Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I faced this dilemma some months ago.
My goal was to replace my Laptops and my Tablets, i.e. the new device should be portable and powerful.
I have checked both. I had my prejudice, but was surprised how the 11" was much better to hold, to work with.
I would pick it up anytime, anywhere and start working, surfing etc.
As I watch movies frequently the 16:9 ratio is ideal for me, like the slightly better display as well (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30T_ujbBkuw).

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
air = no retina screen = dont buy.

buy macbook pro 13".

Maybe my eyesight is so poor, but I have compared a couple of times Air with MBP in the Apple store and I was not blown away. Yes, the retina looks a tick nicer but it's not like you see every pixel on the Air screen either. IMHO people are overhyping the retina screens.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Initially this was something I wa scared about dealing with as I never had much hands on experience with the 11" but after a few days of adjusting I'm used to it now. I have my dock on the left side of the screen and I have my windows stretched out and it's decent. Truth be told I bought the 11" because it was only $600 refurbished from Apple but I really do enjoy it.

Congratulations, great to hear you're enjoying it.

I celebrate that Apple gives us choices.

The very best MacBook Air is the one_you_ like :)

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Maybe my eyesight is so poor, but I have compared a couple of times Air with MBP in the Apple store and I was not blown away. Yes, the retina looks a tick nicer but it's not like you see every pixel on the Air screen either. IMHO people are overhyping the retina screens.

I think your eyesight is more than ok. :)
And you have a point.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
I know neither size is a "perfect" option but I love how light and tiny the 11" is, carried around in a sleeve with handles, it's basically like traveling with an iPad 2, except with a keyboard and a full OS. The smaller screen and font factors can be adjusted and/or you get used to it really quickly. I think if people who think an 11" is too small were able to "test drive" it for a couple of days they would grow to love it.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
I know neither size is a "perfect" option but I love how light and tiny the 11" is, carried around in a sleeve with handles, it's basically like traveling with an iPad 2, except with a keyboard and a full OS. The smaller screen and font factors can be adjusted and/or you get used to it really quickly. I think if people who think an 11" is too small were able to "test drive" it for a couple of days they would grow to love it.

I share your opinion absolutely. It's a Laptop and a Tablet in one.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA

I agree that Retina, nothing more than Apple labeling a conventional high res display with another one of their clever labels, is grossly over Hyped.

First by Apple, then echoed by their cult like following.

That said, as one who has used ultra high resolution displays for years in our engineering lab, they're very nice but not the Holy Grail.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
One drawback of the 11" that was (I believe) not mentioned here yet is the lack of an SD card slot - bad because that this nice to download pictures from a camera but more importantly a cheap way to increase the storage. I was sitting on the fence for a long time between 11 and 13 but I made the right choice, the portability of this thing is just mind-blowing for a 'grown up PC'

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
One drawback of the 11" that was (I believe) not mentioned here yet is the lack of an SD card slot - bad because that this nice to download pictures from a camera but more importantly a cheap way to increase the storage. I was sitting on the fence for a long time between 11 and 13 but I made the right choice, the portability of this thing is just mind-blowing for a 'grown up PC'

Yes, it maybe a problem for many.
To be very honest with you for me it was not absolutely important as I always connect my Nikon directly and using Nikon Transfer 2.
What concerns the cheap way to increase storage. Well, it is not an ideal solution at least for me:

...when you sleep a new Macbook Air it goes into regular sleep for three hours, then enters a "deep sleep" or hibernate mode that uses far less battery power than regular sleep mode does. If you have a SD card inserted it will prevent the Air from entering hibernate mode and the battery will run down faster when the machine is asleep.

Regular sleep mode uses about 1% battery per hour of sleep, while hibernate mode can last up to 30 days on battery power. So you can see how having the SD card in would make a big difference.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1621757/

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Yes, it maybe a problem for many.
To be very honest with you for me it was not absolutely important as I always connect my Nikon directly and using Nikon Transfer 2.
What concerns the cheap way to increase storage. Well, it is not an ideal solution at least for me:

A cheap way to increase storage is to move your less-frequently-used files to an external hard drive.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That was my concern as well. But on my 11" MBA, I have 2 options that I use....

64GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit - low profile USB drive that can remain inserted in the MBA with minimal protrusion.

elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader - a low profile USB adapter for microSD cards. Although the description says 32GB is the max, I'm using a 64GB card without any problems. This too can remain inserted.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
That was my concern as well. But on my 11" MBA, I have 2 options that I use....

64GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit - low profile USB drive that can remain inserted in the MBA with minimal protrusion.

elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader - a low profile USB adapter for microSD cards. Although the description says 32GB is the max, I'm using a 64GB card without any problems. This too can remain inserted.

Thanks for sharing, I had not seen that Elago drive before. For the SanDisk I would recommend going for the newer USB 3.0 version:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...F8&qid=1420335334&sr=1-6&keywords=sandisk+3.0

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Thanks for sharing, I had not seen that Elago drive before. For the SanDisk I would recommend going for the newer USB 3.0 version:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...F8&qid=1420335334&sr=1-6&keywords=sandisk+3.0
I just received the newer SanDisk 3.0 version 2 days ago. I'm not a fan. Not only does it protrude MORE than the 2.0 version that I linked, the ends of that arced edge don't sit flush against the body of the MBA causing it to act like 2 hooks that snag on things.

Very poor design. I'm keeping the 3.0 version, but I'm not using it on my MBA.

febahadir

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2015
Turkey
I both used MacBook Air 11" and 13". My eyes are not good at 11" model. So I sold it and bought 13" model. I upgraded on top specifications and I use it. I like its screen and battery life as well.

VTPete

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
I love my late 2010 11" CTO edition. I'm a computer professional and have used just about every MacBook out there.

But, sitting here in my reclining chair, I'm typing on my old 11" Air. I bought it after having trouble with a 13" fitting comfortably in my seat on an airplane. The 11 is all about portability and it's my go to choice for just about everything except long hours of development, video editing or gaming.

I recently bought my Mom a 13" because she travels less. It was a perfect fit for her life style and as other people have mentioned, it has some advantages over the 11".

As for retina screens, I too have found them over hyped a bit. My 11" screen is still fantastically bright, clear and non-reflective. Until Apple does something about the glare on those ultra-glossy retina screens, I'm sticking with my old screens.

When the 12" comes out, I'll be the first in line to test it. If they've reduced the bezel size and managed to fit a 12" into the form factor of the current 11", I'll jump for joy. If they throw in a retina screen, but it's all glossy and reflective I'll be disappointed.

Ultimately this is your choice and yours alone. My final advice is to simply borrow a friends for a while if possible. Even if it's just for 15 minutes for web browsing; it will teach you a lot. Good luck!

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
13" for work, 11" for play. But if you're get a computer just for play, then get an iPad and save yourself $500.

That's not the golden rule, but that's my thoughts on the matter. It might be that you want a smaller computer.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
13" for work, 11" for play. But if you're get a computer just for play, then get an iPad and save yourself $500.

That's not the golden rule, but that's my thoughts on the matter. It might be that you want a smaller computer.

You can do work just fine on the 11" and it's more portable.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Why is this thread going on so long?
11" and 13" are the same except for the SD slot and size/weight.
Pick what you need and that's it.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
I just received the newer SanDisk 3.0 version 2 days ago. I'm not a fan. Not only does it protrude MORE than the 2.0 version that I linked, the ends of that arced edge don't sit flush against the body of the MBA causing it to act like 2 hooks that snag on things.

Very poor design. I'm keeping the 3.0 version, but I'm not using it on my MBA.

Interesting to know (I have not had one in hand yet). The day I need a small USB I will look elsewhere then. But it has to be usb3, the speed difference is huge!

One small USB that I have been very happy with is the Intenso in the link below. Exactly the same size and shape as these nano receivers from Logitech (note aside: more than once I have plugged them in and got annoyed at the mouse because it did not work until I realised my mistake...). Unfortunately no usb3 version of this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intenso-350...=1420458808&sr=8-4&keywords=intenso+usb+small

Last edited:

AirJordanFan93

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
I entertained the notion of getting a 11" but ultimately went with the 13". The 11" was just a little too small for my liking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.