residing. ;p
[doublepost=1467917719][/doublepost]
Is it actually available yet? It's not showing up for me on the Beta page (UK)
Purge your cache.

Reticuli

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2014
Northern Ireland
Not even remotely interested. I'll wait until GA at the earliest. Maybe even give it a few days after GA to see if any major bugs slipped in past them.

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland

Apple launched a public beta of iOS 10 today through its Beta Software Program. It is identical to the second developer build and provides non-developers with a chance to test the upcoming software version for the first time. But given the nature of pre-release software, is it safe to install the iOS 10 public beta on your device?

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that you use as your daily driver is your planned installation device, the short answer is no for most people. While the public beta is generally stable enough to use, dozens of popular apps such as Airbnb, Bank of America, Camera+, Facebook, and McDonald's have yet to be updated for iOS 10 and crash or have broken features as a result.

As to be expected from beta software, iOS 10 also has a number of reported bugs affecting CarPlay, Control Center, Notification Center, Messages, Music, and general system functionality. Many users, for example, have experienced audio pausing sporadically when using apps such as Music, Spotify, and Overcast.

Another aspect to consider is battery life. iOS 10 is pre-release software without the complete performance optimizations of a final build, so expect battery life to be worse than iOS 9 -- in some cases, much worse. The good news is that battery life appears to be improved in the second developer beta, which the public beta is based upon, and should steadily improve in subsequent betas.

If you have a secondary device to install iOS 10 beta on, upgrading is a safer bet. Installing iOS 10 beta allows you to test out most of the new features, such as the overhauled iMessages app, redesigned Apple Music experience, and Lock screen widgets, but there are some caveats to keep in mind before making the jump.

First, the new iMessage features cannot be used in conversations unless the recipient is also running iOS 10. If you send animations, stickers, or invisible ink to a device running iOS 9, for instance, the other person will not see any of those elements. Meanwhile, the iMessage App Store currently has only four sticker packs from Apple: Classic Mac, Hands, Hearts, and Smileys.

Third-party extensions for Apple Maps, such as those for making dinner reservations with OpenTable or requesting an Uber without leaving the app, are also unavailable since they cannot be released on the App Store right now.

Make sure to check out our iOS 10 roundup for a summary of new features and changes, and discuss with others in our iOS 10 discussion forum. We also have several iOS 10 walkthrough videos on our YouTube channel.

Article Link: What to Expect If You Want to Install iOS 10 Public Beta
Awesome video, by the way!

Reactions: arn

purfledspruce

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
Anyone know about watchOS 3? I got the iOS 10 beta and was hoping to get access to the watchOS 3, but the Watch App isn't finding new software available. This despite downloading the new profile and installing it on the watch and rebooting the watch.

I verified, the only profile shown in the Watch App is the beta watchOS3, but no new software available...I guess it's not released yet?

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
Everything looks okay, except this, it looks so faded

IMG_0958.JPG

Reactions: bbrks

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
iOS 10 hasn't been too bad for me. Beta 2 seems to have reduced the frequency of a few issues for me:

- Soft resets of phone happening less often (resets while using stock Apple apps (ie: Settings and Mail,) as well as third-party). Has only happened once so far since updating to Beta 2. With Beta 1, it was happening about 3-4 times a day.

- The screen rotation issue I was having has only happened once since updating to Beta 2. With Beta 1 it happened multiple times a day. This is an issue where I will pick the phone up off a surface, the screen would turn on, and for some reason, it would rotate into landscape mode, even though the phone was held in portrait mode. No amount of moving and physically rotating the phone would fix it, nor would toggling the screen rotation lock setting. Only a reboot of the phone would seem to correct it.

The above two could just be fortunate luck on my end, but it's possible Apple may be making progress on fixing them.

- Bluetooth issues while connected to my car's head unit appear to have been somewhat addressed. Increased handsfree volume issue is fixed, as well as the problem with song playback stuttering after finishing a handsfree phone call (requiring phone reboot and then unpair/repair to fix.) However, now, I have an issue where sometimes the head unit will lose its connection to the phone, and then immediately reconnect. I suspect possible Core Bluetooth stack related code in iOS crashing and restarting, but I haven't bothered to look at the logs in Xcode (not that important to me right now.)

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
more than 10 minutes and then failed :(
I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe a bad download, checksum didn't match probably. The servers are being hammered I would imagine. Try restarting and try again.
[doublepost=1467919347][/doublepost]
Anyone know about watchOS 3? I got the iOS 10 beta and was hoping to get access to the watchOS 3, but the Watch App isn't finding new software available. This despite downloading the new profile and installing it on the watch and rebooting the watch.

I verified, the only profile shown in the Watch App is the beta watchOS3, but no new software available...I guess it's not released yet?
There is no open beta for the watch. Sorry.

pbrandoj

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2016
Conway, Arkansas

There isn't a public beta for watchOS because there isn't a way to restore the device without sending it into apple for a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.