What will you do with your iPhone 4 when iPhone 5 comes out?

david.pena

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Just curious about what people are thinking about doing with their iPhone 4s when iPhone 5 comes out. (assuming most of us will upgrade:apple:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know how to put a signature yet so here is mine: Everything Apple

tigert07

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I'm gonna give mine to my mom. She loves the 3GS i gave her when I bought my iPhone 4, so I might as well continue the cycle.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Just curious about what people are thinking about doing with their iPhone 4s when iPhone 5 comes out. (assuming most of us will upgrade:apple:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know how to put a signature yet so here is mine: Everything Apple
If I were to upgrade to the next iteration of the iPhone, I would probably sell off the iPhone 4 and keep my 3Gs as a backup.

But in my case, I'm keeping my iPhone 4 (black) and buying an iPhone 4 white at a cheaper price when the new iPhone comes out. :)

Also, if you want an actual signature, you can go into User CP which is a button located under the 'Front Page' button at the top of the screen and then once you're in the User CP click on 'Edit Signature' on the left hand side. :)

david.pena

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
If I were to upgrade to the next iteration of the iPhone, I would probably sell off the iPhone 4 and keep my 3Gs as a backup.

But in my case, I'm keeping my iPhone 4 (black) and buying an iPhone 4 white at a cheaper price when the new iPhone comes out. :)

Also, if you want an actual signature, you can go into User CP which is a button located under the 'Front Page' button at the top of the screen and then once you're in the User CP click on 'Edit Signature' on the left hand side. :)
Thanks for telling me how to do the signature. I have a real one now:)

Why would you not buy the iPhone 5? You don't think it will be awesome. For me, I resisted iPhone 4 upgrade for the longest time and regretted delaying it so I ain't waiting this time :)

mattdo93

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2010
I'm gonna hold on to my iPhone 4 because my contract ends in February 2012. I can wait til iPhone 6. I hope...

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Ill be selling the iPhone 4, iPhone's still go for big bucks even when the next one comes out.

Guess the reason is there isnt a new handset every week like you tend to find with Android phones.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I'm going to sell mine on to cover the cost of paying the remainder of my bill which i think will be at 20£ a month. At the point of the iphone 5 release i will only have 2 months left on my contract so i can pay the 40£ off and this time i will be getting the 32gb model so i can cover that cost as well.

I should get around 250-300£ for my ip4 since it's in very good condition so i will pocket some cash from the sale too :D

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm gonna hold on to my iPhone 4 because my contract ends in February 2012. I can wait til iPhone 6. I hope...
My situation exactly.

When I get the iPhone 6, I will have my Iphone 4 encased in lucite and contribute it to the NY MOMA for display in their design exhibit. ;)

ihonda

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2009
I'm gonna give mine to my mom. She loves the 3GS i gave her when I bought my iPhone 4, so I might as well continue the cycle.
exactly what i plan to do. I'm actually gonna take the 3GS back from her and trade it in @ target or radioshack, more likely target. or try to sell it for $200 to someone seeing as its a 32GB white one.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
'twill be sold. That money will pay the upfront cost towards the next one.

How I love my 12 month iPhone contract :D
I could of swore i signed a 24 month contract but found out i only signed an 18 month one which was a good bonus for when the ip5 comes out :D

Hoppesangen

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I'll be selling my white iPhone 4. I've done it since the 3G and actually made money each time haha.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
Depending on what the next refresh of the iPhone offers, I will probably just keep my 4 since I just switched from AT&T to VZW last month. However, if the iPhone 5 proves have some feature that I need to have, then I will sell my 4 on eBay and purchase the 5 w/o a contract.

lehite

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
I am thinking of turning it into a media center for an old CRT TV that I have in my bedroom.

iPhone 4 + Composite AV Cable (with charging) + jailbreak + TvOutTuner (Cydia app) + XBMC (Cydia) + an iOS XBMC remote on new iPhone 5 = win

Or maybe sell it. Or keep it for another year. Whatever.

david.pena

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
I am thinking of turning it into a media center for an old CRT TV that I have in my bedroom.

iPhone 4 + Composite AV Cable (with charging) + jailbreak + TvOutTuner (Cydia app) + XBMC (Cydia) + an iOS XBMC remote on new iPhone 5 = win

Or maybe sell it. Or keep it for another year. Whatever.
boy thats innovative and impressive. Why wouldn't you use a 3GS for that though?

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Keeping mine. Waiting for iPhone 6 (or whatever they wind up calling it)
Yep I'm doing the same

I don't see this years version being worth paying big money for the 4gs or 5. My contract ends next dec so will just upgrade and get the iPhone 6

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
What happens in the us if you want to upgrade and you have some time left on your contract? Can you pay it off at a lower rate and sign a new contract?

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
I'm holding off until next year. Might get one for the wifey though in white, she's due for an upgrade (still has the 3G which is on it's last leg), I'll upgrade my line sometime next year.

map1978

macrumors 68020
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Everyone says "I'm gonna hold out" but usually never do :D

Let's wait for the phone to come out first and then make that call.

I'll be selling mine (super mint) and using that money towards the new phone. I'll end up paying the early upgrade price of $399/$499 regardless.

Well worth it. I've been doing this since the first phone, why stop now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.