What will you do with your iPhone 4 when iPhone 5 comes out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by david.pena, Jul 20, 2011.

1. david.pena macrumors member

Just curious about what people are thinking about doing with their iPhone 4s when iPhone 5 comes out. (assuming most of us will upgrade:apple:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know how to put a signature yet so here is mine: Everything Apple

2. tigert07 macrumors regular

I'm gonna give mine to my mom. She loves the 3GS i gave her when I bought my iPhone 4, so I might as well continue the cycle.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If I were to upgrade to the next iteration of the iPhone, I would probably sell off the iPhone 4 and keep my 3Gs as a backup.

But in my case, I'm keeping my iPhone 4 (black) and buying an iPhone 4 white at a cheaper price when the new iPhone comes out. :)

Also, if you want an actual signature, you can go into User CP which is a button located under the 'Front Page' button at the top of the screen and then once you're in the User CP click on 'Edit Signature' on the left hand side. :)

4. david.pena thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for telling me how to do the signature. I have a real one now:)

Why would you not buy the iPhone 5? You don't think it will be awesome. For me, I resisted iPhone 4 upgrade for the longest time and regretted delaying it so I ain't waiting this time :)

5. david.pena thread starter macrumors member

Great plan. Kudos!

6. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I'm gonna hold on to my iPhone 4 because my contract ends in February 2012. I can wait til iPhone 6. I hope...

7. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Ill be selling the iPhone 4, iPhone's still go for big bucks even when the next one comes out.

Guess the reason is there isnt a new handset every week like you tend to find with Android phones.

8. david.pena thread starter macrumors member

Is there a support group for people like me who cannot resist an Apple upgrade? :)

9. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I'm going to sell mine on to cover the cost of paying the remainder of my bill which i think will be at 20£ a month. At the point of the iphone 5 release i will only have 2 months left on my contract so i can pay the 40£ off and this time i will be getting the 32gb model so i can cover that cost as well.

I should get around 250-300£ for my ip4 since it's in very good condition so i will pocket some cash from the sale too :D

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

My situation exactly.

When I get the iPhone 6, I will have my Iphone 4 encased in lucite and contribute it to the NY MOMA for display in their design exhibit. ;)

11. ihonda macrumors 68000

exactly what i plan to do. I'm actually gonna take the 3GS back from her and trade it in @ target or radioshack, more likely target. or try to sell it for $200 to someone seeing as its a 32GB white one.

12. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

'twill be sold. That money will pay the upfront cost towards the next one.

How I love my 12 month iPhone contract :D

13. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

If I get the new one, the old one becomes a charitable donation to a friend.

14. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I could of swore i signed a 24 month contract but found out i only signed an 18 month one which was a good bonus for when the ip5 comes out :D

15. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

Well i got my 12 month iPhone 4 contract in the end of last august so I must have been psychic and known that the next one was going to be delayed ;)

16. Hoppesangen macrumors member

I'll be selling my white iPhone 4. I've done it since the 3G and actually made money each time haha.

17. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Got mine last September and unless the IP5 is a great change I'll wait till next summer for the IP6

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Depending on what the next refresh of the iPhone offers, I will probably just keep my 4 since I just switched from AT&T to VZW last month. However, if the iPhone 5 proves have some feature that I need to have, then I will sell my 4 on eBay and purchase the 5 w/o a contract.

19. lehite macrumors newbie

lehite

I am thinking of turning it into a media center for an old CRT TV that I have in my bedroom.

iPhone 4 + Composite AV Cable (with charging) + jailbreak + TvOutTuner (Cydia app) + XBMC (Cydia) + an iOS XBMC remote on new iPhone 5 = win

Or maybe sell it. Or keep it for another year. Whatever.

20. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Keeping mine. Waiting for iPhone 6 (or whatever they wind up calling it)

21. david.pena thread starter macrumors member

boy thats innovative and impressive. Why wouldn't you use a 3GS for that though?

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yep I'm doing the same

I don't see this years version being worth paying big money for the 4gs or 5. My contract ends next dec so will just upgrade and get the iPhone 6

23. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

What happens in the us if you want to upgrade and you have some time left on your contract? Can you pay it off at a lower rate and sign a new contract?

24. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I'm holding off until next year. Might get one for the wifey though in white, she's due for an upgrade (still has the 3G which is on it's last leg), I'll upgrade my line sometime next year.

25. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Everyone says "I'm gonna hold out" but usually never do :D

Let's wait for the phone to come out first and then make that call.

I'll be selling mine (super mint) and using that money towards the new phone. I'll end up paying the early upgrade price of $399/$499 regardless.

Well worth it. I've been doing this since the first phone, why stop now?