Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I would like to see someone, anyone in public with a normal cell. Everyone has smartphones now even grandmas are rocking iphones.

Really? I see lots of people using normal cell phones still - and I'm not living in the third world or something. And of all ages actually. Only the very young and the business people are smartphone only - except that the very young may keep their normal ones hidden. :D

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Wow, that's interesting. What about the iPhone made you decide to get a cell phone? It's hard enough to switch someone from a dumb phone to a smart phone, never mind a person with no phone at all.
To be honest, i got the iPhone to impress girls because in 2007 it wasn't available in my country. :cool:
Hehe, good times. I can't believe 6 years have passed.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
This was my first cellphone, way back in 1989 (without the landrover branding though) :)
carphone.gif

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Cell phones have gone from Get Smart's shoe to Star Trek's communicator. :) I had a Motorola Bag Phone back in the early-mid 90's something like:

186546d1374975140t-first-phone-youve-ever-had-collectorsquest.jpg

I was frequently on call at that time with my job and having a portable phone was 100% better than a beeper, although I had to remember to be careful where I went to maintain coverage...

Now I love: :)

06_archimedes_35438535_620x433.jpg

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Really? I see lots of people using normal cell phones still - and I'm not living in the third world or something. And of all ages actually. Only the very young and the business people are smartphone only - except that the very young may keep their normal ones hidden. :D

Where are you? In the US, it seems everyone does have a smart phone. Even my almost 96 year old grandfather wants one, thankfully my dad nipped that idea in the bud because that would be a disaster waiting to happen.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Where are you? In the US, it seems everyone does have a smart phone. Even my almost 96 year old grandfather wants one, thankfully my dad nipped that idea in the bud because that would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Germany! We're like the very sleepy part of the first world.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
…….

I would like to see someone, anyone in public with a normal cell. Everyone has smartphones now even grandmas are rocking iphones.

I have never used anything but a 'normal' cell phone; I don't have - and am not much interested in acquiring - a smart phone.

Re the question posed by the OP: I currently have my mother's antique Nokia, (one of those indestructible but classic ones) and most of the cell phones I have used have been Nokias of one sort or another.

Exactly. Normal cell phones are perfectly fine, and not everyone needs or wants smart phones.

In any case, I have a MBA, and an iPad for when I want to be accessible online (which - perhaps surprisingly - is not all the time).

All the field technicians at one of my early jobs had these in 1995:

Oh, yes, indeed. I remember those very well. I recall a time when they could be classed as a most desirable object, and were the subject of bitter envy among penniless college students. Indeed, while they required frequent charging, I can remember a time when possessing one of these sent a strong beeping signal that you were a seriously cutting edge dude….

Not all of us are in the US…...

Germany! We're like the very sleepy part of the first world.

Bravo - nice one. Though I harbour some doubts about the state of somnolence of a country that produces BMWs and Mercedes motor-cars….

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
BTW, I'm an American who uses a Samsung flip phone. I don't text, so there's no need for me to have a smart phone. Too many people live through their smart phones instead interacting in real time with people. Personally I think it's sad..

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I'm aware of that, that's why I asked where he was :rolleyes:

Lol. All is fine. But to be fair - the vast majority I see in public are using smartphones as well - and most of those are black iphones. But still, little need to pull your normal cell phone out to show off so who knows.. ;)

BMWs and Mercedes...*sigh* I agree scepticalscribe. As a matter of fact, here in Munich it seems like everybody owns a BMW. At minmum I guess. Poor rich fools :D

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
With 35% Smartphones for 65 yrs and above here in the Netherlands and 37% for Tablets.:cool:

Van de oudere Nederlandse consumenten bezit 35 procent een smartphone en 37 procent een tablet. Voor de smartphone geldt dat het gebruik en bezit daalt naarmate de Nederlandse consument ouder wordt, terwijl bij tablets de piek met 51 procent in de middelste leeftijdscategorie zit. Dat blijkt uit de Global Mobile Consumer Survey Addicted to Connectivity, een jaarlijks onderzoek van Deloitte onder de mobiele consument.
http://www.emerce.nl/nieuws/ouderen-groeimarkt-tablets-smartphones

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
A Motorola Timeport.

Man I loved it! But I wore a lot of baggy jeans back then - that's how I've lost it.

I still have one of those and it still works. It was the first Tri-Band GSM phone I owned. You changed the band manually. It was purchased in London and I was based in downtown New York at the time but travelling back to Europe frequently so it was unlocked.

From what I remember the only GSM carrier in the US at the time was Voicestream later to become T-Mobile. ATT was still analogue in 2001.

I remember my phone was the only one in our downtown New York office that worked on 9/11 because Voicestream had so few customers there was no congestion. ATT was either out completely or congested.

It was not my First Cell phone but it is the earliest model I still own.

Attachments

• timeport.jpg
    timeport.jpg
    980.9 KB · Views: 367

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Bought this right after returning home from our wedding/honeymoon 13 years ago.

attachment.php

Stuck with flip phones until my first smartphone, an AT&T Tilt.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I first got a cellphone in 1999 with Pacific Bell Wireless, which then turned into Cingular and finally AT&T. I owned a Nokia 5190. It seemed like they were the most popular brand back then.

images

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
I had one of those larger Motorolas with a flipie. It might have been MicroTAC, maybe not. I don't recall the model. It was large and bulky. After that I got a starTAC, it was a good phone. Had several Motorolas, used to be a fan. The last one - a KRZR is probably about 6-7 years old and is still alive and well, my mom is using it to this day. After that one I got an Android and then went iPhones because my Android was plain awful. Still thanking HTC to this day for driving me to Apple.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
motorola pt550... damn i'm old

the fun part was to put it in diag mode and listen to other ppls conversations... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.