Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
so nothiing else?

should i sell my imac for hopefully $1100 and then with $2300 buy a mac pro?

or just keep my imac and just save the money for awhile? (which i'm very bad at saving money)

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
i'd save it for now until you have something you really want, rather than spending it now just because.

maybe save it until the rev b mac pro comes out, with better specs and blah blah blah.. and then sell your iMac and buy that?

seems like your current set up is working just fine for you, so why change it up? hold on to the cash until something better comes along, when your current set up might be more in need of an upgrade.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Bibulous said:
Forget about tech, take her on a nice weekend trip.

well i should do that also, but it just won't happen. we are both here at college, and are both on the cross-country team (and we actually have a race at the university of Tennessee). so that's the only trip this weekend.

you are right, i do need to do something for her

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
xfiftyfour said:
i'd save it for now until you have something you really want, rather than spending it now just because.

maybe save it until the rev b mac pro comes out, with better specs and blah blah blah.. and then sell your iMac and buy that?

seems like your current set up is working just fine for you, so why change it up? hold on to the cash until something better comes along, when your current set up might be more in need of an upgrade.

the only thing is that my imac will only continue to lose it's value. but there's nothing wrong with it, expect i have 5-6 external hard drives because it only holds 1 hard drive.

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
the new sony XBR 2 SXRD is 1080p input capable
And pioneer has a plasma that is also
hell id be happy with a 720p pioneer elite plasma they're around 2500
but ill live with my 720p LCOS

theyre really isnt much of a difference between 720p and 1080p if you ask the women they just say
" Yeah it looks really good! " and you ask what about compared to the 1080p and its
"i guess it looks better" not $2000 dollars better they're thinking though

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
i have to agree take your girlfreind out for the weekend have some fun
then monday in class find yourself whistling this song

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
ChrisBrightwell said:
Yes!

Definitely Save it?

Don't let it burn a whole in your pocket...seems like you are quite satified with what you have now...I know I would be.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
twoodcc said:
the only thing is that my imac will only continue to lose it's value. but there's nothing wrong with it, expect i have 5-6 external hard drives because it only holds 1 hard drive.
well of course it will - that's true of any computer. does that mean you should sell each of your computers 3 months after you get them? no, of course not. use your computers, get your money's worth, and once they're no longer meeting your needs, sell them.

but, i mean, that's just my 2 cents. of course if you sold your iMac and bought a Mac Pro you'll be VERY happy.. no doubt! i just think that you should wait until you need a new computer, rather than taking a hit now, when you don't.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Old Smuggler said:
the new sony XBR 2 SXRD is 1080p input capable
And pioneer has a plasma that is also
hell id be happy with a 720p pioneer elite plasma they're around 2500
but ill live with my 720p LCOS

theyre really isnt much of a difference between 720p and 1080p if you ask the women they just say
" Yeah it looks really good! " and you ask what about compared to the 1080p and its
"i guess it looks better" not $2000 dollars better they're thinking though

how much was yours?

is there a good HDTV for around $1200 or less out there?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
xfiftyfour said:
well of course it will - that's true of any computer. does that mean you should sell each of your computers 3 months after you get them? no, of course not. use your computers, get your money's worth, and once they're no longer meeting your needs, sell them.

but, i mean, that's just my 2 cents. of course if you sold your iMac and bought a Mac Pro you'll be VERY happy.. no doubt! i just think that you should wait until you need a new computer, rather than taking a hit now, when you don't.

i agree with what you're saying, but it just depends on how you look at it. since i'm selling my powerbook, i feel that i should put that money towards a computer or something similar b/c i originally spent that money on a powerbook, so that's where the new money should go.

also, i might not 'really' need a mac pro, but i can say that the imac isn't really meeting my needs. right now it's compressing a movie and it's taking 397 minutes for a 120 minute video clip.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
twoodcc said:
also, i might not 'really' need a mac pro, but i can say that the imac isn't really meeting my needs. right now it's compressing a movie and it's taking 397 minutes for a 120 minute video clip.
well, that part i didn't know. if the iMac isn't doing it for ya, then absolutely, sell it, add in the $1200, and upgrade.

i was under the assumption that for now, the iMac was doing great for ya, in which case it seemed silly to jump the gun and upgrade just yet. but if that's not so, then scrap what i said and go for a MP.

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Personally if I had the stuff you have I'd save it. You say you can't so here's what I'd do:

Buy a DS lite with a few games
Buy a nice TV
Save up for a mac pro if I'd use it (I am a portable guy and can't sit at a desk though)
Get the dream computer you've always wanted. For two years, I wanted a tibook even though I didn't need one. I have one now. It was worth it.
Invest in a motorcycle (hey, I want one)
Take a vacation
Throw a really big party
Go play some poker (ok, again, that is something I would do)
Buy your girlfriend something and win some points (but who would want to do that?)

Either way, you have lots of options. Saving is my prefered one, but that's because I'm a penny pincher!

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
my wife swore up and down that we didnt need to spend 3 grand on a HDTV but almost a year later i asked her if she wanted to go back to her 27 inch zenith that you had to hit to get the color to come back on she said "Um.....No! i said once you go big you never go back ;)
at least i wont have to buy glasses any time soon
i dont even try to watch the 13 inch in the bedroom it just hurts my eyes "literally"

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
i want to save my money and take the family on a trip to europe in a year or two
germany ireland france and uh hold on a minute honey i gotta stop in amsterdam for something

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
twoodcc said:
well of course i want one, but i've only got $1200.

and there might be an 8-core one soon

I wouldnt be on this. At least not within the next 6-8 months.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
twoodcc said:
well i should do that also, but it just won't happen. we are both here at college, and are both on the cross-country team (and we actually have a race at the university of Tennessee). so that's the only trip this weekend.

you are right, i do need to do something for her

Tell me that your gf is Sarah Bowman...she's the only decent looking one on the team :p

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
twoodcc said:
do you have an HDTV? and which one would you recommend?
I actually have two HDTVs, both 720p LCDs. 1 Samsung I love and one Toshiba I love to hate. Bringing the total number of LCD screens in the house to 5 including the ones on the computers. :D There's only one 20" CRT SDTV still in service. Shard's HDTV thread is a great place for HDTV info on MR.

I would really suggest getting the motivation for the TV first, e.g. the PS3 so that you don't feel ripped off when you pay that much for a TV and still play 480i content on it. :p This tends to cause you to spend more money, which you didn't have in the first place since you spent it all on a TV.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.