what's holding you Back from an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iCantwait, Dec 27, 2007.

1. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

ok so who here regrets the iPod touch and just wants an iPhone? I ordered an iPod touch after they came up in the online store. But its just there was way too much clutter in my pockets with wallet iPod and phone. I just find it soooooo much better having an all in one device. WITH a camera is awsome.

My iPhone is unlocked in australia. Its really good for taking photos of my kangaroo with!!!!!

unlocking is easy, don't bother with expensive plans, the iPhone would still be popular without visual voicemail.

Typed on my iPhone

2. Bkram1 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking abut gettng an ipod touch but I also want an Iphone, I also live in aus. I was wondring how much u paid for ur iphone and how much did u sell ur touch for?

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

4. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

well I got a mate to get an iPhone in the states when he was over there on business. So it was about usd420. So about a$500. The iPhones on ebay a way over priced. The cheapest I could find was $usd520 to get over here. I sold my 16gb touch for $250 because it had a Broken screen. So iLove iPhone

I screwed the title because I missed typed on my iPhone keyboard

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I have to admit evey time I hear the iphone advert music I look at the tv in disgust cause it keeps taunting me going ha ha you have a touch and I'm an iPhone you want me dont you? lol

if I had the choice to swap my touch for the phone for free I would but with the cost of an unllocked phone I am just gonna wait I thinks I got a sony K850i at the min and happy enough with that and my touch

6. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

unlocking an iPhone takes less than twenty minutes. Unlocking guides are all over MR. It takes 3 steps. Soooo easy. I reccommend it

7. nba1341 macrumors regular

i'm happy with tmobile and my phone through them

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You can edit the title. Just click edit on your original post. (also you may then need to click "go advanced," I forget)

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

1. iPhone isn't available in Canada.
    2. My cell provider isn't GSM.
    3. I drain too much battery life.

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

• The fact it needs unlocking in the first place
    • That I can't have it on pay-as-you-go on Orange in the UK without hassle
    • The cost
    • Lack of a decent camera compared my k800i

12. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I agree with all the above, particularly the first point. I am with Vodafone and simply do not want - and actually resent - to be forced to deal with two providers for my family mobile needs. Also O2 coverage in the UK is spotty at best. In addition to the above add:

* It needs more capacity (at least 16GB, preferably more)
    * It needs 3G
    * It needs GPS
    * It needs to handle Flash (also a Touch issue)

Add in the above and let me decide which provider I choose to go with and I'll buy a handful of the b*ggers for my me and my family. But until then (probably Version 3+ I guess) I'll happily stay with my Vodafone/Nokia 6300 and play with the iPod Touch, which is a great, great iPod.

Vanilla

13. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

14. godisjustpreten macrumors member

"what's holding you back from an iPhone?"

Simple - the phone part. When the iPhone came out, I was impressed, but wished they had just left the phone out of it. A few months later, the Touch came out.

Combining a phone and anything else is just awful. Battery life is affected, and in my opinion, it's horrible to combine devices. It reminds me of those damn TVs that used to have the VCRs built in. When your VCR breaks, what do you do?

Regarding battery life - I don't want to have to cut off talking to someone because I'm worried that I won't be able to watch a movie later (or browse the web) without recharging.

It's simple:
    device.merge(mediaPlayer,phone) < mediaPlayer + phone

15. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

One word, AT&T. I also have a very inexpensive good call plan with excellent call quality. If I change over to the iphone, I am looking to spend at least double what I pay now. Not an exciting prospect.

16. franzmueller macrumors regular

reason ? no iphone in Spain until sometime ( late ) 08 , but when it arrives i get one for sure :D

Saludos

17. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I had just signed a new contract with o2 and it would of meant I would of had to paid £269 for the phone and then £269 to change tariff and then pay £10 more per month for less calls and less texts so. But I don't use my phone additively so it doesn't matter to me.

18. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I would love an iphone but cant afford to jump from my £5 a month payg to £35. You might say unlock it but I wouldnt do that. Besides I would still spend more browsing out and about.

Looks like I might get the touch instead and join 'the cloud'. Kind of hoping apple might put maps and mail on the touch at some point (again i understand that this can be done by jailbreaking!)

19. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

1. Not available in the Netherlands
    2. Expensive plans
    3. I don't think it's all that pretty (not a deal breaker)

But for now, I have an iPod touch :)

20. Kkatyboo macrumors member

21. MonkeyClaw macrumors regular

MonkeyClaw

My profession as it stands now is primarily leading people into the woods on trips and so my cell phone right now needs to be something that will stand up to the elements. Plus I don't have ATT and verizon is much better in the mountains where I live.

So with that I basically already have a great phone thats water, shock, dust, etc proof with a different carrier. As much as I would love an iPhone, I don't need one. So I got an iPod Touch and now I have all the goodies of an iPhone minus the phone and thats all I need :D

22. tefleming macrumors 6502

qft

and maybe also because there's wireless everywhere i need it.

23. godisjustpreten macrumors member

Also, I think someone already mentioned this, but AT&T doesn't work in my area. You have to go with Verizon.
    And I am not kidding that I would be willing to pay more money to get a device *without* a phone. That's how important getting the damn phone away from the cool media/web features is. It's like asking Nokia n800/810 fans why they didn't get a Nokia cell phone. They bought the n800/n810 *because* it doesn't have the phone.

If someone offered a media player/web browser device with built-in electric razor, I would feel the same way. I have a razor that I shave with every day that works fine.

24. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I tend to drop my phone on occassion. I travel a lot and I've probably dropped my Blackberry about once a month. The lovely glass screen would be toast if I owned one. I'm worried enough about my itouch, but its not a device that I pull out multiple times per day.