What would you choose 13" or 11" MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Frosteric901, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Frosteric901 macrumors newbie

So I have decided to purchase a MacBook air basically as a secondary coomputer to my rMPR 15. It will accompany me to uni everyday. Now I am leaning towards the 11 for portability reasons but the 13 which is still very portable has that 12 hour battery life as opposed to 9 hrs on the 11.
    So if you guys had a choice what size and configuration would you choose?

2. Serban Suspended

3. Frosteric901 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes except that is only a rumor and if we know anything about Apple it's that they generally don't hold true to rumors

4. Serban Suspended

iphone 5 rumors or iphone 6 or 5k imac or apple watch or ipad rumors not all come true ?? what are you thinking?
    especially now that components are going to the manufacture to be build

5. motrek macrumors 68020

I have a desktop computer at home with a huge monitor, keyboard, mouse, nice speakers, etc.

Thus I don't need my laptop to be a desktop replacement. I need a laptop for the times when I need a portable computer, i.e., emphasis on portable. That's why I went with the 11" and would never consider anything as big as the 13". I have had 13" MacBooks in the past and felt they were much too big even at the time, before the MBA was released.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I chose the 13" because when test driving them both the 13" was more to my liking.

7. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

As a one-computer person, I wouldn't want to work with two laptops. Have you considered replacing the 15" rMBP with a 13" rMBP? Is there anything in particular you need a larger, four core machine for?

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Depends on what you need it for at university. The is a lot more screen estate on the 13", and it is still quite portable.

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

There are many, many threads on this same topic… But I had a 13" MBA for two years and switched to an 11". Best move I ever made. The 13 is great, but the 11 is really special. That seemingly small difference is size/weight is more significant than you might think. It is perfect for travel, just the right size for the seat tray on a plane. You can carry it around all day and never even know it's there.

Back home, I use a big screen and external keyboard when I need it. But this is all such a personal decision, nobody can tell you what is best. You need to decide for yourself.

10. Frosteric901 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so with that in mind how is the battery life in the 11 I mean Apple says 9 hours but how's real world use from your experience?

----------

It's my main machine I use at home for photo editing vids browsing and assignments atm also it's such a beautiful machine I cannot sell it ever

11. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I can get 10+ hours with sensible conservation measures. Last summer I enjoyed sitting on the porch on a sunny day watching movies. With the screen at full brightness, watching a movie from my iTunes server using 802.11ac wifi, I could get over 5 hours.

I guess the new 13 has better battery life, but I upgraded from a 2011 13" MBA, and my 2013 11" MBA has much, much longer run time.

12. SusanK macrumors 68000

13. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

14. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

So stick with it then. Why buy another laptop? Is 15" rMBP reallly so big that it can't be taken outside of the house?

Life is a lot easier with a single laptop, whichever one best fits your needs.

15. John marts macrumors member

11' which is what I went with. The 13' feels too big and too much like a regular macbook to me. I feel that the 11' model fits MUCH better with that "air" feel.

16. Handle macrumors regular

You must be one big sissy girl :D

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent and well argued post which sums up very well why the 11" is such an excellent computer.

For portability, nothing beats either of the Airs (and I have had both). I used to have a 15" MBP, which was a lovely, powerful computer, but I found it too big, and heavy to be comfortable as a travelling companion. If you need portability - and I do, I travel a lot, and yet need a powerful but fast computer - nothing, but nothing touches the MBA.

Both the 13" and 11" are excellent if you need portability; the 13" has a larger screen and better battery life - it is a perfect machine should you wish to have only one computer. However, for uber-portability, the 11" is outstanding - and is a sharp, fast, powerful computer, too. You will get a day's work - six-eight hours - out of either, on the battery.

I have to say that I just love the witless tendency of some posters to equate idiotic - and patronising - adjectives with being female.

On computers, weight matters, especially when travelling; the MBA is superbly designed to be an utterly reliable, fast, powerful, workhorse for people who live life on the move.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

13", as anything smaller will cause me to migrate to another device. 11" is out of the question for me.:confused:

19. aquilc, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

aquilc macrumors member

Depends on your needs and budget.

The models have identical specs (stock models), except for screen size and battery longevity between charges.

13" also holds a bit higher price tag with the difference of a slightly bigger size (2") and 12hrs instead of 9hrs battery. 2" wider wouldn't be bulkier than the 11", beside the MacBook air was designed for portability, so I would choose the 13" size with the 256GB SSD over the 11", besides there's only $300 difference between the lowest and the highest MacBook Air Modes (from US Apple Store), considering the larger 128GB storage and longer battery (additional 3hrs).

If you're not in a hurry, you should wait for the 12" (will be fanless, and rumoured to have a retina display). I'm pretty confident that it will be fanless since Lenovo already released a fanless ultrabook, I'm a bit surprised that Apple didn't release such an ultrabook first.

I read reviews about the Yoga 3 Pro, and I'm not impressed regarding performance and design, but I'm sure that Apple won't disappoint regarding the performance.

20. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I've had both the 13" and 11" MacBook Air's (and coincidentally both Mid-2012 models) and I prefer using the 11". It's a smaller, more portable notebook and honestly I don't miss the larger screen at all. If you're buying it as a secondary computer it's a no brainer. If I was buying a 13" notebook, I'd go straight for the Retina Pro. I had one earlier this year and it was gorgeous. The price difference is worth it IMO.

21. motrek macrumors 68020

The idea that Core M can be fanless turned out to be some over-eagerness in Intel's marketing department. Not only does the Yoga 3 have a fan, it gets loud, and performance still sucks:

http://ultrabooknews.com/2014/10/16...erformance-tests-reveal-throttling-fan-noise/

Wouldn't bet on a fanless MacBook for another few years still. Not even really sure why this would be attractive either.

If you're annoyed by fan noise from the current MacBook, it means you are stressing out the processor. Would you rather it be quiet but much slower?

22. Ender17 macrumors regular

I prefer the 13" especially with the additional vertical space due to 16:10 aspect ratio

23. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I had an 11" up until October when I moved to a rMBP 13. I do love the rMBP but I do miss the small size and weight of the 11" Air. Since this is a supplement to your 15 rMBP, I'd get the 11 if I were you.

24. bandrews macrumors 6502a

11". The MBA is all about portability. The 13" is too close in price, size and weight to the RMBP. Just got an 11" so I can edit in Lightroom away from my iMac. 13" was just a bit too big to take with me anywhere without thinking.
    Would question the need for two laptops though. Is there a sweet spot you could hit so you could manage with one then maybe hook up to a display at home?