Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
It absolutely MUST have a larger screen. The current screen on it makes it much harder to type on than I'm used to. Maybe I have fat thumbs? To me, a larger screen is more function than form.
I agree that a larger screen would be a huge advantage, and a very nice upgrade. No matter what size ones fingers are, allowing more room to work via a larger display is a very sensible move.

However Apple is very attached to small, thin, style over function devices. Therefore even if they do make it larger, it won't be by much.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
The real question is "can early iPhone 4 adopters purchase the iPhone 5 at the discounted rate?"

Yes if you were on an high rate plan and it has been at least a year for the full upgrade price. Otherwise you can do an early upgrade which is plus $250 on top of the 2 yr price.(ATT Only) Anyone upgrading now with ATT will have to wait 20 months to upgrade no matter how much revenue your account brings. So I hope everyone likes the next phone cause all the yearly upgrades are gone. I imagine Verizon may allow some incentives to early upgrade but not certain.:D

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
What to expect

Black turtleneck, jeans, smoke and mirrors hype as usual.

Wow us? I don't see it happening, only for those who are very easily wowed.

The real upgrade will be iPhone 6. There is nothing but good things to look forward to after the iPhone 5 is put out to pasture.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
This year's keynote will go as follows:

1. Bragging of a gazillion iOS devices sold
2. iOS 5 updates / new features
3. iPhone 5 - a million new features but only talk about 8
4. iPod Touch - same as iPhone 5 and now 128gb
5. Phase out iPod classic
6. iPod nano with a bigger screen and physical buttons on the side or back
7. iPod shuffle - even smaller, now made as a keychain
8. Updates to iCloud
9. Lady Gaga performs and dressed as a cloud

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The only one I believe will happen is number 9. That should be worth the price of admission. :eek:

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
This year's keynote will go as follows:

1. Bragging of a gazillion iOS devices sold
2. iOS 5 updates / new features
3. iPhone 5 - a million new features but only talk about 8
4. iPod Touch - same as iPhone 5 and now 128gb
5. Phase out iPod classic
6. iPod nano with a bigger screen and physical buttons on the side or back
7. iPod shuffle - even smaller, now made as a keychain
8. Updates to iCloud
9. Lady Gaga performs and dressed as a cloud
hahahah,your list is great

Last edited:

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
I agree that a larger screen would be a huge advantage, and a very nice upgrade. No matter what size ones fingers are, allowing more room to work via a larger display is a very sensible move.

However Apple is very attached to small, thin, style over function devices. Therefore even if they do make it larger, it won't be by much.
You really think a phone the size of something like the Galaxy S2 is sensible? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the iPhone display as it is now in terms of size or resolution. You should maybe get your eyes checked.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You really think a phone the size of something like the Galaxy S2 is sensible? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the iPhone display as it is now in terms of size or resolution. You should maybe get your eyes checked.

As long as there is only one "current" iPhone model, of course not. The iPhone is the perfect compromise as a "only" model offering. The Galaxy S2 will sell plenty as there is a market for that size, particularly 20 somethings and uber-geeks.

As aging Gen Xer myself, it's way too big for my needs. I want something that will easily fit in my jeans pocket on weekends. I'm not a fan of guys that do Captain Kirk impressions with there hip holsters b/c their phone is too big for their pocket.

The real question is "can early iPhone 4 adopters purchase the iPhone 5 at the discounted rate?"

Sure, at some point, depending on your acct. I have the bottom tier plan + unlim data + 200 txt. Bought it on Day One. I'm eligible for a subsidized phone in Nov. Dial *NEW# from your phone and you'll get a text when you are eligible for a new subsidized phone.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Steve comes out

"We've got a lot of great things to show you, but first some updates"

"We have sold x millions IOS devices, and continue to be the largest mobile manufacturer in the world."

"Lion was released on the Mac App store, and it was a great success, the easiest upgrade ever, and out customers just loved it"

"We've been opening new stores too, look at these pictures of our new stores, aren't they just beautiful?"

A quick update on IOS 5, "the final BETA is out for our developers, and so far they have loved it, this is the most advanced mobile OS there is, and we can't wait for our customers to get their hands on it."

New iPhone, "Now if you believe the rumours, this year we will be releasing an iPhone 4s, and improved iPhone 4. But this is not something we are going to do, we've worked really hard on this, and what we've come up with is simply the best phone you have ever seen"

"Look, isn't this beaufitul, larger display, dual core A5 chip"

"If you look at flicker, you can see that the iPhone 4 is the most popular camera people are using to upload their pictures, and this tells us that people love taking photo's with their phones, so we're going to make it even better, the iPhone 5 has a 8MP camera, and its remarkable."

"Also shoots 1080p full HD"

"Battery life is better than ever"

"Out next week in most countries, available to pre-order today!"

iPods:

"The iPod classic has been a great icon of ours, and today it gets retired, to compensate for that, we are introducing a 128GB ipod touch for those with huge itunes libraries. It also has the same bigger display as the iphone 5. Plus a camera actually worth using!"

"Last year we introduced the new iPod Nano, and people have loved it. But they have told us, we miss watching video. So today we introduce the new Ipod Nano, slightly larger display, that when turned sideways can watch widescreen video, what a remarkable device. and it comes in colours"

"The iPod shuffle is now even smaller" (somehow??)

iCloud

"iCloud kicks off next week, the same day that the new iPhone is released, and boy are we ready for it"

more pictures of that massive building with all the high tech stuff inside.

"We think all this new great innovation is going to keep us above the competition for a long time"

Shows new ads and video's of Johnny Ive creaming himself over the enw designs.

*Yeah, im bored at work

sephyleader2

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
It's taken more than a year..... i expect them to wow us and pull out the biggest iPhone ever (as they do every year) , the iPhone 5, NOT 4S, 5, then I expect millions to be happy and pre order, myself included, and for them to break phone records and that the keynote will be an amazing collection of new shiny toys, and the small percentage that either just got an iPhone 4, aren't able to upgrade early from their iPhone 4, and the other percentage of Verizon users who aren't able to upgrade yet will come to these forums and complain that apple didn't upgrade it enough, or that they aren't impressed, or that it should have been the 4s because it didn't meet their expectations, that or complain about the design or whatever else is new just to feed their angry jealousy.

yep that's what i'm expecting......

oh and don't forget the "THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING PRODUCT WE HAVE MADE" "THIS IS MAGICAL" IT'S JUST AWESOME" "IT JUST WORKS" "ITS LIKE BUTTER" "DEAR GOD LOOK AT THE BEAUTIFUL ALUMINUM".... i kid i kid

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I predict Steve Jobs will come up on stage and say..

"You know, not everybody is perfect. We messed up with the iPhone 4, design was terrible, and we acknowledge that. Which is why with the iPhone 5 we destroyed everything about the iPhone 4, and built it from ground up. The iPhone 5 is a complete redesign of the iPhone"

;)

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Steve comes out

"We have sold x millions IOS devices, and continue to be the largest mobile manufacturer in the world."

"Lion was released on the Mac App store, and it was a great success, the easiest upgrade ever, and out customers just loved it"

"We've been opening new stores too, look at these pictures of our new stores, aren't they just beautiful?"

A quick update on IOS 5, "the final BETA is out for our developers, and so far they have loved it, this is the most advanced mobile OS there is, and we can't wait for our customers to get their hands on it."

New iPhone, "Now if you believe the rumours, this year we will be releasing an iPhone 4s, and improved iPhone 4. But this is not something we are going to do, we've worked really hard on this, and what we've come up with is simply the best phone you have ever seen"

"If you look at flicker, you can see that the iPhone 4 is the most popular camera people are using to upload their pictures, and this tells us that people love taking photo's with their phones, so we're going to make it even better, the iPhone 5 has a 8MP camera, and its remarkable."

iPods:

"The iPod classic has been a great icon of ours, and today it gets retired, to compensate for that, we are introducing a 128GB ipod touch for those with huge itunes libraries. It also has the same bigger display as the iphone 5. Plus a camera actually worth using!"

"Last year we introduced the new iPod Nano, and people have loved it. But they have told us, we miss watching video. So today we introduce the new Ipod Nano, slightly larger display, that when turned sideways can watch widescreen video, what a remarkable device. and it comes in colours"

iCloud

"iCloud kicks off next week, the same day that the new iPhone is released, and boy are we ready for it"

"We think all this new great innovation is going to keep us above the competition for a long time"

*Yeah, im bored at work

Steve? Is that you?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I predict Steve Jobs will come up on stage and say..

"You know, not everybody is perfect. We messed up with the iPhone 4, design was terrible, and we acknowledge that. Which is why with the iPhone 5 we destroyed everything about the iPhone 4, and built it from ground up. The iPhone 5 is a complete redesign of the iPhone"

;)
Like it or not if Apple changes the design this year they will be admitting the iPhone 4 design was a mistake. This will definitely be an interesting keynote this year.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Hahaha, that's what i was thinking.

It really does sound like a real keynote!
I'm hoping its the real keynote with a few things added:

Here's what i mean (changes are bolded):
jabingla2810 said:
Steve comes out

"If you look at flicker, you can see that the iPhone 4 is the most popular camera people are using to upload their pictures, and this tells us that people love taking photo's with their phones, so we're going to make it even better, the iPhone 5 has a 8MP cameraAND A MORE RESPONSIVE SENSOR, TO LET IN MORE LIGHT AND DECREASE NOISE IN LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS, and its remarkable."

"We are also introducing something that we are really excited about, and we know that you are going to love it too....NFC"

"We think that paying with credit cards can sometimes just be too much of a hassle and can really create a lot of clutter in your purse or wallet. We decided to help you guys out some with that [DEMONSTRATES NFC TECHNOLOGY, CROWD GOES CRAZY]
"

"Something else we are really excited about, and we know that the rumor mills have been going nuts about this, is LTE support. We got our hands on the Qualcomm dualband chips sooner than anyone else and we are really excited that you guys can get your hands on them too!"

iPods:

iCloud

*Yeah, im bored at work

Yes, im SUPER bored at work haha.

Sedrick said:
Like it or not if Apple changes the design this year they will be admitting the iPhone 4 design was a mistake. This will definitely be an interesting keynote this year.
The last iPhone design only lasted 2 cycles (2 years) and the original iPhone only lasted 1 year, so there is no evidence that a design cycle has to last 2 years.

The iPhone 4 was a beautiful device. Antennagate was a hoax and wasn't as big a deal as people made it out to be.

I loved the iPhone 4 but in a growing smart phone market, Apple needs to shake it up every cycle and keep giving us fresh looking products to compete. Most consumers of iPhones aren't buying it for the upgraded specs, they are buying it for the look and the fact that they have an IPHONE, which is thought to be a superior brand.

You don't think people buy Tiffany rings because the diamonds are nicer, do you? No, the buy it for the name.

Same with the iPhone, except the iPhones is also about the look.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
The last iPhone design only lasted 2 cycles (2 years) and the original iPhone only lasted 1 year, so there is no evidence that a design cycle has to last 2 years.

The iPhone 4 was a beautiful device. Antennagate was a hoax and wasn't as big a deal as people made it out to be.

I loved the iPhone 4 but in a growing smart phone market, Apple needs to shake it up every cycle and keep giving us fresh looking products to compete. Most consumers of iPhones aren't buying it for the upgraded specs, they are buying it for the look and the fact that they have an IPHONE, which is thought to be a superior brand.

You don't think people buy Tiffany rings because the diamonds are nicer, do you? No, the buy it for the name.

Same with the iPhone, except the iPhones is also about the look.

Sorry, but i disagree. I don't think he was saying that a design has to last 2 years. He was pointing out that the iPhone 4 design is flawed.

The iPhone 4 is a beautiful design, aesthetically it's great. But ergonomically, while using it, it feels awkward on the hand. Antennagate is a hoax? LOL, nope it's very real. I used the death grip on my friend's iPhone 4 and i reduced 3 to 4 bars. But i agree it's been blown out of proportions, because such a popular figure like Apple made a huge mistake.
The iPhone 4 design is plagued with several issues, which led it to get the worst publicity; antennagate, lack of white version, glass shattering, bad sensors, poor ergonomics etc.

The iPhone 4 is a great concept design, but should have never been executed.
But the iPhone 4 sold well, why? It's just like how you said it, it's because an iPhone.

See this is where you're wrong, the iPhone is a smartphone. It's meant to be productive, you can't compare it with diamonds. I don't know about you, but i want a phone that i can use properly, that's how i get my work done, not by staring at it.

I was one of those people who said that the iPhone 4 prototype was horrible, when it was leaked, and my opinion hasn't changed.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Sorry, but i disagree. I don't think he was saying that a design has to last 2 years. He was pointing out that the iPhone 4 design is flawed.

The iPhone 4 is a beautiful design, aesthetically it's great. But ergonomically, while using it, it feels awkward on the hand. Antennagate is a hoax? LOL, nope it's very real. I used the death grip on my friend's iPhone 4 and i reduced 3 to 4 bars. But i agree it's been blown out of proportions, because such a popular figure like Apple made a huge mistake.
The iPhone 4 design is plagued with several issues, which led it to get the worst publicity; antennagate, lack of white version, glass shattering, bad sensors, poor ergonomics etc.

The iPhone 4 is a great concept design, but should have never been executed.
But the iPhone 4 sold well, why? It's just like how you said it, it's because an iPhone.

See this is where you're wrong, the iPhone is a smartphone. It's meant to be productive, you can't compare it with diamonds. I don't know about you, but i want a phone that i can use properly, that's how i get my work done, not by staring at it.

I was one of those people who said that the iPhone 4 prototype was horrible, when it was leaked, and my opinion hasn't changed.
My point is that an iPhone is a prestige product. Much like Tiffany and Godiva chocolate in the sense that people want it because they think it is the best.

More educated people, such as techies may disagree, but to a 15-18 year old girl, the iPhone just seems like the phone that will make them the coolest in the lunch room. You'd be surprised how many people think like this if you study mass sociology. I wasn't saying that the iPhone shouldn't be the most productive phone on the market. Obviously if they gave us a gorgeous paper weight, it wouldn't sell. My point with the analysis is that both Tiffany's and Kay Jewelers sell diamonds, but if anyone had the money and their choice, 99% of the time the woman is going to choose Tiffany's, because it's Tiffany's for crying out loud. The iPhone and Android-based phones are very similar products, just as the jewelers are. One just sells more off of name alone in my opinions. But don't get me wrong, I love Apple as a company, and I think their products are top-notch.

Also, with regards to antennaegate, my point was that it WAS blown out of proportion. Not many people were truly affected by it. Yes, a lot of people saw their bars go down, including me, but it did not increase the number of dropped calls/slow data speeds that some people thought it would. Many expert analysts have said this on record to my knowledge.

As for the ergonomics, that's all a matter of preference. But I will always stand by my stance that Apple focuses a lot more on design than features a lot of the time.

They have a brilliant strategy. The iPhone is always the best looking phone on the market, and that appeals to most Americans.

I am a techie, so there is a lot of things I want, but as a graphic designer as well, what initially brought me into the iPhone world was it's look. I'm just saying that the iPhone is so successful because it's a prestige brand, and it just flat out looks so nice.

anonymous6237

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Plano, TX

I for one loved the iPhone 4 design from the minute it leaked and still think that it's the best looking device on the market.

Also, I've used an iPhone 4 since the day it came out and I love everything about it. I have no problem with ergonomics, signal attenuation, or any of the other things you mentioned. I don't use a case and never have.

The iPhone 4 didn't sell just because it's an iPhone. It sold because it was the best phone on the market at launch and is only just now starting to be surpassed by anything from other manufacturers.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I for one loved the iPhone 4 design from the minute it leaked and still think that it's the best looking device on the market.

Also, I've used an iPhone 4 since the day it came out and I love everything about it. I have no problem with ergonomics, signal attenuation, or any of the other things you mentioned. I don't use a case and never have.

The iPhone 4 didn't sell just because it's an iPhone. It sold because it was the best phone on the market at launch and is only just now starting to be surpassed by anything from other manufacturers.
The point we are both making though, is that it would have sold WELL either way because it's a great product, but the iPhone sells so many more units than any standalone Android device for the simple fact that it's an iPhone.

Get it?

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America

Actually, I think it did sell just because it's an iPhone. After all the negative press it got, and the fact that even consumer report didn't recommend it. If the same phone was made by Samsung and went through all the bad publicity, then it would've been a failed product.

There were numerous phones which were 'spec-wise' much better than an iPhone, at that point.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Actually, I think it did sell just because it's an iPhone. After all the negative press it got, and the fact that even consumer report didn't recommend it. If the same phone was made by Samsung and went through all the bad publicity, then it would've been a failed product.
Exactly. The iPhone will always sell, even if it is worse than another product, because it IS an iPhone.

That was my point haha.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Exactly. The iPhone will always sell, even if it is worse than another product, because it IS an iPhone.

That was my point haha.

Agreed!

But based off the rumors about the iPhone 5, this one will be big. It'll sell because it's an iPhone, and because if the rumors are true, it'll be an amazing phone.

Also, Sidney Crosby truly is a phenom.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
George-Bush-Funny.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.