What where your favorite classes when you where in High School?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ohaithar, Oct 31, 2010.

1. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

My favorite classes where Psychology, Econ AP, US History AP, & Advance Drama. Those where my easiest (imo) & funnest classes.
    I hated all my math classes though. For all my 4 years in math (Alg 1, Alg 2, Geo, & Trig), My grade was a D on all of them.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I enjoyed my lunch period and pe lol

funny how its the same for college and now grad school

3. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

In high school now. Here's a rundown of my classes this year! (More than you asked for, but I'm bored.)

1st period -- Advanced Functions and Modeling. An absolute JOKE. I know that, my classmates know that, my teacher knows that. We play Wii in that class.
    2nd period -- Spanish III Honors. Ehhh. Okay, I guess. It's hard but the teacher's pretty nice. Disfortunamente, no me gusta aprender espanol mucho.
    3rd period -- Honors English III. Amusing class. My friends are in it, which is good, and skewing the textbook liberal indoctrination lectures is also good.
    4th period -- Honors US History. I love history. My teacher's kind of a hard-ass but she's also very good at what she does!
    5th period -- Honors Civil War/American West. Ehhh. Would be tons of fun if I wasn't the only junior in a class of seniors. My counselor said there would be an even mix. Haha.
    6th period -- AP Environmental Science. Teacher is kind of the nutty professor type, so our class doesn't get anything done. People seize their chance to talk and won't shut up. Frustrating but it could be worse.
    7th period -- Study Hall. I hang out in the library or sometimes just sleep in the bed of my friend's truck. :D

4. ohaithar thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Environmental Science? Is that new? What do they teach there? like how to be green?

5. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, it's literally an entire class in which students have (excuse the politics) a bunch of liberal BS drilled into their heads. There is some science, but you have to really hunt for it. The other day, I pulled up next to my teacher in the parking lot in my 8MPG 1979 Lincoln... her face was priceless. :D

6. ohaithar thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

ahhaha, that's awesome. :D

7. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Phew! I am glad to see that English wasn't listed as one of your favorite classes.

;)

GL

8. ohaithar thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Yeah yeah my grammar sucks, but whatever. My English classes where alright. I got decent grades, and I even got a 3 on both my English 3 & 4 AP tests.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

In highschool right now, as a freshman.
    I was fortunate enough to get this schedule. My school only allows AP Human Geography for 9th graders, but this is what I have:

1) English Honors 1: Teacher is really hard and strict and still scares me even though I've been in school for 9 weeks now. You never want to even think about telling a joke to this guy ... he will rip your face off.

2) Biology Honors: Ehh, its okay. The teacher goes through the material very fast so no one really understands what is going on, and the tests are super hard.

3) AP Art History: The class is alright because the teacher is easy and doesn't expect much. Everyone justs texts and talks. The tests are hard though, mainly for the fact no one pays attention in class. time flies because we only have this class for 50 minutes.

4)AP Human Geography: Awesome teacher. He is amazing. His tests are super hard though.

5) AP World History: The class is okay. Its not bad, but its not good either. The teacher seems good, but there is a lot of work.

6) Spanish 2: I don't this class. I don't know how I make it through every other day (we have 4 classes a day. A day: 1234, B day: 5637 <--- we have AP art history every day)

7) Algebra II Honors: Class is good. The teacher is good, we don't get that much homework, and I've been doing well so far. *knock on wood*

I used to go to the IB program, in which I had AP World, AP Art and AP physics (yeah, I know ... don't even ask about the AP physics) so my new school was kind enough to move over AP World and AP Art so that is why I have those classes over my other 9th grade friends.

10. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Health & Safety (drugs, sex-ed, drivers safety, etc. Easy A and interesting stuff)
    Russian (teacher was easily sidetracked so we discussed a lot of Soviet era politics)
    Typing (this skill will last a lifetime and came in handy through college and beyond)
    Choir ( I was a real life "Gleek" before the TV show)

11. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Shop, Algebra 2, and Trig were all fun for me. Chemistry was also pretty good.

12. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Currently a sophomore. Favoites (so far) are: AP Chemistry(Really hard and I don't understand a lot. But friends and labs make it bearable), Algebra 3 honors (Cool teacher), and BCSI(hands on science kind of class).

I can't wait until I can take psychology.

And for those who listed the classes, how many class changes a year do you get? Or how many class credits?

13. rgwoehr macrumors member

I'm a senior right now. Here's my schedule:

Economics (One of my least favorite classes, but it's pretty easy.)
    English (My least favorite subject, but the teacher is pretty awesome.)
    Advanced Woodshop (Favorite class)
    Precalculus (Cool teacher, pretty easy class)
    Drafting (It's a new class and there's no curriculum, so we pretty much do whatever we want. Right now we're making games)
    AP Computer Science (My most difficult class. I'm having a tough time learning Java. I like the class though)

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Physics and Math.... everything else sucked... hard.

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I hated high school. My favorite "classes" were the free periods I had during my senior year. I got to go to the library and talk with other people during their free period or use the internet.

17. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

My last two years of high school, I took a class called Diversified Technology. We had a robotic arm that we could program (using an Apple IIE, no less!), a CNC (Computer Numerical Control) mill, a Programmable Logic Controller, and more. It was like some kind of high tech futureland. Oh yeah, we were doing all of this in the late 80s, so it really was amazing stuff. During my second year, the school bought a CNC lathe for the metalworking program, but they couldn't figure out how to program it. Our teacher put all the second year students on it (there were only about 4 of us) and we ended up making a couple of chess sets and later showing the metal working people how to use it.

18. 184550 Guest

Anything to do with history or government, english was easy so I guess that would be a favorite. APUSH was by far the most rewarding/ hardest class I took in high school.

I hated math, science and foreign language.

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

1. AP US History and Government class. I like history( especially US history) and I loved the teacher that taught it( I also took AP US History because the teacher that taught government also taught APUSH).

2. Oceanography and Astronomy. Again, I liked the course and the teacher. I also liked it because I always had the highest grade in the class. :p:cool:

While I hated high school for the social aspects, I hardly ever had any trouble with my teachers with the exception of my french teacher. I swear the moment I told her I was not planning to continue on with French, my grade dropped from a B to a D( not blaming/accusing her, but still funny that is when my grade started to plummet. :p ). And even with the few issues I had with her, she wasn't all that bad. My senior year English teachers liked me a lot. They always looked forward to reading my papers( and they were not even the best in the class).

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Geology, AP European History, AP Literature, and German. ...In that order.

21. 184550 Guest

I would have liked that class better had the teacher taught/ examined the themes in APEH rather than taking the stereotypical history teacher approach (bland examination of names, dates, singular events).

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I was so very fortunate; my European History teacher (he taught both honors and AP) was phenomenal. I didn't like history until I learned it from him. He brought arts and music into the classroom, and explained their relation to the historical events of that time (Renaissance, Reformation, WWI, WWII, etc.).

We learned of the French and English monarchies as if they were soap operas (who can forget Henry VIII and his wives, or King Louis XIV?); we read and studied Machiavelli's The Prince; our class reenacted The Congress of Vienna in teams each representing a country and negotiated over land; our lesson of the Napoleonic invasion of Russia was perfectly timed and lectured to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Later, I would reference my notes from his classes in my University history courses.

It's been years and I'm still discovering ways he inspired me.

23. ohaithar thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

You're so lucky.....my euro ap teacher just read off the powerpoint, and that's how we learned, off a powerpoint.

Also, nobody else here was in Drama?

24. DavidClassic macrumors member

I do Drama (10th year)