What would convince you to upgrade to a new Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Night Spring, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So there's been a lot of speculation about what features the expected 2nd generation iPod touch might have, and what the price might be, but I'm wondering how present Touch owners feel about replacing their current Touch with the new model.

So do you:
    1) Plan to buy the new model no matter what.
    2) Will buy it if it has XYZ features -- name what features would convince you to upgrade.
    3) Will buy it if it is priced at $### -- name your price!
    4) Plan to stick it out with the present model for the forseeable future.

Looking forward to hear what people think!

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

The second a new one is introduced/updated/price-dropped I am placing my order.

I have the money waiting.

I couldn't see buying one in August if there is going to be something new (hopefully) in early September.

3. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

If they dropped the price on the 32GB, introduced built-in speakers and volume control, I would probably bite.

4. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

The only reason I would upgrade my 16gb model is if there was an integrated speaker like the iPhone. Really, thats the only thing I care about. I'd love to be able to listen to music and show off youtube videos to other people without them having to pop in headphones.

5. Strategy macrumors member

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Agree with the inbuilt speakers and the exterior volume control. If they introduced those features to the iPod touch I'd get one and sell my iPhone.

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It would have to have bluetooth, including support for keyboards. Then tweak the UI a bit. Make settings that affect music or video playback available right in those players.

8. ErstO macrumors newbie

have decided months ago to upgrade my old white 30g iPod. its one of the old monochrome ones ;)

seing how much memory is now in the touch, I feel going that route makes more sense then sticking with the classic line.

9. Akachris1 macrumors newbie

Can't see a speaker on the new one, Apple receives royalties every time a third-party company sells speakers for an ipod, they make more money this way.

10. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i understand people want speakers but I am still wondering why. Its not like you can play it at a party or something..and everyone can hear it. it will sound like music played from a phone...it can never be compared to a true speaker system with bass and such. I would much rather have a video camera or just camera then speakers.

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Speakers make sense if the player also has a mic and voice recording. They make sense if the device has FM, as a simple speaker can easily be as good as old FM radios had in them. No, that speaker won't give your the same experience as your headphones will, but having a speaker does not keep you from using those headphones when you want.

I personally don't need a speaker. I've got one on my Instinct phone, and a couple of the little Chinese-made players I have. Never use them. A more useful feature I find on my Insignia Pilot is dual headphone jacks. If I want to share a song with someone else, I can let them plug their headphones in and listen at the same time I listen.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

I don't really see any hope in additional hardware features; everything is in the software or in the 1G hardware. Seeing as the iPhone didn't get anything huge other than GPS, I won't expect much else in the iPod. It'll take a lot to get me to upgrade, so I'll probably be keeping the original one.

13. 150hp macrumors regular

14. Strategy macrumors member

I wouldnt use it for the music. Mainly for the games without having to wear headphones and the stupid but fun apps like phonesaber.

15. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Since I doubt Apple will give me what I want [seek buttons, 64GB capacity and speaker]..I'm more looking forward to the nano and classic releases this year.

16. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

I will only convert to an iTouch from a classic, if it has more then 100gigs of space.

Not likely.

17. Flobber88 macrumors regular

GPS and 16 gig base model for $299.

Camera would make it a bonus.

Though if they don't do much in terms of an upgrade, I'll still be buying one.:D

18. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

I'd only buy a new one if my current iPod fell apart or they added a camera and a lower price point.

19. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

20. Podgie macrumors newbie

Podgie

The fact that I want one and dont have one and I am waiting for the new ones to come out? :p

21. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've reconsidered. What would convince me?

a) My current Touch would have to die.
    b) There is no "b". See "a".

And... Hey everyone! Have a great Sunday!

22. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Affordable 128 GB. I'll be waiting a long time, I guess, but my 16 GB is fine for now.

23. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Either a price drop across the line or a storage/price reshuffle.

The current Touch has everything I want in my next iPod so it'll be the price of the range I'll be paying the most attention to next month.

24. nintendude macrumors 6502

I'd love the next gen touch to have a mic, speaker, and external volume controls. A GPS and/or camera would be a nice bonus.

25. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

That won't happen.

Go buy a iPhone if you want those features.