Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Well, I'm still saving money for the Quad Core Mac Pro (Nehalem).

Then I was thinking, if they update it, what would Apple change the Mac Pro?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
The main speculation is around the introduction of the 6 core Xeons. However we don't know if these will replace the current 4 core Xeons or just be an addition to the range or how Apple will utilize them. Remember Apple's configurations bow to marketing. This wouldn't happen until next year. Intel may also alter the price and clock speed of the single quad core processors so Apple might offer slightly faster processors for the same money. It's not really a huge amount to get excited about for most people. More a value for money thing.

Newer graphics card options are all but guaranteed. Another change might be memory slots, but I would think the most that could be hoped for is 9 on the dual socket so its all triple channel.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
1. eSATA ports
2. Make all SATA ports hot-plug capable

There's no reason as to why you can't buy a backplate with eSata sockets and plugging them into the ODD_SATA ports.

prometheus-sata-to-esata-01-20090905-005823.jpg

might need longer cables... but it's doable.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Aren't those not hot-pluggable? Also, what if you want more than two? Also, what if you're using those SATA ports? I run both of my optical drives from them.

That said, more hard drive bays. It'd be okay if some of them were 2.5" instead of 3.5".

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
1. eSATA ports
2. Make all SATA ports hot-plug capable
Don't forget hot swappable either. ;)

There's no reason as to why you can't buy a backplate with eSata sockets and plugging them into the ODD_SATA ports.

might need longer cables... but it's doable.
Technically, yes they'll work, but they have limits (system, not the bracket/s).

1. NOT Hot Pluggable (the PSU does NOT support this; no inrush current limiter circuit)
2. NOT Hot Swappable (it's an option in the eSATA spec <software support>, and not included in the client version of OS X. Only in the Server edition).

Hot swap capability can be added via an eSATA card, as the software portion can be included in it's drivers (check specs). Hot plugging can be handled by using external enclosures with their own PSU's. Or in the case of RAID, backplane adapters that have the inrush current limiters added to them (again, software support is added to the RAID card drivers).

For example, the CalDigit RAID card you use has the hot swap support in it's drivers, and the HDElement supports hot plugging. But it will NOT work with internal drives attached to the card, as they're still connected to the system PSU (power is separate, and not passed through the card, so no inrush current limiter is added to the internal drives). :(

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
Give this expensive machine quality fans instead china crap.
I hate my Mac Pro in the middle of the night, it sounds like a fridge or diesel engine. Still quiet tho, but not as quiet as it could be.

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Give this expensive machine quality fans instead china crap.
I hate my Mac Pro in the middle of the night, it sounds like a fridge or diesel engine. Still quiet tho, but not as quiet as it could be.

haha well my macbook is probably 10 times more louder.
Hows the nehalem 2.66 Quad Core? Is it fast cause I'm looking into buying that machine.

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
haha well my macbook is probably 10 times more louder.
Hows the nehalem 2.66 Quad Core? Is it fast cause I'm looking into buying that machine.

Its fast - ridiculous fast for everyday work.
I'm no pro user, just that everyday-guy playing around with Photoshop, iMovie, iWork and WoW / CoD4 :eek:
My Mac Pro is usually bored with the tasks given to him :D

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Its fast - ridiculous fast for everyday work.
I'm no pro user, just that everyday-guy playing around with Photoshop, iMovie, iWork and WoW / CoD4 :eek:
My Mac Pro is usually bored with the tasks given to him :D

Thats awesome. I guess it'll be okay for me. I do heavy photoshopping and probably will be doing Full HD editing.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Another "layer" of drive bays, for a total of 8.

Logical number of RAM slots (6 for quad core, 12 for eight core)

eSATA

more PCIe power plugs.

Nater

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
First off, the systems need more DIMM slots. Nehalem systems are supposed to have their memory installed in sets of three because of the triple channel memory controller. The Mac Pro systems have four and eight respectively.

Only the very cheapest single socket LGA 1366 motherboards have four DIMM slots and I've yet to see a dual socket board that has less than twelve of them. The Mac Pro's memory subsystem shouldn't be crippled. It's not a big performance hit, but it's not how it should be.

The motherboards for both machines need basic RAID functionality integrated, as far as I know they do not. The X58/5520 chipset supports RAID 0, 1, 10 and 5. Even RAID 0 and 1 would be fine. That way you could run a pair of SSDs in 0 for the operating system and applications drive.

More drive bays. Four drive bays isn't enough. You should have at least six of them in a high-end workstation. Maybe two 2.5" bays for SSDs and then four 3.5" for regular hard drives. I'd have no problem if they dropped one of the 5.25" bays for more hard drive bays.

eSATA is a must. It's the best available external storage interface around. Right now most hard drives aren't fast enough to saturate 1394b but it won't be long before they do. It'll be a lot time before they can clog SATA 3Gb/s, let alone the forthcoming 6Gb/s standard.

Better GPU options are needed, especially at the lowend. The GT120 is a pretty weak GPU, probably doesn't even have enough frame buffer to drive two 30" panels with a lot of heavy applications open. There also needs to be an option for something like a Quadro FX 4800 or CX.

A Blu-Ray option wouldn't be bad. 25GB BD-Rs are starting to be a pretty decent way of backing up large amounts of data.

A case redesign wouldn't be a bad idea either. This one is getting pretty long in the tooth. It's not a bad design, but it could be better.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Actually the MP just needs five more SATA ports. Two of those wired for eSATA (1 front, 1 rear) and four for an Addonics type enclosure option in the second drive bay but with side access when the cover is opened.

The SW Raid facility isn't bad at all but it needs to work for Bootcamp as well.

So with that kind of resources you can run OS X and Windows from an SSD array, have 8 TB HDD capacity and two fast lines for external backup.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Actually the MP just needs five more SATA ports. Two of those wired for eSATA (1 front, 1 rear) and four for an Addonics type enclosure option in the second drive bay but with side access when the cover is opened.

The SW Raid facility isn't bad at all but it needs to work for Bootcamp as well.

So with that kind of resources you can run OS X and Windows from an SSD array, have 8 TB HDD capacity and two fast lines for external backup.
It would be nice, but I don't see them adding an additional pair of SATA controllers (4 port for the internal group, and a 2 port for the externals). Allowing firmware access to them would be a good idea as well to create arrays (definitely would help with windows). ;)

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
30% price reduction.

I was going to say essentially the same thing.
Drop the price.

Yes! Yes! YES!!!

Prices currently are just stupid for what they're offering!

Colored plastics. Please, God, colored plastics!!
G3/G4 design fanatic. :D

OMG, I hope not! The one thing the MacPro has going for it is that the case is uniquely rugged and robust. You almost can't buy one equivalent via 3rd parties. And you want to replace that with cheap goofy colored plastics that turn yellow and brittle over time? That's just nuts! :p

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
You almost can't buy one equivalent via 3rd parties. And you want to replace that with cheap goofy colored plastics that turn yellow and brittle over time? That's just nuts! :p
Good thing you said "almost". ;) Lian Li fits the bill. :D A couple of others, but they pale in comparison, and therefore slip my mind. :p

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Another "layer" of drive bays, for a total of 8.

Logical number of RAM slots (6 for quad core, 12 for eight core)

eSATA

more PCIe power plugs.

At least one 2.5" drive bay for an SSD. Apple does this on the Xserves I don't know why they can't do it on the Pro.
When I think of things tht I would like to see and what would make me ditch my current MP, these are the things I'd like.

What would drive me away would be colored plastics and the continual lack of GPU options (unless you're willing to pay above market for an upgrade option).

Price reductions aren't bad but I tend to believe the prices aren't geared towards those who won't use the power. A mid range tower, a headless iMac if you will, is a good idea that we'll likely not see.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Good thing you said "almost". ;) Lian Li fits the bill. :D A couple of others, but they pale in comparison, and therefore slip my mind. :p

Actually I've looked at these now and they don't cut the mustard! They are still inferior to the Apple case. They're tin and a very typical gauge of tin. The Apple cases are 4mm thick-walled aluminum. Take your Mac Pro removable side-panel down to the store with you next time you go and you'll not find a case (that I know of) made of such thick material nor likely as durable.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Actually I've looked at these now and they don't cut the mustard! They are still inferior to the Apple case. They're tin and a very typical gauge of tin. The Apple cases are 4mm thick-walled aluminum. Take your Mac Pro removable side-panel down to the store with you next time you go and you'll not find a case (that I know of) made of such thick material nor likely as durable.
:eek: How dare you call my case tin. :eek: It's aluminum. Really. :p

The side panels are 2.5mm though, and the thing still weighs over 22lbs empty. They're actually quite good (very well laid out, including cooling), and they're the thickest 3rd party out these days. I know for a fact it's heavier gauge than a Silver Stone's panels. ;)

Some decent steel ones as well, but too many of them are heavy on the plastic and LED's, including the fans. Yuck. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.