What's New in iOS 11 Beta 5: iCloud Messages Delayed, New Icons, Control Center Music Changes and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple seeded the fifth beta of iOS 11 to developers this morning, fixing existing bugs, introducing new bugs, and adding some tweaks to various features and design choices.

We've outlined all of the changes Apple has made to iOS 11 in the fifth update in the video and the post below.

- Messages in iCloud - Apple's iCloud Messages feature, which allows iMessages to be stored in iCloud to free up space on an iOS or Mac device, has been removed in iOS 11 beta 5. Apple says the feature will be re-released in a future update to iOS 11, suggesting there are no plans to add it back to the version of iOS 11 that will launch in September alongside new iOS devices. It's not clear why the iCloud Messages feature has been removed or exactly when it'll come back.

- Control Center Music Icon - The Music app in the Control Center has been redesigned with a new pulsating indicator that lists nearby audio sources like AirPods, speakers, and AirPlay devices. When the indicator is tapped, it opens up a list of sources that can be quickly selected, making it easier to connect to audio devices or AirPlay content to a television.

[​IMG]

- Settings - The icon for the Settings app has been tweaked. Instead of a gray background, it has a black background, making the gears more prominent.

[​IMG]

- Camera - The icon for the Camera app has also been subtly tweaked, introducing a simpler design that does away with the two lines that used to be present.

- Screen Recording - When recording your iPhone or iPad screen, the indicator bar that lets you know recording is taking place is now red instead of blue, making it more prominent.

[​IMG]

iOS 11 beta 5 is limited to developers at the current time, but Apple will likely introduce the changes in a fourth public beta that we expect to see later this week.

Article Link: What's New in iOS 11 Beta 5: iCloud Messages Delayed, New Icons, Control Center Music Changes and More

2. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

Screen recording is a great new feature. Will be very helpful for tech support, troubleshooting remotely, etc.

3. JesperA macrumors 6502a

So what happens to those of us that used the public beta and enabled the iCloud Message thing? Could Apple be stupid enough to clear all those messages from the iPhone?

4. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

This has to be fake news. I only trust the HomePod firmware.:p:D

5. Eric Knight macrumors newbie

6. harley3k macrumors 6502

harley3k

Really wish I could select which BLUETOOTH device I want to connect to from here.

7. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

No more lines on the camera icon?! :mad: Well, that's it; Android, here I come!

8. nikicampos, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017

nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Control Center really looks like a cluster****

9. ApostolisApo macrumors newbie

ApostolisApo

At the first glance, yes. But after some hours you appreciate its compactness

10. Kapangas macrumors member

The volume indicator is appearing over videos again... :(

11. ApostolisApo macrumors newbie

ApostolisApo

Does anyone know if Apple disabled the blue bar for apps using your location all the time? Moves seems to no longer spam me

12. Hertelsf macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if sync will still work? If I delete a message on my ipad will it delete on phone?

13. CarletonTorpin macrumors member

14. malko macrumors member

I upgraded my wife's iPhone 6S to public beta 3 two weeks ago just for the cloud messages. She's got a 16GB phone and is short on storage so this feature was a godsend.

Do you think she can stay in that beta until it's back in a future version of ios? Or will apple stop syncing her messages?

15. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Good for streaming mobile games too because people like the Hearthstones of the world. Not into mobile gaming, just know that is a huge title, so I am not sure if Twitch already committed to screen recording on iOS 11. I do know it was a feature with the Galaxy w/ live recording for games.

16. Jlcollins macrumors member

Jlcollins

My battery is still garbage. Guess I’ll try again in two weeks.

17. Schneipi macrumors newbie

Schneipi

Tested my app with the latest Xcode and iOS 11 beta 5, no more blue bar for me at least.

18. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

She can still stay in beta without updating because I don't know if Apple forces people to update with the new beta versions.

19. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Personal preference. It's definitely a radical visual change. I definitely appreciate the single page and the customizability. I really wish you could rearrange the order of the default icons. I'd love to be able to customize the position of everything (i.e. place music controls at bottom right corner, etc)

20. Schneipi macrumors newbie

Schneipi

I agree. Also the ability to rearrange in Control Center, without switching to Settings, would be great.

21. freezedroidSucks macrumors newbie

freezedroidSucks

So, have they fixed the contacts in edit mode? In contacts and edit mode, my info shows correct until I scroll down and then back up. After that, my phone numbers and emails go to numerical symbols.

Attached Files:

22. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

The betas expire, I wouldn't rely on staying on an old beta long term.

23. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

I still don't like white circle button for taking picture. It's still confusing to me. I missed good ol' camera icon on shutter button.

24. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

+1 screen recording.

The better contrast in the Settings icon, works. Also like the cleaner camera icon. More in-line with a modern digital SLR. Tho how much longer before the camera icon is an iPhone silhouette? :p

25. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I just want that annoying blue location bar to go. Oh and the wifi toggle to actually turn off WiFi..