What was the first Apple product that people started lining up for?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dontwalkhand, Aug 5, 2012.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

So what is the first Apple product that people started standing in line for? I kind of vaguely remember that even before the iPhone people stood in line for iPods, but for some reason it just doesn't sound right, I don't exactly remember iPods being THAT popular.

I've been using iPhones since 2007, iPods since 2003, and Macs since even before that.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The first product I can remember that really generated lines was the first iPhone. If there were lines for iPods, I never saw them (not saying it did not happen).

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I want to say iPhone since that was the product that really stunned a lot of people.

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

My first Apple product I bought was the first iPhone.

There were lines at the Tyson's Corner store.

I went in wanting the phone and ended up walking out with a laptop and iPhone.

Before that, I couldn't speculate.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm pretty sure it was the first iPhone. I don't remember hearing about lines for any other products before that. Also I think the iPhone was one of the first apple products to be announced more than a couple days before it was available which probably contributed to the lines since more people were able to know about the release date without sitting on sites like macrumors all day.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

That there were.

I remember the first being the iPhone. I have no idea before that.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't give a flip... those are some crazy people standing in line :)

Apple provides us with a world class online store with the best ordering and shipping service.

Why people stand in line, reveals a lot about them. :eek:

9. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I stood in line for an iPhone. 8 hours in line (about a month and a half after the iPhone 4 was released). Other than that, I've stood in line briefly for the opening of the first Apple Store in my city. I've become less of an apple fan since then.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The first iPhone was the one. The line at that time was limited to some Apple Stores and the main 5th Ave Apple Store. (this one got te bulk of media attention)

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

People would line up for the OS X releases as well. I have t-shirt from one of them, I think there was other door prizes as well.

12. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Wow - lot of wrong answers here.

People did line up for Mac OS X in the day. I got my OS X beta dogtags by buying in the store.

In addition, there were lines for the iPod 2nd and 3rd gens.

I know, because I was in those lines. Mall security was freaking out, and other mall tenants were not pleased either.

Note for "ixodes:" no one expected lines those days. I fully expected to get in and out within 5 minutes - I was shocked to see a line at all. I thought I was the only one who knew...

13. TSE macrumors 68030

Does nobody remember the gigantic amount of lines that were around Apple Stores when the first generation iPod Nano came out? It was ridiculous. I wasn't even a huge Apple fan then, but I was at the Mall of America and the hallway with the Apple Store was basically blocked off because there was so much ruckus over it.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

And its fair to point out that the opening of a new Apple stores would draw huge lines as well, so true nerds were accustom to waiting in line. ;)

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

This. The hype wasn't nearly as bad as it was when the iPhone came out, but I do remember the nano being a really big deal at the time, and lines forming at some retailers.