What's in your handbag (or manbag)?

L

Lau

Original poster
Inspired by this thread, and the discussions therein, what do you always carry with you everywhere?

And what do you carry as "optional extras"?

1st pic - what I carry everywhere: diary, book, sketchbook, water, wallet, railcard, keys, phone, lipbalm, Smints, pencil case, iPod cable, iPod, and the Canon PowerShot S60 I used to take the photo. :)

2nd pic, have been known to carry on occasion - any number of odd cameras (here shown a Holga and an old Polaroid, SprayMount (not for highs, though sometimes an occupational hazard) tape, metal ruler, stack of unnecesarily heavy textbooks (dissertation - ugh) PowerBook (<3) long cable, because my college is a bit power socket unfriendly, magazines.

Over to y'all....

Attachments

L

Lau

Original poster
skunk said:
If you think I'm letting you see inside my handbag, you're having a laugh.
Fair enough.

skunk said:
Anyway, I think yours has been bowdlerized.
Not the case, sorry. I refrained from including: today's bus ticket, a tissue, a receipt and a bit of paper telling my temping instructions for today. And they aren't what I carry every day.
:)

C

CompUser

Original poster
I have a north face recon backpack.

It contains:
Books
Lots of Binders
Pens and Pencils
Ti 84 Silver Edition
Keys
Cell Phone
iPod Nano (sometimes)

(No I do not have a hemet in it)

L

Lau

Original poster
skunk said:
Actually, I must confess I haven't got one.
:( :eek: :rolleyes:

Did have a really groovy tasselled collection circa 1971, though....
Skunk, come on! Every self respecting man has a ....man purse.

Possibly. ;)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
The absolute "don't leave home without them" essentials:
Purse, keys, mobile phone, Oystercard, lip balm

"Usually but not always" items:
iPod (leave it at home if i'm going out on the piss)
A pen and a scrap of paper

"Sometimes" items:
Work security pass (i usually work from home)
Small mirror compact thing and a couple of make-up items

"Weather dependent" items (these are also a factor in which handbag i choose as they don't fit in my nano-sized bags):
Umbrella
Sunglasses

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i have a messenger bag that goes almost everywhere with me...

in it i always have a notepad and paper, my cell phone, my iPod Mini, whatever book i am currently reading, my work cell phone, pens, wallet/money, keys, the normal essentials.

edit: forgot to say that i always have excedrin migraine, or at least tylenol with me as well.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
h'ok. I am notorious for carrying too much crap.
here goes:
Wallet
graphing calculator
normal calculator
cell phone
water
batteries
pumpkin seeds
sunflower seeds
sometimes a sammich
iPod shuffle
digicam
year-old receipts
a few superballs (for the nephew)
business cards (none are mine; when I get a business card from someone, I just throw it in my purse and it floats around in there for a while)
aspirin
tyenol
vitamins
throat lozenges
sometimes a normal iPod
little "notes-to-self" journal
pens, pencils, highlighter
contact lens case
contact solution
Aveda Lip Saver (OMG. THIS STUFF IS AWESOME. THE $8/TUBE IS TOTALLY JUSTIFIED IF YOU TRY IT. I SWEAR.)
keys
like $5 in change that is in the bottom of my purse.
some light reading (usually a printed and folded up Greenspan Speech.)

and this is not in a large bag.
Medium sized. Somehow, I still have room in it... Hmmm..

I carry too much stuff. Imagine what'll happen when I'm crazy, old, and rich (in that order)

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
My brother has a Jack Spade man purse. I give him a hard time about it quite frequently.

I carry around this bag most of the time:

The items that I carry around with or without that bag are the following:
1) Pocket PC
2) 2-way pager (need it for work)
3) Cell phone
4) Color iPod
I'm really looking forward to the day when I can find a convergence device to truly replace the above four devices.
5) Fountain pen (love them)
6) Keys
7) Wallet

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Don't have a hand bag but I do keep a fair amount in my pockets. Ah, the beauty of being a male is that your clothes actually have pockets that can hold stuff.

Anyway I always carry:

Cell phone
Keys
Retainer case (just got my braces off)
Wallet, has 2 photo IDs, credit cards, cash and some other random papers

Depending if I am wearing glasses or contacts and what the weather is I may have a glasses cleaner cloth or sunglasses.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Off-topic.

I was at several weddings recently and I noticed that the women who danced on the dancefloor with their purse or handbag in tow usually are the ones who don't know the bride or groom very well. It was a strange observation that my wife pointed out to me.

On topic. I don't own a handbag. But I do own a fanny pack. Last visit to Las Vegas, a fanny pack carrying the wallet and plane tickets, comes in real handy.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
yippy said:
Don't have a hand bag but I do keep a fair amount in my pockets. Ah, the beauty of being a male is that your clothes actually have pockets that can hold stuff.

Anyway I always carry:

Cell phone
Keys
Retainer case (just got my braces off)
Wallet, has 2 photo IDs, credit cards, cash and some other random papers

Depending if I am wearing glasses or contacts and what the weather is I may have a glasses cleaner cloth or sunglasses.
Ah, crap. You just reminded me that I should probably wear my retainers some time... I got my braces off 6 years ago, and I haven't worn my retainers since at least freshman year! EEP!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I have these bags:

School backpack, and my own pockets (wow, Pockets, SO 1980-70-60-50-whenever! pockets are awesome!)

Pockets:
Left:
iPod, Money/Wallet, keys

Right: Cell Phone and important notes

Backpack: top media pocket: iPod
big pocket - binders, textbooks, and an assignment pad
small pocket - deodorant, glasses
end pocket - water
last, smallest pocket - garbage, like breakfast bar rappers that i eat on the go.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Every morning when I get up and get dressed, I put the following in my pockets. I never leave home without them.

Change
Cell phone
Keys
Wallet
Handkerchief

That's it. In my bag that I have for school and such, I keep two pencils, a pen, a calculator and a rotation of notebooks and text books.

EDIT: Huzzah! 500th post! Finally!

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Lau said:
Inspired by this thread, and the discussions therein, what do you always carry with you everywhere?

And what do you carry as "optional extras"?

1st pic - what I carry everywhere: diary, book, sketchbook, water, wallet, railcard, keys, phone, lipbalm, Smints, pencil case, iPod cable, iPod, and the Canon PowerShot S60 I used to take the photo. :)

2nd pic, have been known to carry on occasion - any number of odd cameras (here shown a Holga and an old Polaroid, SprayMount (not for highs, though sometimes an occupational hazard) tape, metal ruler, stack of unnecesarily heavy textbooks (dissertation - ugh) PowerBook (<3) long cable, because my college is a bit power socket unfriendly, magazines.

Over to y'all....
Yay, I inspired somebody! And no, I don't have a manbag. Although...that solar one is pretty sweet...and my student loans are in...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't carry a bag of any sort. I just use my pockets, in one of three configurations:

• Cellphone in left pocket, keys and wallet in right pocket
  • iPod in left pocket, keys, wallet and cellphone in right pocket
  • With one particular pair of jeans, my (full-size) iPod fits in the "nano pocket" :cool:

L

Lau

Original poster
Lacero said:
Off-topic.

I was at several weddings recently and I noticed that the women who danced on the dancefloor with their purse or handbag in tow usually are the ones who don't know the bride or groom very well. It was a strange observation that my wife pointed out to me.
In Essex, where, sadly, I am from, dancing round your handbag is a highly charged chav attracting mating signal....

Put me off handbags (and, indeed, Essex) for years. :p

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
This thread has got me thinking-- why don't men carry bags?

not a "MAN PURSE" but a "european carryall" or something like that.

I think they'd appreciate it.. y'all must have huge dents in your butt from sitting on a wallet all day..

So, why don't men carry bags? *scratches chin*

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, I take my Timbuk2 bag everywhere with me, so I guess it's a "manbag" of sorts. Let's go through it, shall we?

Screwdriver (one of those multi-head ones)
Metric Hex set
Pliers
bike patch kit
bike pump
Powerbook + charger
Palm Zire
Silver sharpie + pen
iPod shuffle + headphones

There's also a lot of random papers that probably don't need to be in there, so I won't count them. There was also an onion in there for about a week just because I kept forgetting it, but I took it out this morning.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My wallet is very thin, so no problem at all Katie. ;)

I carry a very simple bag given to me for participating in a research study. Carry pens, mints, tissues, and papers that I need.

Nanda Devi

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
East Lansing, Michigan
I always carry a very small purse and it always has the following items in it:

Gum (Trident original)
Carmex
Change purse thingy that holds credit cards, ID and dough, but I rarely have cash on me

The purse then goes into a backpack I carry to work everday, that always has the following items in it:

My lunch for that day
iPod (mini, in sock)
Whatever book I'm reading

Car keys usually go in a jacket pocket.

That's it... I try to keep things as minimal as possible.
:)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
katie ta achoo said:
This thread has got me thinking-- why don't men carry bags?

not a "MAN PURSE" but a "european carryall" or something like that.

I think they'd appreciate it.. y'all must have huge dents in your butt from sitting on a wallet all day..

So, why don't men carry bags? *scratches chin*
Probably partly because mens clothing tends to have usable pockets when women's don't and partly because women usually carry more, like make-up, tampons, handkerchief, chap-stick, ext.