What was your first cell phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jbenn425, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

I got my first cell phone 11 years ago in 8th grade. It was a Motorola 120t. I just dug it out of my closet but it had no charger so I ordered one on ebay for $3 because I REALLY want to turn it on for nostalgia. And to be able to show my kids one day. So what was your first cell phone?

Attached Files:

• 120t.JPG
      120t.JPG
      File size:
      636.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

3. Jbenn425 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's interesting. What about the iPhone made you decide to get a cell phone? It's hard enough to switch someone from a dumb phone to a smart phone, never mind a person with no phone at all.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

My first was a Kyocera QCP2035a.

[​IMG]

Since then, I've had a Motorola T720 and a Nokia 6126. After that was my first "smartphone" style phone, a Motorola Atrix. When that one started having screen issues, I got an iPhone 5, which is my current phone.

5. Jbenn425 thread starter macrumors regular

I had the T720. I LOVED that phone!! I remember at that time everyone had the song P.I.M.P as their ringtone because polyphonic tones were all the rage. I remember you were also able to get a camera attachment for it. So effectively it was one of the first camera phones. I remember thinking to myself "All this phone needs it a front camera and you could video chat!"

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

My first cell phone was a portable 3 watt "car phone" made by Panasonic back in 1987 or 88. Cost about a grand and the service was very expensive at about 80 cents a minute after I used up my free 30 minutes a month. I forget what the monthly service charge was. Needless to say I didn't use it much

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

8. Jbenn425 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm curious, if I buy a T720 off ebay, how can I get in past the "insert SIM" screen? Would it work if I just bought a blank sim card off ebay and inserted it just to be able to access the phone's features?

9. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I'm a "serious hobbyist" MIDI/electronic musician; I learned to create MIDI files that would play back (but not very well) on the T720. I didn't get a camera on my phone until the Nokia 6126. I did some screen customizations on that one, and the 6126 even had a General MIDI soundset for easy full-orchestration ringtone creation.

10. glsillygili macrumors 6502

glsillygili

11. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Sony CMR 111 back in 1993

Such a cool design - and the smallest phone I've owned!

[​IMG]

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not sure of the exact model number, but I'm pretty sure this was it - at least it looks like it. One of the first GSM phones for AT&T Wireless (pre-Cingular merger) circa 2002 or 2003. The thing was indestructible.

[​IMG]

Kinda wish I still had it, put my SIM card in there and see how well it works because I think it would still work on AT&T's network. I'd be curious how call quality compares to today's smart phones, some of the older Nokias were amazing in that regard.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

14. Jbenn425 thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh yes, my mother had that in silver. I remember it also used to come as a car phone with Lexus's. It was eventually replaced with a V60 for Lexus.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

16. malman89 macrumors 68000

I was going to use this exact image. I don't think it's a perfect match, but I had this similar phone on Cingular Wireless in red. It looked awesome and was awesome since I got it at a pretty young age (for the time) in 8th grade since I was the youngest of 4 and just got added in to the family plan with my siblings. Definitely called no one but my family.

17. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I was using a Verizon Samsung Alias 2 before I got an iPhone 5.

18. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

My first was a Motorola KRZR that I bought when I saved up enough in highschool

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Mine was some sort of Nokia similar to what yg17 posted many, many years ago.

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My parents got me this Sanyo at the end of my sophomore year in high school. I hated it with a passion to the point that I made them cancel my service and I didn't have a phone until the iPhone 2G came out.

[​IMG]

21. sathi macrumors newbie

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Mine was a Siemens M35i, commonly called the PostPhone.

Like 35% of the Netherlands these phones were free by the opening from a bank account by the PostBank.:)

23. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

A Motorola Timeport.

Man I loved it! But I wore a lot of baggy jeans back then - that's how I've lost it.

[​IMG]

24. Misskitty macrumors 6502

I remember when they were $750 on a 3 year term :eek:

----------

I had the major hots for the v60 cause at the time, it was the first all metal housing cell phone. It was some serious hotness. $900 hotness.

I would like to see someone, anyone in public with a normal cell. Everyone has smartphones now even grandmas are rocking iphones.