Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I used to have a Brother brand printer that sucked. It used ink testing itself when I was away and it wouldnt let you print if one color was empty. I want a replacement printer. Any suggestions for a printer that won't do those thing?

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
i've always user HP printers- Hp deskjet, Hp Laserjet, and now HP Photosmart.. by far i <3 HP printers.. you can either buy online [look for coupons and sign up for HP Academy for max savings] or see if you can find a cheaper model.

i9 also recommend you get the XL ink.. those cost a bit more [but you could get both color and black and white XL for about 60 bucks.. and last time i checked they offered FREE next day delivery

my dad was asking about the cheapest place to buy ink, so i printed email this to him.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...TNu0O83Had_IwV03IJNC52x9obI2_neGt2YQV1g&hl=en

of course tax varies per location and all, and i just realized that the zipcode in the document isn't mine :p lolz

my model is HP Photosmart C4680 and it is the, wait no.. THE best printer everrrr :)

EDIT in the PDF document, it hsould be $10 less.. i forgot to add the coupon for $10 of $50 :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I used to have a Brother brand printer that sucked. It used ink testing itself when I was away and it wouldnt let you print if one color was empty. I want a replacement printer. Any suggestions for a printer that won't do those thing?

After my first Epson printer which behaved just like that, I switched to a laser printer. You'll have to look around a bit for the best price, but there is always some model that is available cheap. Even if you just use up the toner cartridge that it comes with, it will be cheaper than an inkjet.

Example: Samsung ML-1910 B/W laser printer for £49. An older model worked for me for five years, with replacement toner bought for £20. Never failed to print correctly the first time.

Last edited:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
After my first Epson printer which behaved just like that, I switched to a laser printer. You'll have to look around a bit for the best price, but there is always some model that is available cheap. Even if you just use up the toner cartridge that it comes with, it will be cheaper than an inkjet.

Example: Samsung ML-1910 B/W laser printer for £49. An older model worked for me for five years, with replacement toner bought for £20. Never failed to print correctly the first time.

+1.

I'd rather spend a bit more on a laser printer. in less than a year you make up for the price difference with less wasted ink, no dried out cartridges, much less wasted paper and ink.

in addition they tend to be much faster and overall more convenient.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I tend to agree, unless you're printing a lot of pictures and color accuracy is a big deal.

Then, I'd go with an HP inkjet that lets you upgrade one color as you need to, instead of all colors (CMYK).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have To Say

Inkjets cost. It's the way of things I'm afraid. If you can afford it (and they have come down in price) get a colour laser for day to day stuff, and an Epson or HP wifi enabled for glossy photo work.

Check out laser printers on google, you might be surprised just how cheap they are now

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Love my Brother. HE's not a colorful guy. He's a B&W type. Sharp as a laser though.

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
I've got a Brother Laser for less than $100. Faster and consumables much cheaper per page. Only B&W but I never use color anyway.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I have a cheapy ($100) Canon MP490 All-In-One printer. Does the job, and scanner is Lion compatible. It's inkjet, the replacements are somewhat expensive - black is about $26 and the color is about $28. It's important to ignore the icons indicating how much ink remains. It drops fast, but you can do a lot of printing/copying after the indicators show the need to replace.

Copying is slow, but printing and scanning works well. Canon has it's own printing app, so don't need to use iCapture. Canon's app works very well.

If you don't need a super fast, high volume printer, this is a pretty good choice.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
+1.

I'd rather spend a bit more on a laser printer. in less than a year you make up for the price difference with less wasted ink, no dried out cartridges, much less wasted paper and ink.

in addition they tend to be much faster and overall more convenient.

This.

You can find a laser for under 100 (I'm using a Brother MFP). 2 years later, and I am still on the original toner cartridge. Sure, I forgo color, but totally worth it. Printing is fast, crystal clear, and I don't go through cartridges 2-3 times per year.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm going to give my printer shout out to Samsung. Yeah, the printer is nice, but where they really shine is the drivers. I really appreciate the fact that they make a simple stupid monochrome driver that's only a few megs in size. I've had a CLP-315W for over a year now, and the printer has done its job without running out of toner at all so far. The drivers stay out of the way, on both Windows and OS X, and the toner carts aren't too expensive as far as laser printers go. Overall, I'd recommend a Samsung printer.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I'd recommend whatever B/W laser printer is on sale in a given week from your local Walmart, Best Buy, Office Depot, or Staples. Buy it, and run the toner dry. Then keep an eye on a store offering trade-in credit, and go get a new printer with a refilled toner cartidge for cheaper than a single replacement tonor would cost you.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have several Brother printers. I have a B&W laser AIO that sits on the network and can scan to ftp (but not to email without a PC). I have a B&W wireless that sits in the upstairs hallway outside the kids' bedrooms for all their homework printouts. I have a color laser that sits in my office only used occasionally and I've never had a problem with any of them. Well once my Macbook forgot how to print to one of them and I had to reboot but one easily solved incident in 3+ years is my idea of easy to use.

The drivers come with OS X. I replaced an HP inkjet that worked but was almost always out of ink. I got tired of buying $75 ink bottles just so I could print one or two pages. I do think the printers "cry wolf" for toner more than I'd like but other than that they are great printers. I have never owned a Brother inkjet.

I thought about getting an HP printer just to use Airprint but then I discovered an OS X app (Printopia, which was part of a recent MacUpdate Bundle) that allows Airprint to any Mac compatible printer. I received a document that needed to be printed out for my daughter. I printed it from my iPad. No trip downstairs to print it from the computer. Brother printers + Printopia on my Mac = easy printing from any iOS device. Of course Printopia should work with other brands but I've only tested it with our Brother networked printers.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007

For a B&W laser printer I would recommend a Brother brand.
For color I would recommend a Canon PIXMA. Individual inks that never clog like my Epsons ALWAYS did!

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I have a Brother Laser too. It prints on both sides of the page, has Wireless, ethernet and only costed me $99. Not to mention, the high yield cartridge is only $30-40 on Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.