Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aa521490

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2007
Since this phone is the most expensive phone ever. What would you guys do in a situation where you were lets say at a mall or somewhere in public and a stranger asks if he can use your phone to make a quick call due to an emergency. What would you do?

I'm especially curious to know what you caseless and naked iphone xs max users would do.
Run away.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Depends on how hot she is

Lol. I would actually be wary if she was hot. Never know.

Id be trusting if they were old tbh. I’d probably do it. How far could a 70 year go with my phone?

If they’re young, like 25, no way!

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
We live in such a different, almost sad world where we can no longer completely trust a stranger in need to make a dang phone call.

I’m sure in the good ol says when people felt safe to leave their doors unlocked at night they didn’t have to worry so much.

Ugh.

Reactions: Dyn-tec

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
No one has ever asked to use any of my iPhones other than my family. If a random person did ask, I’d probably make the call for them in an emergency.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
That 70 year old could toss it to their 25 year old track star friend.

LOL!

Gosh that sounds like a vine or something.

I would feel so played.
[doublepost=1537750593][/doublepost]I would like to see a youtube video where someone goes around asking people to use their iPhone XS MAX gold iPhone and just see the reactions.

512GB would be ideal, but there would be no way of really knowing lol

Reactions: Cape Dave

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
What a silly question. Who on earth would hand over their iPhone (naked or cased) to a complete stranger, if it’s a real emergency I would make a call for them on speaker - but still hold it far enough away that they couldn’t just snatch it and run.

What kind of an idiot would hand over their phone to anyone??? Seriously.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Good compromise is to offer to make the call for them and relay the message. If they refuse then tough luck.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
I don’t exactly come across as the warm and fuzzy type. I would not be asked.
This.
I may be fuzzy (bearded) but people do not ask me things like this, at least not strangers.

And honestly if there IS an actual emergency around.. most likely i'd be calling anyway. Personal emergency? GTFO.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
A few years ago, when iPhone 6 was the latest—I had a boss who left the bar drunk and someone came up to him asking if they could make a phone call. He said, as long as you don’t run off with it.

The guy ran off with it.

A couple of months ago, I was at the train station buying a metro ticket when this guy came up and asked if he could use my phone. I promptly put it in my bag and ignored him. After a few more asks, I felt bad I’m ignoring him but still didn’t feel comfortable so I told him no (facing him vs before, the ticket machine) and he attempted to reach into my bag to steal the phone. He was super quick.

His hand was in my bag before I could react and I screamed + closed my bag (yes’m it was unzipped, my first mistake, second was acknowledging him) around his arm and he eventually pulled out his hand sans the phone.

As he was running away he yells something I can’t remember word for word but essentially something along the lines of I brought it upon myself because I wouldn’t let him use my phone.

I’ve recovered from my initial shock of him sticking his hand in my bag so I yelled back at him, “and if I let you use my phone you wouldn’t try to run away with it when you just f**king tried to steal it from my bag?!”.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
^damn.. Make a scene if someone keeps hounding you and gets close..
--
As long as the person didn't see you call someone.. you could always say you can't afford to have the cell plan right now, it's just for music and notes for shopping unless you find free wifi to text.
a "no" may not discourage the person, a longer answer will make them lose interest. (if they intended to steal the phone) If they want to steal it, they want a quick easy theft.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
It was the iPhone X (I just turned that phone in for a xs max via upgrade).

I was very surprised and glad he ended up running away after a few moments of struggle because that station was relatively empty or so I thought. Didn’t include this in my original post but as I was going through the ticket gates after (this is Bart if anyone knows SF) I see the door is wide open in the agent booth and the lady is just sitting there nonchalantly eating her chips and m&ms with her phone watching some video. There’s no way she didn’t hear the whole interaction and when I confronted her she pretty much admitted to such and was saying, “what, do you want me to call the bart police? Because I can”

The bright side is I’ve become more aware and I don’t use my phone as freely..just last week I was on Bart and someone yepped, follow by a guy who zoomed out the Bart doors and up the stairs.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Good compromise is to offer to make the call for them and relay the message. If they refuse then tough luck.

This is what I would do. I am not handing my phone to a random person even if it was a cheaper one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Never allow someone use your phone unless you are completely confident and feel comfortable doing so with the individual. It’s just too risky under the circumstances with a complete stranger.

PN4

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
CHS
I've actually had this happen where someone asked to use my phone because theirs was dead and their friend wasn't turning up. I told them I would make the call for them and put it on speakerphone so they could talk. Obviously wouldn't work in a crowded noisy place, but even more reason to not hand someone your unlocked $1100 handheld computer.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I’d offer to dial the number for him. Then I’d give him one of my waxy AirPods so he can continue the call. :)

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Most answers here amount to Gollum's "My Precious"! :D

rotk2266_zpsc90c154b.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.