Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I got a 3GS on a two year contract in April last year. When the iPhone 4 was announced shortly afterwards, I kicked myself, then started reading tech news websites. I won't get caught like that again!

As to what to do with the 3GS... I really don't know. I currently work nights, inside telephone exchanges. I'm shortly going to be working days, outside, getting filthy climbing telephone poles and entering manholes. Last time I did that, I destroyed two basic Nokia phones. I would't want to get a shiny new iPhone 5 broken, so I might not buy one at all. I'll probably put the work phone in a draw, put the work sim in my 3GS, and maybe get an iPod Touch 3g 128GB.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I have 2 options. Either continue to use it, or drop and break it, and have to buy a new one.

My intention is to skip the next version so I can buy a subsidized LTE model.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
As someone who has owned all four iterations of the iPhone, this could very well be the first iteration that I skip. Maybe 64GB would get me to change my mind though...

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Seeing some folks passing their old iPhones onto their kids, this could be the beginning of the end for all iPods.

iPod classics don't sell well anymore since not everyone needs 160 GB. iPod touch sales is slowing down since it just seems like overkill to have an iPhone/iPad with an iPod touch/nano at the same time. You are paying $150 for a nano or $230 for a touch that an iPhone can do the same thing and will always be carried with you. But this is how technology is. Everything runs its course. iPhone sales are "peaking" right now and look to get better.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07...7-2-year-over-year/?section=magazines_fortune

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Seeing some folks passing their old iPhones onto their kids, this could be the beginning of the end for all iPods.

iPod classics don't sell well anymore since not everyone needs 160 GB. iPod touch sales is slowing down since it just seems like overkill to have an iPhone/iPad with an iPod touch/nano at the same time. You are paying $150 for a nano or $230 for a touch that an iPhone can do the same thing and will always be carried with you. But this is how technology is. Everything runs its course. iPhone sales are "peaking" right now and look to get better.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07...7-2-year-over-year/?section=magazines_fortune

I absolutely REFUSE to purchase an iPod until Apple finally puts in a long overdue $5 gps receiver in it. Might as well just buy an iPhone 3Gs off of craigslist for the same price as a new iPod touch and use it as a no-contract device :rolleyes:

flipnotik

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
Going straight to my little brother. From the 1st gen iPhone to the 3gs, he's been the benefactor in all my old iPhones haha.

rush1869

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
nothing

i love how every1 is all over the iPhone 5, I'm gonna hold off till the iPhone 6 :apple: or whatever the iPhone after the 5 is called, rumors of wireless charging and so on, plus it will prob come out some time when my phone contract is up

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Ill be selling the iPhone 4, iPhone's still go for big bucks even when the next one comes out.

Guess the reason is there isnt a new handset every week like you tend to find with Android phones.

This is true and was annoying when my wife and son bought their Droid Eris, less than 6 months later is was discontinued and the new phones came out, but they were stuck into a two year contract.

Perfect reason why I think Apple's refresh cycle is fair, why produce a new product then come out with another and another etc within a year, Apple has this one right.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
I only just got it so I'm keeping it. Year-to-year upgrades on something so expensive isn't at all necessary. I will upgrade when they increase the screen size though, as it would be a significant change (still not to the 5 if that turns out to be the case).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.