What will you do if verizon gets the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alphatectz, Apr 26, 2009.

1. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

So there has been talk about verizon and the iPhone, my question is how many of you guys/gals on macrumors will switch over to
    Verizons more pricey network? I'll
    Honestly will stick with AT&T I love my iPhone (best thing that has come for a phone) I just won't pay a crap load for verizon. Yes they have good service but I know people that work for the company and what phone service do they have.... It's not verizon, it's either AT&T or tmobile. But wait why don't they use the storm, they don't use of b/c it's stupid and OD pricey. Yes they get a discount but they still end up paying 100+ after there discounts from verizon. There for there isn't any real reason to switch over unless you want good service. I say just wait and see AT&T, they started with crappy service but now it's getting much better.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont verizon employees get free service?
    I know AT&T and Tmobile offers unlimited free service to their people but not sure about Verizon.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Considering that this would happen after Verizon upgrades to their next network, it's probably impossible to know who will be charging what at that point in time.

One could assume that if 2 companies have the iPhone, they'd probably try to match prices as closely as possible since, you know, it would a hard sell to say "Hey, buy the iPhone from us...same phone, more money!"

So I doubt that price will be a big difference.

That said, I've never been fond of Verizon's practice of locking down their phones with crappy operating systems to try and charge you for every little thing. My cousin's Verizon RAZR sucked compared to my wife's T-Mobile RAZR.

Now, I don't think Apple will let them do that to the iPhone...I'm sure a Verizon iPhone will work the same as an AT&T one. But the point is, I don't much like the company and I don't think I could get over that.

So I'd stick with AT&T.

4. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

No, a few of my friends work for verizon, they get 50% off but after all that they get hit with taxes and extra fees so they get screwed over. No special rates or anything else.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I work for a Verizon call center and we get a 22% discount *I think* I would be sad if I had to switch to Verizon :(. I currently have T-Mobile and get an 18% discount on my monthly bill 'cause I work for ACS (Verizon) lol.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, they just give their employees a discount but no free service?
    And with their fees and crappy phone selection and locked down verizon software I understand where they're comming from.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Thats too funny, Tmobile gives verizon employees a discount :D
    And at the end you're probably paying less than you would with Verizon with a slightly better discount.

8. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I agree, except they don't do that with smartphones. I had a Treo--actually several--with Verizon, and it cost basically the same as the plan with AT&T, and there was no difference in features from my best friend who had a Treo with Sprint.

They are overly controlling with regular phones, but not with BBs or Palms.

9. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

think of it like this....

verizon has to keep up with there network and make sure it works everywhere so therefore they wont lower the price if they ever do get the iphone, what they will have to do it raise the price for the monthly rate...
    also i dont think verizon uses sim cards, unless i might be mistaking with sprint but either way like u said the razr for verizon sucked compared to tmobile's razr.....
    also you have to keep in mind that verizon has there own music network and so does at&t but i hardly doubt that verizon will switch over to itunes, therefore if verizon does makea switch to itunes they will be losing out on tons of money.....

10. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

only 22% so i gues my friends were trying to make verizon look good b/c of the discount i guess they were to ashamed to say the truth lol.

there you go a verizon worker that uses tmobile. i get 25% off my at&t serivce cause i work for the state, so im good...:D

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Basically, because T-Mobiles price plans are cheaper. I use my iPhone on T-Moblle for probably about $35-$45 a month.

Just for the record, the company I work for is called ACS (Affiliated Computer Services) and we are an indirect call center for Verizon. Not actual VZW employees. Just a nice fact is that Verizon Wireless out sources 88% of it's work. :)

12. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

in other words they suck, lol

13. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

+1, i agree it is funny that another phone service gives someone that works for the comp a discount, it still close to verizons so call 22% off lol

14. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I live in New York City where Verizon has a better system by far. ATT doesn't penetrate into many Manhattan apartments, they keep to the highway. I would switch in a second. And then I would be able to make iPhone calls from my apartment!

15. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

well i have to say i had tmobile i didnt like the service and they gave me the run around when i had my Black berry curve with them, damn thing kept getting runined and they tryed to give me a ugly cheaper phone, so therefore i left to at&t i love ther service and since i have a iphone if anything happens just get a replacement for free unless i crack the screen or have water damage, but then again at&t offers refurbs for less the 200 so im happy:D

16. amd4me macrumors 6502

You are full of crap. Go back to the drawing board and get your lies together.

17. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

i also live in ny, i havent had any problems in any of my friends apartments in the city, we keep on getting carrier updates so just wait until 3.0 comes out i bet you'll have better service. but if you having a problem call at&t it might be something with them, there customer service is great, never had a problem.

18. Pookieinc macrumors member

Definitely switch back to Verizon. I hate AT&T with a passion. Living in northern California, with Verizon I never had a single dropped call, and I had service everywhere. Now with AT&T, I have so many dropped calls that it's ridiculous, and I don't get service in many places! But I love the iPhone too much to really care for it, so if Verizon grabbed the iPhone, I'd definitely be happier to head back to them! :eek:

19. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

im full of crap, how do you figure, why dont you read the threads, why dont you look at macrumors main page, theres a new article/rumor about verizon and the iphone...

thank you very much :D

20. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

I'll get an iPhone! :D

Until then, I am sticking w/ Verizon, b/c where I live, and several times when I have traveled, I have had to lend my phone to folks who use other carriers who cannot get a signal.

(Although I have to confess that about every six months I have to talk myself out of getting an iPhone in *addition* to my Verizon phone ... )

21. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

at least your honest, i rather not bother with people saying crap, this was just a thread to see what people will do, not to bash anyone like some one did a few post before.....;)

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's not the point.

The fact that they did that to their regular phones means I don't really like them.

If I found out a grocery store was needlessly torturing the cows for fun before they killed them, I wouldn't go in and order the chicken instead. I'd avoid shopping there altogether.

AT&T's system, by its nature, doesn't penetrate buildings as well as Verizon's system does.

Verizon's 4G system is going to be similar to AT&T's 4G system.

I don't know if those 4G systems will do well with buildings or not, but my point is that basing future buying decisions on the present doesn't make much sense. It'd be like deciding on a current computer purchase by comparing a G4 to a Pentium 4.

23. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

well maybe the 3.0 fw will change your mind, maybe it will finally lead you to an iphone or not, yes apple has taken long to give us iphone users what we want but they just wanted to perfect it....

24. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Small White Car is actually correct. I would actually say Verizon is the most controlling with their Blackberries and other smart phones. Verizon actually has Wifi disabled on all the Blackberries they sell so people are forced to use the data network. ;)

25. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

as you see verizon BLOCKS the use of WIFI, why wouldnt they jsut unblock it, they just want money